News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

All the old schedule did really, was note that the routes were FS (frequent service) in daytimes, and provide the times of the night cars or buses.

Now we don't have the night cars and buses, which are invariably every 30 minutes or so.

So there's no reason to eliminate the schedules.

To be discussed at the next TTC board meeting.

From this link.

Effective February 12, 2017.
View attachment 86796

Here's how I would go about fixing Route 66:

This would allow for a single, continuous all-day two-way service from Old Mill Station to Humber Loop via the Humber Bay Shores. I'd eliminate service on Park Lawn north of the Queensway (only 2 stops would be gone). In order to get buses from Lakeshore Blvd to the Loop the existing streetcar underpass would have to be expanded upon and made such to also accommodate buses.

Thoughts?

Here's how I would go about fixing Route 66:

This would allow for a single, continuous all-day two-way service from Old Mill Station to Humber Loop via the Humber Bay Shores. I'd eliminate service on Park Lawn north of the Queensway (only 2 stops would be gone). In order to get buses from Lakeshore Blvd to the Loop the existing streetcar underpass would have to be expanded upon and made such to also accommodate buses.

Thoughts?

Great idea...

The underpass is probably too narrow for a bus to get by a streetcar going the other way due to the turning radius. It would probably need signalized access...not a significant impediment. (of course plus paving).

I would go south on Park Lawn, through the Humber Bay area, under the streetcar underpass, west on the Queensway and then north on Stephen. Basically a big loop. This would probably save 3-4 minutes (saves left turns at busy intersections) freeing up capacity for more frequent service.

There is an underpass at the railway near the Humber River, where the former Queen Street (now Queensway) went under the railway to intersect with Lake Shore Blvd.. See link.

MimicoPlan1890.jpg

They could reuse that railway underpass, but it would involve building an new Gardiner underpass. Might be time to have that section undergo a rebuild... again.

It's not just Toronto.

From this link:

New Yorkers take 2.5 million rides on the city's buses every day. While NYC's buses provide essential transit, especially in areas beyond the reach of the subway, they are among the nation's slowest and least reliable.

Now a coalition of transit advocates are promoting practical strategies to improve the performance of NYC buses systemwide.

Transit advocates knew something was wrong when they observed declining bus ridership despite increasing population, a growing economy, and record-high subway ridership. To figure out what could be done about it, they spoke to industry experts and researched successful efforts in peer cities to identify common sense solutions to NYC's bus problems. This research is summarized in their report "Turnaround: Fixing New York City's Buses".

The bus system faces big challenges, but these challenges have clear, proven solutions. By transforming how riders get on and off the bus, designing streets to prioritize buses, adopting better methods to keep buses on schedule, and redesigning the bus network and routes, policy makers in city government and the MTA can turn around the decline of the city's buses and attract riders back to the system.

We'll get to see how serious public officials are about tackling these problems on October 6, when the City Council transportation committee holds an oversight hearing on how to improve the quality of NYC bus service.

Fifth and Sixth Avenues could be redesigned to have dedicated bus lanes (but given how built-up it is, an existing lane would have to be used)

Including closures over the Easter, Victoria and Thankgivings Day holidays... gezz thanks TTC.
So when else do you want them to do them or would you rather see another russel hill type accident? Most if not all of the closures on line one are to install to the new signaling system being put in place and or even testing of the extension of the line and possibly even ATC. Don't fort most of line one is over 0 years old the technology for the signals on it is the same age too.

The underpass is probably too narrow for a bus to get by a streetcar going the other way due to the turning radius. It would probably need signalized access...not a significant impediment. (of course plus paving).
That underpass was paved decades ago, and used for buses off of Lakeshore into that loop. I've been on buses that have used it years back. It was used for bus replacements when the Long Branch streetcar couldn't be used for some reason for years after. It may be that the pedestrian walkway didn't exist at that time.

The paving disappeared about two track renewals back.

Last edited:
Is anyone else 'annoyed' by the talking streetcars who say "Five hundred and four King to Broadview" rather that "504 King to Broadview" etc etc. ? I have never heard a real person talk about the Five Hundred and Five Dundas streetcar so am not sure why the automated voice cannot be programmed better. A native speaker will have no problems but if English is not your first language I bet 504 or 505 would be clearer.

Each new streetcar, light rail vehicle, and Toronto Rocket uses the knew HAL 9000 computer. The HAL 9000 does knot make mistakes, Dave.

hal_9000___2001_a_space_odyssey_by_pascal808-d57bhl7.jpg

Back