News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think transporting people to/from work is more important than transporting people to/from the bar. Work is people's livelihoods. Drinking is just leisure.

I think transporting people to/from work is more important than transporting people to/from the bar. Work is people's livelihoods. Drinking is just leisure.

You want the patrons to drive home, after an evening of drinking?

You want the patrons to drive home, after an evening of drinking?

Taxis, designated drivers, etc. - it's not a big deal.

None of this matters to me anyways because I think all alcoholic beverages should be banned and these sort of dilemmas/conflicts are a good example why.

I think ensuring that the poor people who have no car have more opportunities to work is far more important getting some drunken douchebags home. Cleaning vomit out of the subway trains, that would just be more work for the TTC anyways, more taxpayer money being wasted.

I think buses are easier for drunks anyways. No need to risk to falling down the stairs at the subway entrance.

Taxis, designated drivers, etc. - it's not a big deal.
Surely that's a recipe to increase drunk driving. Are you trying to kill people?

None of this matters to me anyways because I think all alcoholic beverages should be banned and these sort of dilemmas/conflicts are a good example why.
That's absolutely absurd. Why would you say such a ridiculous thing? Look what happened last time they tried that in the USA ... leading to the rise of organised crime and deaths. Are you trying to kill people?

Side topic, but have they FINALLY gotten the subway to run north of Eglinton after midnight? Last I heard it was supposed to finish in the winter, but this is the TTC after all...

That multi-year closure was such a pain, and so poorly handled too! Why not have the shuttle buses only stop at subway stops and let the Yonge local buses carry people inbetween stops? And why not hand out special transfers which allow people to walk into the station, rather than pulling in and out of every station every couple of kilometers?

That bus transfer made it take at least three times as long to get to Finch as opposed to taking the train. Whenever I was heading home after midnight, I usually took the Spadina line to Downsview and a bus across to Sheppard-Yonge, just to avoid as much of the route as possible, even if it took about the same amount of time!

Side topic, but have they FINALLY gotten the subway to run north of Eglinton after midnight? Last I heard it was supposed to finish in the winter, but this is the TTC after all...

That multi-year closure was such a pain, and so poorly handled too! Why not have the shuttle buses only stop at subway stops and let the Yonge local buses carry people inbetween stops? And why not hand out special transfers which allow people to walk into the station, rather than pulling in and out of every station every couple of kilometers?

That bus transfer made it take at least three times as long to get to Finch as opposed to taking the train. Whenever I was heading home after midnight, I usually took the Spadina line to Downsview and a bus across to Sheppard-Yonge, just to avoid as much of the route as possible, even if it took about the same amount of time!

It's like Dr Dre releasing Detox, it'll never happen. Every few years they push the finish date a few years later.

In 2018 we'll be celebrating the 10th anniversary of the early closures.

For those who want subway service after 12:30am, I'm guessing it would be better to move south of Eglinton than actually wait who knows how many years for the repairs to finish.

TTC investigates 'abandoned' bus on Eglinton
TTC workers' union head says it was a case of miscommunication. A driver left believing his replacement was nearby.

By: Tess Kalinowski Transportation reporter, Published on Wed May 21 2014

The TTC is investigating an incident in which a bus was apparently abandoned by the driver for more than 20 minutes on Tuesday before another operator arrived to take over.

A video posted by a man who said he was among the passengers on the 32 Eglinton West route, shows another bus driver arriving a few minutes later and trying to figure out why the first bus was sitting unstaffed at Eglinton Ave. W. and Tretheway Dr.

But the president of the TTC workers’ union said the incident was an accident at a transfer point where the bus driver mistakenly thought his replacement was waiting to take over the route.

“There are procedures to be followed. The operator that is being relieved is to identify the operator that’s taking over the vehicle. Obviously there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication,” said Kinnear.
“I believe it was a mistake,” said Bob Kinnear.

It’s unfortunate but it does occasionally happen when one driver goes off shift to be replaced by another operator.

“It’s a rare occurrence,” he said. “Usually the communication between the operators is pretty clear and decisive.

“We do this thousands of times a week,” said Kinnear. But usually the transfer of the vehicle is pretty informal.

“That it took so long for somebody to get there, that’s a little bit surprising,” he said, adding that transit control should have been aware the bus wasn’t moving and investigated.
T
TC spokesperson Brad Ross said an investigation was launched on Tuesday.

“We need to understand the circumstances around what happened,” he said.

“People are accountable to do their jobs and if they don’t do their jobs they will be held to account for that but we need to understand the circumstances,” said Ross.

He said the TTC does not discuss discipline or personnel matters.

The video shows the empty driver’s seat on bus 1667. The narrator says the bus driver said he had to go home at 1:30 p.m. and the video was apparently shot about 1:50 p.m. Some riders can be seen still sitting on the bus as the camera shows the sidewalk with no bus driver in sight.

The rider says he called a supervisor who promised to send someone. Another TTC driver arrives and says the problem is that the operator who was supposed to replace the driver who left hasn’t arrived.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/05/21/ttc_investigates_abandoned_bus_on_eglinton.html

I think there should be a policy where if a driver leaves a bus unattended for 10 minutes, the passengers can take it over.

I simply can't believe that this incident could be miscommunication, misunderstanding or a mistake. Everything alludes to the TTC driver "punching out" because his shift was up and he was simply going home. The videographer was on AM1010 Newstalk this afternoon and described the incident in a bit more detail. Here is a link:

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2014/05/21/watch-ttc-driver-walks-away-from-bus

But only if they have a "C" license (regular bus with designed seating capacity for more than 24 passengers), and 2 or less demerit points & no more than 2 traffic offences.
Though I don't think any licence is needed to simply to call transit control from the bus.

I agree.

I've had a life long dream of stealing a streetcar. If this becomes policy my dream will eventually become reality

You better warn the good people of Toronto that I'll be tearing up the streets in my new streetcar ;)

Too bad the streetcar won't get you to cottage country on the weekends.

Too bad the streetcar won't get you to cottage country on the weekends.
But what if the streetcar was the cottage:
Class_1_cottages.jpg

Back