News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

IMG_2005 (Custom).JPG

Seen at a couple of stop posts on the 121 (that I saw--not sure how widespread it is, i.e. limited to new routes or being rolled out to others). This is at the southwest corner of Spadina and Fort York, if I recall correctly. Apologies if posted before, it's new to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2005 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2005 (Custom).JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 878
View attachment 87384

Seen at a couple of stop posts on the 121 (that I saw--not sure how widespread it is, i.e. limited to new routes or being rolled out to others). This is at the southwest corner of Spadina and Fort York, if I recall correctly. Apologies if posted before, it's new to me.
It's on the new maps in shelters too they are essentially promoting ways to find out when your bus or streetcar will arrive

I've seen them all over recently. That message is sometimes combined with a "10 Minute Network" logo that presumably indicates service at least every 10 minutes at that stop.

View attachment 87384

Why would they show just the icon, without providing the name of the app along with it?

Why would they show just the icon, without providing the name of the app along with it?
If you go to the Play Store and search for Toronto Transit you get all of them, and more. The "app pics" (logos) are there as 'visual interest' - their ad tells you to go to Play Store and App Store.

Last edited:
Saw this today for the first time as well at the w/b stop at King/Bay.

While I agree with taking out the timed schedules because vehicles are never on time, the lack of route map disappoints me. They're basically assuming everyone has a smartphone and can look up information, which shouldn't be the case. There are people who can't afford smartphones/data plans, tourists w/ no data connection, locals that might have a dead battery, etc.

They have to do better for tourists. They could be single persons, couples, family groups, or large groups. Some would want single fares, others may want a return fare (two trips), and others may want a day or multi-day pass.

They're not want to buy a PRESTO card. Especially if the next time could be a year or two apart. With us getting away from a person in the booth, I can see problems with tourists trying to understand the fare system.
Especially the "one-way continuous trip" business when they might get lost and go in the direction.

They have to do better for tourists. They could be single persons, couples, family groups, or large groups. Some would want single fares, others may want a return fare (two trips), and others may want a day or multi-day pass.

They're not want to buy a PRESTO card. Especially if the next time could be a year or two apart. With us getting away from a person in the booth, I can see problems with tourists trying to understand the fare system.
Especially the "one-way continuous trip" business when they might get lost and go in the direction.

Most major cities have fare cards now and most tourists from them looking to use public transit will likely be more familiar with using them and aren't likely to want a group pass or day pass as the wil assume it isn't available because of a system like Presto. For example if I went to London in the UK I would pick up an oyster card and not even bother trying to figure out what type of ticket I need.

Washington is the same - they used to have paper farecards but now it's all on SmarTrip. Tourists just pay the $2 fee for SmarTrip, or the $1 Metrocard fee, or the $5 Oyster Card fee.

Washington is the same - they used to have paper farecards but now it's all on SmarTrip. Tourists just pay the $2 fee for SmarTrip, or the $1 Metrocard fee, or the $5 Oyster Card fee.
Or they can get the free TravelCard instead of getting an Oyster Card. I got a 7-day 2 zone TravelCard when I went to London and there was no fee. I'm hoping Presto offers a similar option on the TTC.

https://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/london-travelcard/

There will be a TTC-specific paper pass for tourists/occasional users. Think Boston's CharlieTicket vs. Charlie Card, Montreal's L'occasionalle vs. Opus. This will be for single trips, or two-trip fares and daypasses.

There will be a TTC-specific paper pass for tourists/occasional users. Think Boston's CharlieTicket vs. Charlie Card, Montreal's L'occasionalle vs. Opus. This will be for single trips, or two-trip fares and daypasses.

Source or link please?

Last week there were comments here about the new (and improved?) TTC stop signage. My initial reaction was to say 'good idea' - get rid of the incomprehensible timetables and tell people to use the apps. For routes with a 10 minute or less service it makes far more sense just to say "Ten minute Network."
I had assumed that there were other signs at the stops which actually told people which routes served that stop and that other signage had a route map. Of course, I was wrong! There seem to be no route maps and most stops do not (yet?) have information on the routes they serve. (The route numbers seem to be being added to all new stops, such as those for the new 121 bus route.) For example, the signage at the eastbound streetcar stop at Jarvis and King has the '10 minute network' signage BUT (in addition to the night route) it serves two routes, 514 and 504 - only the 514 is on the 10-minute network.

Back