News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Not sure if anyone's seen these before, but here are updated station ridership figures:

www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/su...p05_06.pdf

And here's surface route ridership figures for fun:

www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/ri..._05_06.pdf

Few comments:
- North York Centre is really busy. I've noticed the growth but I didn't think it was that high...23,000 for a station with no significant bus connection is great.
- Sheppard should pass both Eglinton and Union (barring a big GO boost) within a few years.
- Bessarion's over 2,000 per day!
- The Dufferin bus is only beat by the King streetcar.
- What's the point of the Calvington bus?

Shows how lame Sheppard is right now. Bayview, Bessarion and Leslie combined only equal Runnymead.

The figures claim ridership grew from 35,000 in 2003 to 41,000 in 05/06...it's gotten visibly busier over the years so I'm not sure I trust the numbers. It's hard to tell how many people are actually using it since the low frequency creates crush loads during rush hour.

I don't get the revenue per day figure. Isn't revenue the before cost amount? Why am I calculating the average fare paid on the Queen streetcar per passenger to be 97 cents? This page makes no sense if all the revenues the route makes don't show up in revenues and if all the costs don't show up in costs, all it does is provide a comparison.

Finch East wins the black hole of service award - 52 vehicles in the morning rush and 41 in the afternoon. So many vehicles are sucked into the route that there's literally always one in sight, and half of them run along half full.

The Cosburn bus has a ridership of 7000 and a revenue of $5000.
The Coxwell bus has a ridership of 7100 and a revenue of $4700.
The Cummer bus has a ridership of 7200 and a revenue of $5600.
Does this just mean that more people, relatively speaking, pay cash fares on the Cummer bus, or that fewer people get on by transferring, or what?

And why does the King streetcar cost $4000 more than the Queen streetcar when it runs 1400km less every day? It uses more cars in rush hour but operates 20 fewer hours over the course of the day.

I'm guessing that staff are the biggest expense so the hours matter more than the kilometers. They might be assigning equipment costs by the hour too. If equipment is being booked by hours assigned to a route and not kilometres then kilometres would only effect the energy costs.

Without metropass validation at all times I'm never convinced by TTC numbers but what the hell...

For me, the figure for Bay Station (33,600 compared to 100,000 at St George and 180,000 at Yonge/Bloor) should be an issue. Danforth riders going down to and up from the core on the Yonge line (as I do every weekday) cause congestion of the Yonge trains. A lot of money will be spent adding a second platform to the BD platform at Yonge but that should be for safety reasons not to add capacity.

The 504/506 and the 8 Bay aren't attractive in speed terms particularly in the morning when you want to be on time - I have ridden the 8 frequently and it's quite slow and often held up by people parking where they shouldn't. A fast service should be attractive given that once you actually get to Bay you have a fair shot at getting a seat.

I would increase visible policing of the Bloor & Bay/Union corridor at peak to improve travel times and therefore fleet utilisation. I would urgently prioritise available hybrids on the route and all downtown bus routes operating south of Bloor between Bathurst and Broadview - it's incredible that 6 Bay has some of the oldest buses in the fleet when improving air quality in the core should be an urgent priority. With the Bay-Adelaide development ongoing and the developments north of City Hall, all of those transit needs can't be met from the Yonge line if demand north of Bloor is increased by line extensions and by more development at existing stations.

Once that has been done, reducing east of Yonge line demand by increasing southbound options from the 8,000 rider Castle Frank (such as extending streetcar tracks leading to a proper Parliament route) and/or improving the undersubscribed 75 Sherbourne would be the next target although that would tend to be attractive only in the morning given the sardine can the BD becomes leaving Yonge eastbound - another reason the 504/506 isn't attractive.

With respect to the Sheppard line, its no surprise that half a plan has resulted in poor results. Then again, I often wonder if it makes sense to complete the line all the way to SCC, or whether it is better to extend the Bloor line all the way there. Two lines going to SCC might be a bit much.

Although it would seem like overkill if two lines were extended to STC at the expense of all other projects across the city, it does make sense to extend Sheppard eastward...the fact that this city has been adding basically zero new transit infrastructure lately doesn't change that. The Sheppard East to STC corridor was always densest and most built up east of Don Mills, not from Yonge to Don Mills.

For me expanding Sheppard west is as crucial as east to link up with Wilson Yard and the York extension to remove the change at Sheppard, as well as forcing real development density at Downsview.

Sheppard East extension will move the subway into a more transit friendly streetscape given the north and south lateral roads that don't exist much between Sheppard and Don Mills.

An extension to Downsview will be required for the Spadina extension to reach its potential, not to mention for the Sheppard line to really start replacing the Bloor line and many major bus routes as ways to get across the city. Sheppard West is already being Avenue-ized, too.

"It's interesting... Eglinton West can be taken too ways. The line might have made sense considering how busy the Bloor line west of St. George is. However, Eglinton West itself isn't a very busy station at all."

Yes but the ppd of Eglinton West shouldn't factor into your evaluation of the potential success of an Eglinton Line. Given the precarious location of the station, is it any wonder why the number of walk-ins is so low? It's not unreasonable to believe at least half of BD riders would take the Eglinton Line to reduce commute time. In totality upwards of 100,000 passengers would ride per hour especially if integrated with nearby nodes such as the airport.

"Looking that ridership for the stations, I am surpised to see that Old Mill isn't the most useless subway station after all. I think they should close down this station to improve the speed of the subway because I never see anyone get off or on from it. Rosedale, Summerhill, Glencairn, and Chester should also all be closed down"

Tell me you're joking. Originally the TTC intended to put two stations in the general vicinity of Old Mill, at Prince Edward Dr and the Old Mill itself, however lack of funds resulted in what we have today. How'd you feel about your commute if that happened and you seriously think no one lives between Royal York and Jane who rides transit? C'mon man!

Rosedale AND Summerhill is probably overkill but the other stations have their function and don't need to be closed or anything. It's better to propose the running of express trains that only serve major stations (Union, Queen, Dundas, Bloor, Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch) rather than subtract these stops from the 000s who use them.

Some interesting trends comparing to 05-06. Numbers are up across the board. We can see the effect of the ROW construction with both St. Clair and St. Clair West figures down.

However, one thing jumps out at me: how is the Sheppard line figure for Sheppard-Yonge station larger than the total Sheppard line figure? Tourists skewing the numbers?

Back