News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd really like to see platform screen doors, I like something of the order of the previous photo. I saw a jumper when I was a kid and it traumatized me. Despite the thousands of times I've taken the subway since that incident, my heart still speeds up a bit each time a train enters the station. Done properly, they could also make stations more attractive and certainly reduce track maintenance.

It's too bad they can't run LRT with it's own signal priority to stop cars as they pass. It may actually attract riders to use it to go downtown if it say looked something like this.

458469386_4c5ff404ba.jpg

Ugh, 36th Street in Calgary. Great for the NE LRT line, otherwise its a hellish experience to make a left hand turn for new comers as they often get smashed by the gate for left hand turn line. Also, its not uncommon for some roads to get blocked during rush hour. If they put something like that on Eglinton it would be hellish and determential to traffic imo. Transit City just likely wont work no matter how its built unless its put into a trench.

Well Eglinton is mostly underground anyway. Don't know if it would cause those kind of problems on Malvern, Finch West, or Don Mills to that extent.

I was just using that picture as an example, it was the first thing I found. Fact is, they don't have to reach the ceiling and wouldn't require major structural work in the stations.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Tho it wouldn't be a bad idea to use something more substantial on the surface stations, to finally allow for the platforms to be heated. Warden and Vic Park get awfully cold in Februrary, makes them miserable stations to have to wait in

how do these doors work? are they held closed by using power and will they pop open in a power failure? i assume this will be the case.

I'd really like to see platform screen doors, I like something of the order of the previous photo. I saw a jumper when I was a kid and it traumatized me. Despite the thousands of times I've taken the subway since that incident, my heart still speeds up a bit each time a train enters the station. Done properly, they could also make stations more attractive and certainly reduce track maintenance.

I hear you. While living in Montreal, I saw the grim after-effects of someone who jumped in the front of a train. I also saw a woman fall onto the tracks by accident. The platform was crowded, she was disoriented from the fall, and in a panic. Fortunately some quick-thinking people managed to help her out before the metro came in.

I guess as a point of information, if you do ever see someone fall to the tracks, run to the power cut switches located at either end of the platform (where the blue light is).. break the plastic cover, and press and hold the button down for five seconds. Then use the phone adjacent to call Transit Control (3555) and let them know what's going on (unless there's action required that is more urgent).

I've had to do this once after a woman fell to the tracks at Queen Station... and made the mistake of breaking the plastic with my hands and got a nice gash... she was okay though! I left traumatized and with a bloody hand.. couldn't step on the subway again for a few weeks and had to see a shrink.

You are correct when you say that screens are designed to keep stuff out, but there are many types of screens. Mesh screens are designed to keep the bugs out. Windscreens are designed to keep the air and debris out of the car. Platform screens are designed to keep people off the tracks.

Man pushed onto subway tracks
May 21, 2008 01:46 PM
JACKSON HAYES
STAFF REPORTER
A man escaped serious injury when he was shoved onto subway tracks early this morning.

The incident occurred at the College subway station around 6 a.m.

Constable Tonyo Vella of Toronto Police said the victim, who suffered minor injuries, was pushed onto the tracks but was able to quickly scramble back onto the platform.

It was unknown if the two knew each other or if the push was a result of a confrontation but Vella said the man was lucky that a train was not coming at the time.

Vella said that although there is not a long history of these acts in Toronto it still acts as a warning.

"It shows people should stay close to the wall and way from the track area," Vella said.

The suspect fled the scene and is described as a man in his 30's, 5'9 and 170 lbs. Police are asking for anyone who was at the station during the incident to call them at 416-808-5200.

in our subway system, if someone pushes you onto the tracks, if you lay flat between the rails, will the train pass over you leaving you unharmed?

in our subway system, if someone pushes you onto the tracks, if you lay flat between the rails, will the train pass over you leaving you unharmed?

Apparently the newer trains have hanging electrical equipment. The older trains would be more survivable, but I suppose you don't get to choose what train is coming should you fall.

Windscreens are designed to keep the air and debris out of the car.
Sorry, but that's a windshield, such as windshield wipers. No one says windscreen wipers. Try going to Apple Auto Glass or any repair shop to have your windscreen fixed, and you'll get some funny looks for sure, http://www.appleautoglass.com/Main/ServicesReplacement.asp

A screen is designed to screen something out, meaning, IMO, more to dilute than to entirely block something. For example, in the food business we use vibration screens with small holes to ensure inform food appearance and to collect any contaminants. On your front door you might have a bug screen to keep bugs out, but to let air through.

This subway door system should be called either a subway safety shield system, or something along those lines.

Apparently the newer trains have hanging electrical equipment. The older trains would be more survivable, but I suppose you don't get to choose what train is coming should you fall.

that sucks. what if you're someone like me that can't climb back onto the platform? what am i supposed to do in such a situation?

Generally there's an open area under the platform where you can crawl if you're down there and a train is bearing down on you.

Back