News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why does the air circulation need to be altered? Can't they just do a 6ft wall open above? Or install louvres over the wall if they're worried about people climbing over it.

Yes, of course platforms are crowded and only getting more crowded. Yet the TTC refuses to build any new subway lines that might relieve congestion at existing stations. Because of the extreme all-LRT fad, the only lines we're getting are surface LRTs that won't come near the travel time of existing subways. Nobody from an east-west bus route will transfer to the Don Mills streetcar instead of the Yonge subway to get downtown. The billion-dollar streetcar will provide no relief. If, however, the Don Mills line is built with rapid transit technology, likely elevated considering the width of the corridor, virtually all riders from east west bus routes will transfer to the Don Mills line for their trips to the core. This will leave the Yonge line serving only its immediate environs to the east, freeing up vast amounts of capacity for future growth and potential northern extensions.

LRT is fabulous for peripheral crosstown suburban routes, like Finch and Hurontario, and as a feeder to the subway, like McCowan and Jane, for example.

A massive project to widen and lengthen station platforms on the Yonge Line would cost far more, in money and inconvenience, than building a parallel line on Don Mills. It would also serve far fewer additional people.

They should alter air circulation because, in a climate like ours, heated subway stations are a pretty reasonable minimum in my opinion.

It's too bad they can't run LRT with it's own signal priority to stop cars as they pass. It may actually attract riders to use it to go downtown if it say looked something like this.

458469386_4c5ff404ba.jpg

Well, the $10 billion worth of LRT lines will be a catastrophe unless they have real signal priority. I certainly don't trust the TTC with the implementation of something like that. I'd like to see a GPS system that will track the LRVs at all times and that is tied in with traffic lights so that they turn green in advance of the LRV's arrival. If these things are stopping at every light like existing TTC "LRT" routes, they'll be slower than the bus, and a spectacular waste of money.

They will have signal priority, and they will have GPS.

When you have sugar and flour and an over, you tend to bake stuff.:)

Why does the air circulation need to be altered? Can't they just do a 6ft wall open above? Or install louvres over the wall if they're worried about people climbing over it.

Yes it has to be alter.

No you cannot cut louvers like you think you can as you must think what is on the other side of the wall as well above the station. It no simple task like you think. In many place you cannot without major structural changes to the building beside or above the station.

Take a look what taking place at Yonge-Dundas new entrance. TTC is building a shaft where it old stair used to be and one reason this project is taking so long.

When the rail corridors become part of 416 transit system using the same fare structure as well 5-15 minute headway, they will take a large load off the subway system for today ridership, but will be replace by future riders.

Subways have their place, but you need to build the ridership up to justify them in the first place. What good is a subway that carries 60,000 when an BRT or LRT can carry the same amount for a faction of the cost?

Why should someone get royal treatment on a route that carries less than another one that carries twice as much with buses that are always pack?

I still see 150km of subway for Toronto with the current SRT and extension as one of them. The SRT needs to die and become a subway now, not a Mark II or LRT. Extending the BD west is the next one. Love to see one for Queen as part of a U line that will go into 905.

If we build the Sheppard line as people want, we will have to short turn every 2nd train as the ridership does not support the service in the first place. Headway will become longer to justify the service in the first place.

That extra $1 B that goes into a under use line is taking service away from riders who need more service today. It will be years before since there is no money to purchase buses as well hire drivers for the extra service.

What is on the table goes along way to service everyone, not a few. If you got a gold mine, then it will pay for that subway you want.

They have screen doors in some European subways. Stockholm, I believe has one, which is not surprising, considering their suicide rate in the winter. I think it is a good idea. I've heard rumours that there's a lot more subway suicides than is reported, and it's the main factor why the TTC is having trouble attracting subway drivers.

Also, with reference to the OP, cleaning up after subway suicides has to be the worst job on the planet. I mean, that's just nasty work.

I've heard rumours that there's a lot more subway suicides than is reported, and it's the main factor why the TTC is having trouble attracting subway drivers.

As a regular rider, I'd say suicides indeed happen a lot more often than most would think based on the number of "personal injury at track level" announcements I hear in a given month. They go unreported to avoid copycat deaths, which seem to be strongly correlated.

This relatively recent Economist article comes to mind, along with a supporting letter to the editor a week later or so.

Yes it has to be alter.

No you cannot cut louvers like you think you can as you must think what is on the other side of the wall as well above the station. It no simple task like you think. In many place you cannot without major structural changes to the building beside or above the station.

No, it doesn't have to be altered. He wasn't talking about cutting a chunk out of the station's walls. He meant that the screen doesn't have to go all the way up to the ceiling. This would allow the air to continue circulating from above while providing a barrier at people level.

ie:
367834200_1d59c7981d.jpg

But hopefully something nicer looking.

And at the very least, it will be blatantly obvious if someone is trying to climb over the wall.

No, it doesn't have to be altered. He wasn't talking about cutting a chunk out of the station's walls. He meant that the screen doesn't have to go all the way up to the ceiling. This would allow the air to continue circulating from above while providing a barrier at people level.

ie:
367834200_1d59c7981d.jpg

But hopefully something nicer looking.

If someone is going to jump, these will not stop them.

Yes the air would circulate with these.

The screens shown last month was full hight.

Boy, those barriers look oppressive. If I were suicidal, those things would make me want to jump

If someone is going to jump, these will not stop them.

Yes the air would circulate with these.

The screens shown last month was full hight.

I was just using that picture as an example, it was the first thing I found. Fact is, they don't have to reach the ceiling and wouldn't require major structural work in the stations.

Heres a better example:
1290418666_8f1bc35fb4.jpg

I was just using that picture as an example, it was the first thing I found. Fact is, they don't have to reach the ceiling and wouldn't require major structural work in the stations.

Heres a better example:
1290418666_8f1bc35fb4.jpg

This will stop jumper and provide circulation.

TTC needs to look at all options, but their track record doesn't support that thinking.

A bit of info I gleaned from Wikipedia about Hong Kong MTR's platform screen door retrofit program (considered the largest such retrofit program in the world).

In June 2000, MTRCL proceeded with its plans to retrofit 2,960 pairs of platform screen doors at all 30 underground stations on the Kwun Tong Line, Tsuen Wan Line, and Island Line in a six year programme. The programme made MTR the world's first railway to undertake the retrofitting of PSDs on a passenger-carrying system already in operation. A prototype design was first introduced at Choi Hung station in the 3rd quarter of 2001. The whole installation scheme was completed in October 2005. (The original completion year was 2006.) MTRCL said that part of the cost had to be assumed by passengers HK$0.10 per passenger trip was levied on Octopus card users to help fund the HK$2 billion retrofit programme.

I was in Hong Kong at the time when some of the stations were in the process of getting screen doors. Installation took place over several days and nights, so during that time you could see half the platform protected by screen doors, while the other half did not have them. An announcement (sometimes automated) warned passengers on trains that screen doors were being installed at the next station.

Choi Hung station has three tracks and two island platforms. The centre track is the one that is used for most of the testing of screen doors. As far as I know none of the other stations had to be shut down to test screen doors.

The charging of 10 cents HK on every fare paid by Octopus Cards for screen doors was only revealed to the public during or after the project, which was quite controversial. But in the end everybody was happy about the doors, I guess.

856541512_ec1d6b665d_o.jpg

Back