News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The fencing around the streetcar tracks (to their west) is quite substantial and presumably designed to be there for the next year or so and keep people out of the PAG site and the tracks. On the other hand, the FastFence that blocks off Cherry from Eastern to Mill is easily removed and yesterday they were removing all their junk from the roadway so I suspect that the long-promised reopening of that (final) block of Cherry is imminent. We shall see.
I'm surprised the PAG fencing would have arrived already. I'd have thought that the fencing currently in place belonged to the contractor. Though I confess I've spent all my time looking through the fence, and not at the fence!

Is this line not supposed to run into the port lands? Why is there no switch/rail running south from this point?

Is this line not supposed to run into the port lands? Why is there no switch/rail running south from this point?
Because there's nothing in the Portlands to get to, nor will there be for years. Future phases will go further. Though East Bayfront and the Lower Donlands will precede the Portlands, which are surely decades away.

Because there's nothing in the Portlands to get to, nor will there be for years. Future phases will go further. Though East Bayfront and the Lower Donlands will precede the Portlands, which are surely decades away.

Also to extend the tracks, the TTC will need more streetcars. The current order for 204 new streetcars only covers the current capacity. The TTC wants to add on another order of 60 streetcars to cover the overcapacity and streetcar track extensions. The current order will be completed by 2019. With the addition, that order will be completed a couple years after, so they may extend those tracks by then.

If someone other than a Ford gets to be mayor, of course.

I drove through there on the wknd. It appears the south end of Parliament from Mill to Lake Shore was closed off, with detours using Cherry from Mill to Lake Shore. I'm not sure if it's weekend work, or things will be like this for the next few months. But it's nice to use part of Cherry finally.

I drove through there on the wknd. It appears the south end of Parliament from Mill to Lake Shore was closed off, with detours using Cherry from Mill to Lake Shore. I'm not sure if it's weekend work, or things will be like this for the next few months. But it's nice to use part of Cherry finally.
Parliament Street was closed on Saturday & Sunday to allow Metrolinx to do work on the bridge; the bridges at Lower Sherbourne, Cherry and Parliament are being fixed up this year. LS is finished but Hydro are working on the street now and the City are about to rebuild Lower Sherbourne so further closures are planned. Cherry is almost done and Parliament is in progress - it was closed this past weekend and may have another weekend closure in next few weeks.

Well that's good to hear. Is this only for the underpass aesthetics (lights, cleaning), or structural? I guess the latter.
And I'm looking forward to Lower Sherbourne being repaved. Hands-down that few hundred metres is one of the worst section of road in the city.

Well that's good to hear. Is this only for the underpass aesthetics (lights, cleaning), or structural? I guess the latter.
And I'm looking forward to Lower Sherbourne being repaved. Hands-down that few hundred metres is one of the worst section of road in the city.
The bridge work (on all 3 bridges) is structural and aesthetic. The work on Lower Sherbourne will bring the bike lanes from King to Queen's Quay, bury the wires and 'normalise" the turns immediately south of the bridge and do landscaping in these areas Details at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE26.59

The bridge work (on all 3 bridges) is structural and aesthetic. The work on Lower Sherbourne will bring the bike lanes from King to Queen's Quay, bury the wires and 'normalise" the turns immediately south of the bridge and do landscaping in these areas Details at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE26.59

I know its a bit off topic, but do you have any idea when they're going to start the work on Lower Sherbourne? I've been eagerly waiting for them to start since the spring!

I know its a bit off topic, but do you have any idea when they're going to start the work on Lower Sherbourne? I've been eagerly waiting for them to start since the spring!
As has everyone in the neighbourhood! The work was supposed to start in April but Hydro screwed up and did not start until June and then found excess water which meant a redesign of their equipment. At the moment Hydro are (finally) at work burying the wires and putting up the new lamp-poles; I am told that they will finish "soon". The City posted a tender for the rest of the work but the contract has not yet been awarded. Last I heard was that City work will start "by the end of September" but Hydro must finish first as one can only have one contractor working at a time to avoid 'who did that?" problems . Let's all pray for decent weather and late frost - if not we will have a real mess all winter!

Last edited:
As has everyone in the neighbourhood! The work was supposed to start in April but Hydro screwed up and did not start until June and then found excess water which meant a redesign of their equipment. At the moment Hydro are (finally) at work burying the wires and putting up the new lamp-poles; I am told that they will finish "soon". The City posted a tender for the rest of the work but the contract has not yet been awarded. Last I heard was that City work will start "by the end of September" but Hydro must finish first as one can only have one contractor working at a time to avoid 'who did that?" problems . Let's all pray for decent weather and late frost - if not we will have a real mess all winter!
Gosh, it is getting rather late in the season for Sherbourne.

To bring this back on topic - almost the last chance to see the streetcar tracks on Sherbourne (just south of Front).

I wonder what else lies underneath the asphalt. They were digging a whole on Princess south of Front not so long ago, and you could see the old brick pavement!

Back