News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I took a walk down the Cherry line and into the newly opened Canary District today--I haven't been down frequently or looked in close detail, but I don't remember seeing a streetcar platform built on the line yet; this photo was taken facing North from Front St. & Cherry St--apologies if it's old news, seemed new to me:

View attachment 73491

Its great that the TTC is realizing that the LRV on one side/Cars on the other makes so much more sense that putting it down the middle lane.

If only Metrolinx had gotten the memo for the LRT's

Does it? Harbourfront is now slower with it on the side, than in the centre, with the additional signals for crossings.

The standing slow order, that was put in place shortly after opening and doesn't seem to have been rescinded, doesn't help. I believe it's 20 or 30 km/h - some of the operators disregard it but most, even recently, seem to obey it and crawl along from the portal to Spadina.

I'm still amazed that the TTC decided that the solution to drivers breaking the law and turning illegally across the path of streetcars was to slow down streetcar service permanently. I found that from Fleet and Bathurst I could often get to Bathurst Station via the 511 in mixed traffic faster than Union Station via the 509 on a dedicated ROW+being a shorter trip.

I'm still amazed that the TTC decided that the solution to drivers breaking the law and turning illegally across the path of streetcars was to slow down streetcar service permanently. I found that from Fleet and Bathurst I could often get to Bathurst Station via the 511 in mixed traffic faster than Union Station via the 509 on a dedicated ROW+being a shorter trip.
That's the bizarre thing with the TTC. When they re-design a roadway and put the streetcar in its own ROW, it somehow slows down. Look at Spadina and Harbourfront. Too many crossings, lights too long, ineffective TSP, too many stops, etc.

That's the bizarre thing with the TTC. When they re-design a roadway and put the streetcar in its own ROW, it somehow slows down. Look at Spadina and Harbourfront. Too many crossings, lights too long, ineffective TSP, too many stops, etc.

The thing about harbourfront was that it already had a ROW until mid-2012 when it closed for revitalization, and comparing the data for the 509 on the preexisting ROW to the new design shows that it used to be faster--I believe Steve Munro did a piece on it with hard numbers.

Fortunately Cherry is a pretty short stretch, so hopefully the side ROW won't be as disastrous as on Queen's Quay...

Just watch, I'm willing to bet that sometime in the near future the TTC will restrict speed in ROWs themselves because of the risk of cars jumping the barriers and entering the ROW

Just watch, I'm willing to bet that sometime in the near future the TTC will restrict speed in ROWs themselves because of the risk of cars jumping the barriers and entering the ROW

That's exactly what they did on Queen's Quay.

I will disagree that this will happen, as we looked very closely what drivers may or may not do during both the EA study and design stage. What I and the team wanted was shoot down by Transportation, since we wanted this road to be more local, not the 4 lane bypass transportation wanted.

We got a single lane in each direction with a turning lane left only at the end of the day compare to no turning lanes that the team wanted as well Waterfront Toronto. Need to make sure there is no right turning on red sign up to the point of using LEDS for it like the no left turn ones.

One thing that was looked at and can happen, is closing off the ROW for special events and using buses to service the area during the events.

Again, grass was wanted, but got concrete.

What are the chances that the TTC will rescind their slow order? I'm currently under the impression that this will be forever in place as with many other slow orders and stop and go orders left on the streetcar network. Is the TTC trying to sabotage their streetcar network? Cause it does seem like it; get your stuff together and fix the damn switches already.

Last edited:

Back