News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hurontario is under construction already.

Eglinton looks like a good next candidate. With Eg West being tunneled / elevated between Mt Dennis and Renforth, it will be overbuilt for its original scope. But if it gets another branch running into Mississauga, then the tunnel kind of makes sense for the combined high frequency of the two branches.
It was a list that I gave council back in 2005. Hurontario goes back to 2003 to be either an LRT or monorail

It definitely doesn't come off as elegantly if you do it this way, but I still don't hate it...
View attachment 355982

This isn’t a bad idea, i think it would honestly benefit Brampton/Malton riders a lot more, despite the Miway 107 express already doing that with the transitway and its amazing routing. Speaking of that however, this would single handly kill any existing built up ridership on the transitway as you have a connection to Renforth and Square One which are the 2 biggest destinations. There is the option of converting the transitway into tracks but there’s also the problem of serving all the stations as well, unless they can possibly fit 2 tracks each side for local/express branches into the ROW.

This isn’t a bad idea, i think it would honestly benefit Brampton/Malton riders a lot more, despite the Miway 107 express already doing that with the transitway and its amazing routing. Speaking of that however, this would single handly kill any existing built up ridership on the transitway as you have a connection to Renforth and Square One which are the 2 biggest destinations. There is the option of converting the transitway into tracks but there’s also the problem of serving all the stations as well, unless they can possibly fit 2 tracks each side for local/express branches into the ROW.
I raised it in another thread that one of the bigger question marks in my mind about a Transitway conversion is whether bus service should be retained. I'll say here that I somewhat lean toward the answer being yes unless there is a full 407/427 build out as rail... And even then I wonder if buses really aren't going to be more effective on this corridor until we see a true capacity crunch.

Which does lead me to the thought that even a single stop extension of UPX to Renforth might be a reasonable interim state for airport access, and could get done a lot quicker than waiting for whatever final centralized hub the GTAA settles on without closing too many doors in terms of reconfiguration later.

I raised it in another thread that one of the bigger question marks in my mind about a Transitway conversion is whether bus service should be retained. I'll say here that I somewhat lean toward the answer being yes unless there is a full 407/427 build out as rail... And even then I wonder if buses really aren't going to be more effective on this corridor until we see a true capacity crunch.

Which does lead me to the thought that even a single stop extension of UPX to Renforth might be a reasonable interim state for airport access, and could get done a lot quicker than waiting for whatever final centralized hub the GTAA settles on without closing too many doors in terms of reconfiguration later.
You can forget the conversion of the transitway as its for GO Transit, with local transit playing a small part using it regardless the talk of conversion to LRT over time.

Using the numbers back in 2004 EA study, that study clear show it should been an LRT on day one, but those numbers turn out to be for GO system wide after the EA close. Breaking the numbers down by various types of buses including DD, you would be seeing a bus every 15 seconds.

GO plans then was extending the Transitway east in the hydro corridor to Pickering and the west end using the 403 to Hamilton. Mississauga Transit was to see only a small number

I doubt we extend line 2 westward in the times where we're still running T1 trains, especially without any alternatives or transfer points until Spadina. If a Jane subway/lrt was concrete, the extension would make a bit more sense. The capacity issues that you'd create would likely outweigh the majority of benefits.

With the pre-election announcement about the feds funding RER-service on the Milton line, that would make GO building their long-planned spur to Square One from somewhere east of Cooksville more likely.
Where can I find more details about this long-planned spur to Square One? What would this mean for service to the existing Cooksville station?

Where can I find more details about this long-planned spur to Square One? What would this mean for service to the existing Cooksville station?
Very little around that I'm aware of, but it's listed in the post-25 year plan in the 2008 Regional Transportation Plan (aka The Big Move). But had vanished in the 2018 version (aka 2041 Regional Transportation Plan).

Probably no impact to Cooksville, as presumably it would peel off before that, and follow the alignment that TTC was studying for the Line 2 extension to Square One.

From TTC Capital Budget and 15-year plan (originally posted in the Sherway building thread by @Northern Light )

1639502708214-png.369056

Still going to be running T1s on the extension is the best/worst part of this depending on your viewpoint

?

No they won't.

The T1s have to be retired by the time the SSE opens as the T1s don't have ATC; and the SSE will.

The new rolling stock is fully funded.

Not clear is whether the Rockets will shift to Line 2 when the new rolling stock arrives; or whether the new rolling stock will head straight to Line 2.

Still going to be running T1s on the extension is the best/worst part of this depending on your viewpoint
TR’s are probably going to be way more useful on the line so hopefully they push for that to happen. I can’t recall how many times i sometimes get confused because not all the platforms are at the same doors for every station and TR’s have the announcements on which side of the door is opening. Also considering how the line gets real busy on one car but half as busy on the next, having one full stretch easy fixes that problem.

?

No they won't.

The T1s have to be retired by the time the SSE opens as the T1s don't have ATC; and the SSE will.

The new rolling stock is fully funded.

Not clear is whether the Rockets will shift to Line 2 when the new rolling stock arrives; or whether the new rolling stock will head straight to Line 2.
Wait so they won't keep rockets on both lines?

Wait so they won't keep rockets on both lines?

The current iteration of the subways on Line 1 are colloquially 'Rockets'.

The T-1s currently on Line 2 do not share that designation.

New rolling stock is funded and in the process of design refinement within the TTC.

What designation, formal or informal that rolling stock will carry is TBD (to be determined)

So far as I know.

@smallspy may have further insight.

The current iteration of the subways on Line 1 are colloquially 'Rockets'.

The T-1s currently on Line 2 do not share that designation.

New rolling stock is funded and in the process of design refinement within the TTC.

What designation, formal or informal that rolling stock will carry is TBD (to be determined)

So far as I know.

@smallspy may have further insight.
I meant to ask whether the Rockets on YUS were already getting replaced by new rolling stock- you answered that anyway so no worries! It has only been 11 years since and they work quite well for the system, maybe that rolling stock is just more of them to be produced.

I meant to ask whether the Rockets on YUS were already getting replaced by new rolling stock- you answered that anyway so no worries! It has only been 11 years since and they work quite well for the system, maybe that rolling stock is just more of them to be produced.

The new rollingstock will have some changes; not sure to what extent.

And yes, the Rockets will be around for another 20 years or so I imagine.

Back