News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Will Mississauga buses drive Toronto wild?

By: John Stewart

April 22, 2008 08:08 AM - When negotiators for Mississauga Transit and the Amalgamated Transit Union's Local 1572 sit down to talk contract in their next round of negotiations, a lot of people in Toronto — especially the politicians — will be holding their collective breath.

That's because the deal struck between the TTC and the City of Toronto contains a new "GTA clause" that will ensure TTC drivers earn more than bus drivers in the rest of the region.

As the details of the new contract are being revealed, a lot of observers are criticizing Toronto for exporting its labour negotiations to another municipality.

"I think it's a mistake to have done that," said veteran Toronto Councillor Doug Holyday. "If for some reason, another community gives a higher rate, then we're stuck with that. We've turned over control. It's not wise."

If, at the end of 2009, TTC drivers are earning less than their counterparts in other cities, they will get an increase of five cents an hour above the wage earned by the other drivers. TTC drivers have been earning five cents an hour less than those in Mississauga, something which was a sticking point in negotiations.

"There's no reason to think it will set a precedent," said TTC chair Adam Giambrone. "What's the difference of five cents an hour? We're not really too concerned about that."

In a column in The National Post, columnist Peter Kuitenbrouwer slammed the "minefields" of the new TTC deal.

He argued that, "the TTC has handed authority over its budget to Carolyn Parrish and other municipal politicians in Mississauga, Brampton and elsewhere in the 905, possibly creating a unfunded liability of an unknown size."

Councillor Brian Ashton joked that the initiative could set another precedent — for councillors' salaries. Mississauga councillors, who also serve on Peel Region, earn about $115,000 or $20,000 more than their counterparts in Toronto.

"If I could get parity with Mississauga councillors, then I could afford to go to Mississauga,” Ashton said.

The 900 members of the Mississauga transit union, whose drivers earn $26.63 an hour, start contract talks this summer with the City. Their contract expires Sept. 30.

I'm with the right-wing critics on this GTA clause. That's something that's very unfair. The whole point of negotiations is to determine the wages and benefits workers get over the length of the contract, which in this case, is 3 years. At negotiation time, it's fine to use other contracts as precedent for your own, but this is automatic!

Otherwise, 3 percent a year is standard, even if it is a bit high vis-a-vis inflation. I'm not entirely against the 100% pay for sick/injury days, as long as they were work-related or an allowance for severe illnesses, but concerned about abuse if there's no incentive to go back to work.

I would hope though that we got, if nothing else, the end of us paying the income taxes of TTC workers as a way to pay for some of this rather sweet deal.

Wage increases exceeding the rate of inflation year after year are not sustainable over the long term.
Why not? It's been working that way since at least Victorian times.

Anyway, leaving the macroeconomics aside, it's not valid to compare wages to CPI. You should compare to the increase in wages - which someone reports - but I don't have at hand - it's normally on the second last page of the Economist though.

Ignoring that ... if we have labour shortages, how can you argue that the increases are too high?

so now if MT Drivers put in a "5 cent an hour premium over TTC drivers" clause, then they'll be in a continuous increase in each others wages! It's genius!

Transit unions surprised by TTC deal

By: The Mississauga News

April 23, 2008 09:58 AM - Transit unions in Mississauga and Brampton are openly questioning the wisdom of a deal between the TTC and the City of Toronto that makes the wages of TTC drivers contingent on negotiations in the suburbs.
Vito Thomas, the long-time president of the Amalgamated Transit Union's Local 1573, which represents Mississauga Transit drivers, told The National Post that he's surprised by the deal.
“If I negotiate, just for example, a six per cent raise, are you saying to me now that they are going to match that?,†said Tomas.
If, at the end of 2009, TTC drivers are earning less than their counterparts in other cities under the new deal, they will get an increase of five cents an hour above the other drivers' wage. TTC drivers have been earning five cents an hour less than those in Mississauga, who earn $26.63 per hour. That had been a sticking point in negotiations.
In negotiating the clause, TTC union leaders said their drivers deserve higher wages because it’s harder to drive in Toronto than in the 905.
But Tomas and Stan Dera, the president of ATU Local 1573, which represents 500 Brampton Transit workers, strongly disputed that statement.
“It wasn’t a very nice comment,†Dera told The Post. “We have overcrowding, not enough buses. People get upset, there’s not enough room, and when the next bus comes along the driver gets the brunt of it.â€
Buses in Mississauga are also overcrowded, Tomas said.
Owing to the stress his drivers face, “Am I going to ask for less than what the TTC got? Certainly not.â€
The Mississauga Transit contract expires Sept. 30. Talks are to begin soon on a new deal. Labour relations in Mississauga and Brampton have generally been much less adversarial than those in Toronto.
Dera says that's no accident.
“The last two contracts we actually settled before the last contract expired,†he said. “I personally don’t like to put stress on my members (through threats of a strike.) Members can’t make that purchase, can’t plan for a holiday. We got an excellent contract that we can live with, and we didn’t have to go through this charade.â€
jstewart@mississauga.net

According to CityNews, the union executives walked out of the meeting last night, which does not bode well for the contract vote today... we'll see what happens.

Transit Union Divided Over Deal

Thursday April 24, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff
The deal that saved the city from commuter chaos may be in trouble.
TTC workers are set to vote on the agreement that averted a transit strike and it's uncertain if the majority of employees will cast a ballot in favour of the tentative contract despite the fact their union president urged them to accept it.
The top brass of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113, which represents 8,900 TTC workers, gathered to discuss the fine print of the deal Wednesday but seven of the 15 executive board members expressed their dissatisfaction by walking out of the meeting and refusing to endorse the agreement.
TTC workers vote on the tentative contract Friday.
On Sunday ATU Local 113 President Bob Kinnear said he didn't get everything he wanted in the deal, but said the union made serious inroads when it comes to benefit improvements and other issues and said he has no problem recommending the offer for ratification.
But the tentative agreement didn't impress everyone, including the union vice president who has voted against it.
Compensation for injured workers, benefit improvements and wage parity with transit workers across the GTA were sticking points in the negotiations. After talks went down to the wire, passing the 4pm deadline Sunday, Kinnear announced a strike had been averted. The TTC offered a three-year agreement that includes a three percent pay hike annually - making them the best paid transit workers in the GTA - and phased-in benefit improvements.
Hundreds of maintenance employees are apparently upset over the issue of contracting out work and have signalled they'll vote against the deal.
Transit commissioners have already ratified the deal.
News of union unrest has some TTC riders expecting the worst.
"I have to take the TTC into work every day ... and if I can't get to work, I can't make money," transit commuter Doug Ferguson said Thursday morning.
City council will be voting on a motion next week to ask the province to make the TTC an essential service.

Wow. This continues to get interesting. ATU local vs. ATU local, a sweet settlement for bus drivers that might not be so sweet for all. Crazy.

50% +1 is all it needs. But with a low vote, it would be an embarrasment for Bob Kinnear.

Shows you the -- shall we say, militant -- mentality within the executive. Some of these guys evidently want a strike so badly, they're willing to throw away what just about everyone else agreed was a pretty sweet deal.

I'm sure in the end the rank and file will ratify it, though.

All I can say is "LOL"

The club district is going to be interesting tonight when the crowds let out to find no streetcars, buses or subways running. Its a beautiful day, im sure the clubs are packed. Exams are also done for most people in university meaning more reason to go out tonight. Add alcohol to the mix and Toronto might be in for a wild ride.

So they gave riders less than two hours notice, and they wonder why their job is so tough? They make it tough on themselves. This is not so different form that illegal strike... riders are going to be pissed.

holy crap! it's on like donkey kong!

just heard on shitty news, lasting a week at least!

Back