News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think driverless buses and streetcars is a better idea. The people who drive the subway don't annoy me as much the ones who drive the buses and streetcars.

Somehow, he'd suit Scarborough (Wayne's World legacy + all)
otto.gif

I think driverless buses and streetcars is a better idea. The people who drive the subway don't annoy me as much the ones who drive the buses and streetcars.

Interesting you wrote that. I find that in general, streetcar drivers are the nicest people in the system, followed by subway drivers, and then come the bus drivers. I think the fare collectors at subway stations the most annoying type of staff at TTC, even though their job is supposed to be customer service.

The service, in general, at the TTC is shameful. I used to spend a fair bit of time with exchange students, many from Asia, who were shocked by how rude the drivers and station attendants were. They couldn't believe it, and sometimes I can't either.

I say unions are the problem and that they are archaic and no longer needed now that labour laws are completely different from when unions first started and actually had a reason to exist. I think TTC employees are spoiled and overpaid, and transit service to Torontonians suffers tremendously and needlessly as a result. There, I said it.

Geez, any other unfounded generalizations you want to throw out there? Or are you always so open-minded?

I say unions are the problem and that they are archaic and no longer needed now that labour laws are completely different from when unions first started and actually had a reason to exist. I think TTC employees are spoiled and overpaid, and transit service to Torontonians suffers tremendously and needlessly as a result. There, I said it.
So what's with the friendly unionized London Transport workers? Or shall I name 500 other cities?

seems like a lot of money for this system. I am usually suspect about these kinds of technological fixes to reduce labour costs. Also, is it that valuable to be able to switch tracks and have the trains run on one side? Perhaps I misunderstood Moscoe on that point. I would think that incorporating an improved distace-fare system would be a higher priority, more buses, and street car ROWs.

The TTC has sent out a Request for Study Proposal to have screen doors installed on 75 locations in 69 subway stations and in the 6 stations that will be constructed within the Spadina subway extension.

Very interesting. I've always been a supporter of something like this coming to our cold climate city.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following benefits:

• Removes the possibility of suicide which results in less delays, saved cleanup costs, and saves on subway operator disability due to stress from the event.
• Climate control within stations. Saves on energy bills and improves passenger comfort.
• Reduces dust at platform level resulting in cleaner stations and less maintenance required.
• Less debris on the track means less track maintenance and no more fire delays.
• Design focus can go to passenger level areas rather than money spent on tiling/maintining subway area walls
• Signage can be improved with this new available surface.
• Passenger boarding can become more orderly since people will know where to line up.
• Subway operation automation is a pre-requisite for this system.

And some negatives:
• This will definitely cost many millions. With the TTC facing cuts and fare raises, this couldn't have come at a worse time.
• Stations will feel smaller.
• New surface for ads.
• Air flow logistics nightmare waiting to happen. Toronto's subway system and all its stations were designed with an open air flow concept in mind. Shutting that air flow can have unintended consequences.

Very interesting. I've always been a supporter of something like this coming to our cold climate city.

Funny thing to say considering that the warm air inside the tunnels provides the only source of heat to the subway platforms in the winter.

I hope the screens will be strong enough to hold back a 300 pound (136 kg) man. My cat was able to run through the screen on my patio door.

They're glass screens.

Unless your cat is made of cement, I'm guessing your screen was mesh

This is an excellent idea, at least on the surface stations. It should obviously be accompanied by proper heating systems. In the long run, they'll save money by not having to run the subway train heaters full blast all the time as they let all the heat out at every surface station. It'll also make waiting much more comfortable.

Sheppard was supposed to have platform edge doors, but they were cut as a cost-saving measure.

I imagine the trains/tracks will need some new electronic alignment system to ensure the two sets of doors line up properly...

AoD

Alvin, they're going to be installed with the pre-requisite of fully automated trains on the YUS line by 2016.

We can talk about having screen, but what good are they when platforms cannot hold today riders let alone over the next few years as oil goes up.

The stairs and exit will not handle the ridership. Platforms will have to be widen and more exit. In many places, stations platforms cannot be widen due foundation walls of building beside them.

You will have areas mark on the floor that must be keep clear for riders getting off the trains. Look what takes place today where riders are to stand aside to allow people off the trains.

Putting screens up is no simple task while keeping the station open. The screen in between the door area can be put up at night over time, but putting in the doors and testing them will require the station to be taken out of service for at least a week, let alone a weekend.

You got to test the train to make sure it is stopping in the correct spot also, otherwise it will be out of alinement's and the doors will not open.

You have to put in a ventilation system for the platform since there will be no air circulation that is done by the tunnel system today.

We are taking big $$$$ here. That 63 stations x2 = 126 screens walls with 34 doors. If we are to add a 7th car, it will need 2 doors.

If you want to put them on the stations with the high ridership only, then cost goes down. You got to get those stations without the screens telling the train you can open your doors without checking the screen system to see if the doors are open before the doors on the train or close before moving on.

Back