News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I just can't wait until we start ditching the trolley pole and using the pantograph.
You will have to wait until all the old overhead is replaced as the pantos cannot cope with the old 'hangers' but they seem to be working on it again now the warmer weather is here so ...

Ditto. I don't know if I've just been noticing it more but it seems like the poles are coming off the wires much more often lately... At least at Bathurst/Lakeshore.

If true, it may be a result of the new hybrid overhead. Not ideal for either trolley poles or pantograph, but usable for both.

I'm not looking forward to the first pantograph snag tearing down 1km of overhead wiring and a huge number of newspaper articles complaining about the change next to the pricetag for redoing all the overhead.

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to the first pantograph snag tearing down 1km of overhead wiring and a huge number of newspaper articles complaining about the change next to the pricetag for redoing all the overhead.

How frequently does this happen abroad?

How frequently does this happen abroad?
It happens from time to time in the USA, as well around the world, but very rarely.

What happens when a fire takes place along a TTC route where the overhead is cut for them???

I took a walk down the Cherry line and into the newly opened Canary District today--I haven't been down frequently or looked in close detail, but I don't remember seeing a streetcar platform built on the line yet; this photo was taken facing North from Front St. & Cherry St--apologies if it's old news, seemed new to me:

cherry.JPG

Attachments

• cherry.JPG
    cherry.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,018
I took a walk down the Cherry line and into the newly opened Canary District today--I haven't been down frequently or looked in close detail, but I don't remember seeing a streetcar platform built on the line yet; this photo was taken facing North from Front St. & Cherry St--apologies if it's old news, seemed new to me:

View attachment 73491

You are looking at one! The stops sort of blend in with the paver pattern so they can be hard to spot, but that little concrete patch is the stop indicator. Expect to see TTC Stop Poles in the coming months, and maybe a bench or some sort of shelter.

You are looking at one! The stops sort of blend in with the paver pattern so they can be hard to spot, but that little concrete patch is the stop indicator. Expect to see TTC Stop Poles in the coming months, and maybe a bench or some sort of shelter.

Oh, I know it's a stop, heh, that's why I posted it! I meant I'm pretty sure I had not seen this stop before--or rather the guardrails, I guess.

Oh, I know it's a stop, heh, that's why I posted it! I meant I'm pretty sure I had not seen this stop before--or rather the guardrails, I guess.
Its been there since day one, but hard to see/tell when its behind a fence.

No sense to have railing up before its need only to be damage until then.

Just saw this on TTC website:

Cherry and Sumach streets - streetcar track testing
April 19 to 22, 2016
Work description and purpose
Testing to prepare for streetcar operations on Cherry and Sumach streets from the loop at the south end of Cherry Street to and through the King/Sumach intersection will begin at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, April 20. The testing will continue through to the morning of Friday, April 22, weather permitting.

Parking Reminder
As a reminder, parking is not allowed on streetcar tracks and is subject to tow at the owner’s expense. Effective 11 p.m. on Tuesday, April 19, 2016, please do not park on the streetcar track allowance on Cherry and on Sumach streets.

This testing is important and is essential to commissioning the new track for service. Any vehicle found on or near the track allowance that may interfere with the movement of the test streetcar will be subject to tow by Toronto Police at the owner’s expense.

A streetcar will be used to test all aspects of the new streetcar track from the loop to the intersection of King and Sumach, including track switches and the overhead relay to commission the track for the new 514 Cherry streetcar route, scheduled to start on June 19, 2016.

Thank you for your cooperation during these necessary preparations for the new streetcar service.

Work hours
Over the course of the three days, crews may also work overnight. Activities associated with the testing require TTC overhead trucks and a streetcar to be on site for the majority of the testing.

Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.

Back