News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The whole "smoke at track level" issue is really concerning. I wonder if it's just riders complaining they smell smoke or THINK that they do.... I'm just questioning the legitimacy of it, that's all.

The whole "smoke at track level" issue is really concerning. I wonder if it's just riders complaining they smell smoke or THINK that they do.... I'm just questioning the legitimacy of it, that's all.

Indeed. Recently I started following the TTC alerts on Twitter, and it is alarming how many delays are caused by "smoke at track level". Still, safety is #1 and the TTC has to be diligent when dealing with these things.

Trash and high voltage electricity are a poor combination. I would not be surprised if there was stuff smoldering down there from time to time.

Indeed. Recently I started following the TTC alerts on Twitter, and it is alarming how many delays are caused by "smoke at track level". Still, safety is #1 and the TTC has to be diligent when dealing with these things.

I've been wondering if all these "somke at track level" alerts are actually creating more false alarms.
A lot of stations are just under the street and have access point leading to the surface. A flame up from a hot dog stand could send some smoke, or just the small of something burning, down ito the subway platform. Now people might be quicker to run and tell the collector about it because they get all these smoke alerts.

Why TTC fell from a model transit system to Twitter target: Chong

Why TTC fell from a model transit system to Twitter target: Chong

March 7, 2010

By Gordon Chong

Read More: http://www.torontosun.com/comment/2010/03/05/13132191.html

#########################################

The TTC has captured interest and headlines over the past few months — mostly for the wrong reasons. The slowly gathering storm of resentment over the poor and sometimes surly service finally erupted. This phenomenon begs the questions: Why now? And, why so vehement — especially when ridership is so high? It seems counter-intuitive.

The answer is rather simple. A critical mass of long suffering transit-captive customers finally found an enabler to substantiate their complaints about poor or abusive service — modern technology! Customers could finally graphically demonstrate their complaints without getting mired in the bureaucratic maze of writing or phoning to complain, only to receive a nice response that either repudiated or downplayed their complaint as an isolated incident rather than a troubling pattern management was likely aware of.

Predictably, this storm has seized the attention of politicians, forcing them to scramble. A customer service panel has been established; a private member’s bill declaring the TTC an essential service has been tabled in the legislature; management has been galvanized into action; the union has reflexively misjudged the public mood by defiantly defending the indefensible. There was a time, a few decades ago, when the TTC was the model transit authority to emulate. Transit officials from around the world made pilgrimages to Toronto to see and learn how things should really be done. Somehow the TTC got derailed.

#########################################

From the former chair of GO Transit, backbench Con MPP and dentist. Priceless.

His answer to students concerned about GO eliminating discounted fares: "Transit is not a social service"

Get bent, Chong.

Noticed these privacy screens up yesterday at Wilson. I assume they are fairly recent? The area the booth operator is visable in is no biger then six inches across.

Then I got this response about it via Twitter.

@picard102 The screens are so your urban friends will stop casing our collectors before robbing them at gun point. #ttc
http://twitter.com/TTC_CSR/status/14033746371

Not sure I buy that explination. Even if the account is a joke.

Attachments

• 4607686628_d7e9839020_o.jpg
    4607686628_d7e9839020_o.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 212
Thought one of the points of collectors was to increase eyes watching the station. Now they are only human ticket machines. Now collectors are almost completely pointless.

Thought one of the points of collectors was to increase eyes watching the station. Now they are only human ticket machines. Now collectors are almost completely pointless.

It looks like they're able to see out from the screen, but it's harder to see into it. Either way their view is significantly reduced.

Back