News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

the way city hall has made the TTC watch every dime, they can't really think of improving customer service if it costs money. Its amazing how much the TTC has improved over the last few years considering everything they have done has had to be done at essentially 0 cost.

the way city hall has made the TTC watch every dime, they can't really think of improving customer service if it costs money. Its amazing how much the TTC has improved over the last few years considering everything they have done has had to be done at essentially 0 cost.
Even the Wi-Fi creates revenue for the TTC, rather than an expense.

Time-based transfers are key to public transit’s success

http://globalnews.ca/news/1108847/transfers-are-key-to-public-transits-success/

TTC’s decision to consider switching to time-based transfers is likely to improve transit use in Toronto. While TTC’s own estimates suggest a loss in revenue from such a change, it will though improve the welfare of those who are struggling to survive under the high cost of living in Toronto. At the same time it will also help improve public transit use in Toronto because of improved connectivity and ‘fare integration’ resulting from such change.

It's about time the TTC implemented time-based transfers. It's fairly common in other major cities already. Personally, it has no affect on me because I buy a metropass every month, but I think it's a positive move.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but Karen Stintz just tweeted a photo, which looks like the next-gen turnstiles for the TTC:
Karen Stintz ‏@KarenStintz 12m

Using the Presto card, customers tap the reader and the gates open. pic.twitter.com/tGKdz95rDu
BfkL0PECEAA7jeb.jpg

they seem way too large.. Also slow. How long does it take for the glass barriers to close? it seems like it would be really easy for 2 people to go through with 1 payment.

I would hope that this is the accessible fare gate.

You can see a different turnstile gate just on the edge to the right of the photo. This is probably the accessibility gate that Karen was using.

You know, besides the press release and a mention deep within the Spadina subway construction page, there is NO mention of Google Maps integration anywhere on the TTC's website.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Attc.ca+%22Google+Maps%22&rlz=1Y3XIUG_enCA514CA514&oq=site%3Attc.ca+%22Google+Maps%22&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58&client=chrome-mobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8

@TTChelps How come there is virtually no reference to @googlemaps trip planning on the website? google.com/#q=site%3Attc.…
11:08pm - 20 Feb 14

@Electrify85 We have our own trip planner ow.ly/tR1wu.^CW
7:17am - 21 Feb 14

@TTChelps So does Vancouver, but they also have their Google Transit and Nextbus services featured prominently TransLink.ca
7:27am - 21 Feb 14

@Electrify85 Thank you for the information.^CW
7:32am - 21 Feb 14

I use Vancouver as an example, but having working on a project on this, virtually all other transit agencies seem proud to show off their web 2.0 services. The TTC seems almost resentful.

As I said in another thread, if there is another transit system more reluctant to change than the TTC, I don't want to know about it.

EDIT: Don't know why the forum is not shortening the URL, but you should all know what to do.

Last edited:
The other odd thing about the TTC is there is no link to NextBus on their Schedules pages (it IS linked to from the well-hidden Related Links page and only seems to be mentioned and explained on the TTC website as part of a press release which says: "Next-vehicle information is available for more than 9,300 TTC bus stops inside Toronto and more than 800 TTC bus stops in the GTA served by contracted TTC vehicles. Predictions are not available for Wheel-Trans and Community Buses due to the door-to-door nature of service.

The information is available at no charge directly through the website of our partner, www.nextbus.com This is an external site and it will open a new window, or via a link on the TTC's Related Links page. There are also many third-party applications for smartphones, which provide unlimited access to the data for a nominal one-off fee.

TTC customers can see next-bus information on LCD screens at Bathurst, Broadview, Dundas West, Main Street and Spadina subway stations, and on LED displays on street shelters at Bathurst/Adelaide and Queen/Spadina. TTC customers can visit www.nextbus.com This is an external site and it will open a new window using their smartphones, for real-time data and maps.

Bus-arrival information is now available via text. Standard text-messaging rates apply and customers should check with their service provider about their own text messaging rates and plans.").

NextBus is a TTC partner so it would surely be good to see a prominent link (or better still, links) to it from the TTC site.

Same. I wanted to go from my house to Allan Gardens, but I ended up 5 minutes late instead.

Back