News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

One would assume. I'm quietly wondering if there's been a change in plans by Waterfront Toronto.

Isn't Waterfront Toronto also responsible for the 504 detour that's been in place for 10 months now on King between Parliament and Queen? The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that is going to fail to re-open next month as promised, and that instead some service to Cherry loop will be offered in it's place during peak.

Have you heard anything about the progress for the King/Queen closure?

The Bridge closure is interesting as it started because WT had to install a back-flow prevention valve on a huge sewer pipe to prevent water going BACK into it during a flood. This work is still ongoing and you can see the pipe exposed under the bridge and lots of form-work going on around it. When they started to excavate the pipe (which runs close to the bridge foundations) they found that the piles supporting the bridge were wood and rotten. I am unclear if they still need to fix these but if so the bridge will be closed for far longer.

That said, the 504 diversion up Parliament and on to Broadview works OK (unless you live on King between Parliament and River) and using Cherry would serve nobody very well unless it were ONLY used for the cars that are now short-turned at Church. I doubt strongly the Cherry line will open until 2016 as it is behind the (new) construction barrier for the PAG Village and they want to keep that area off limits until after the Games.

That said, the 504 diversion up Parliament and on to Broadview works OK (unless you live on King between Parliament and River) and using Cherry would serve nobody very well unless it were ONLY used for the cars that are now short-turned at Church. I doubt strongly the Cherry line will open until 2016 as it is behind the (new) construction barrier for the PAG Village and they want to keep that area off limits until after the Games.
I doubt too ... but I'm wondering if they already know that bridge is going to be out of service until well after the Pan Am games, and this is some face-saving move to make it look like there is some transit for Corktown. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop ...

I wouldn't say the 504 diversion up Parliament works okay. Parliament is like molasses in rush hour. At peak, it adds about 4 minutes to the 10-12 minute journey time from Parliament to Gerrard. Not much impact off-peak ...

I doubt strongly the Cherry line will open until 2016 as it is behind the (new) construction barrier for the PAG Village and they want to keep that area off limits until after the Games.

So Cherry Street south of Eastern is going to be closed for 2 more years?

Not a great shot (from a moving 172 bus), but here is the southern end of the loop this morning. First layer of concrete in place. No sign of activity. You can just see the last piece of track near the lower left.

Toronto-20140704-00767.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto-20140704-00767.jpg
    Toronto-20140704-00767.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,527
Not a great shot (from a moving 172 bus), but here is the southern end of the loop this morning. First layer of concrete in place. No sign of activity. You can just see the last piece of track near the lower left.
I was in same spot yesterday (on my bike) and since then they have poured the concrete around the track drains - surrounding the box in foreground of photo. We will soon see if they are continuing with track installationor covering it over or ???

Additional work on Sumach last week. More of the new track has been encased in concrete. I imagine no work today.

I didn't see anything about Sumach / Cherry street and the traffic regulations come out of July's council meeting. Did I miss it, or was it pushed back to accommodate for a three hour debate on whether or not to request an apology?

Back