News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Really glad my exams are finished this week, other wise I, and a lot of other college students, would of been really screwed !

I suspect that the strike will last just long enough to have the savings on wages match the cost of the increases. It will provide a win / win for everyone expect the citizens of Toronto.

Will people be able to use Kipling station for GO since Kipling is supposed to be under GO control now?

MT will still service Islington with regularly service and stay on the road. The 3 hr parking limited around GO station in Mississauga will not be enforce.

GO could put more rail service on "ALL" of the line since most equipment is sitting idle outside peak time in the first place. Better control with the RR to do this even if not a schedule run.

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/080418_ttc_strike_restrictions.pdf

Quick reference guide to no parking zones, parking zones, and new Bike Lanes. I for one am glad I dont drive, as traffic on QQ is gonna be hellish with the curb lanes being turned into bike lanes only, esspecially after the Jays game on Monday. What I dont get is why these bike lanes are not set up predominatly on the ROW, and how exactly its going to work in the short one lane stretch between Lower Spadina and Maple Leaf Quay / Peter Quay / What ever the heck its called....

GO will be busy for sure, I remember the last Strike.

It was 7:30 and the parking lot and the 2000 spot parking lot was already full.

usually it gets full after 9:00 PM.

It is not only TTC riders but people who will not drive today.

Is TTC an essential service?

While it may not directly influence the possibility of a current TTC strike, it may influence the negotiations:

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/415964

Robert Benzie
Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Faced with the looming threat of a transit strike, Premier Dalton McGuinty says it may be time to consider declaring the Toronto Transit Commission an essential service.

"If there was some kind of an approach made within the course of the next three years by the city of Toronto ... saying we have decided ourselves that it would be a good thing for us to have our public transit system essential, that is something that we, at Queen's Park, would have to consider," McGuinty said this morning.

While such a move could not come in time to avert job action by 8,900 Amalgamated Transit Union employees Monday, McGuinty’s willingness to consider it suggests the province is unwilling to let transit in Canada's largest city be derailed by a strike.

The TTC’s unionized workers have given negotiators until 4 p.m. Sunday to reach a contract settlement. If they don’t meet that deadline, workers will be told to walk out staring Monday at 4 a.m.

McGuinty and Labour Minister Brad Duguid are watching the talks closely and back-to-work legislation is widely expected if there is a walkout.

Emergency workers such as police and firefighters are already classified as essential services, and as such are forbidden by law from striking. They usually gain healthy wage settlements thanks to arbitration.

On Thursday, TTC chair Adam Giambrone said he had not had any discussions with the province about the strike threat, or about declaring the TTC an essential service.

"For us right now, we have an environment where we have a negotiated settlement," Giambrone said. "We're committed to that negotiated process. It's not up to the TTC, a decision around essential services."

When pressed about whether the TTC should be an essential service, Giambrone said he was “not going to deal with hypothetical situations right now."

With files from John Spears

A tentative agreement has been reached. The union is recommending ratification. More details to follow.

w00t, as much as i was looking forward to rollerblading to work tomorrow.

Bob Kinnear was wearing a cap today instead of gelling his hair. Maybe the lack of weight on his head made him come to his senses ;)

From the Globe
[Kinnear] said he's happy with the three-year tentative agreement, which resulted in no need for concessions and will make Toronto Transit Commission workers the best paid in the Greater Toronto Area.

Abject capitulation by TTC management. Nice to see that they bargained hard for the cash strapped city and it's rate payers.

Toronto's finances will only become sustainable once the unions (and the Police are due for a much sweeter deal) are brought under control.

From the Globe

Abject capitulation by TTC management. Nice to see that they bargained hard for the cash strapped city and it's rate payers.

Toronto's finances will only become sustainable once the unions (and the Police are due for a much sweeter deal) are brought under control.

you should find out about the sweet deal the firefighters already got, (and was kept underwraps) with out having to play hardball like the TTC and Police have to do.

What are the details of the discussion, what is making the talks get held up. This is only tentative so it will be interesting to see how the talks hold out toward a permanent contract.

Is the union most upset over benefits or is it pay or what exactly is the main cause this time around?

I hate unions and if they were to go on strike this time, it would be the last time i set foot on any TTC vehicle.

I hate unions and if they were to go on strike this time, it would be the last time i set foot on any TTC vehicle.
"This particular union can be dicks sometimes, thus I hate all unions."

Nice one there. I, for one, enjoyed the days of zero protection for workers. Now excuse me while I finish my treatise on Social Darwinism and read up on those latest diplomatic tensions between Serbia and Austria-Hungary.

Back