News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Oh, I'm well aware of that, but you're telling me this is the best they could have come up with?
Certainly not. There are better layouts. There are also 100% low-floor buses:
IR6025_A_pmg.jpg
irisbus_citelisline_ar_tcl.jpg

All they had to do was write the RFP so as not to preterimine the Orion VII. Kind of tough now with only small orders, but they'd have got something decent had they done it when they were tendering some of the large orders of a few years ago.

The TTC's all-low-floor buses were terrible. Most certainly worse than the partial low-floors. Compromises often have issues, sure, but the alternative is often worse.

I'm more pissed off about the seating layout in the Orion VII, with very little dual forward facing seats on the lower level. On the lower level, there is only two sets (one of which doesn't have anything in front of the isle seat, making it seem more uncomfortable imo). On the right side of the bus, I'd like to see at least two sets of front facing seats with three side seats. The left side could remain the same, but with a barrier between the dual sets and single forward facing seats like on the right side. This would be similar to the layout on YRT New Flyer buses but with more standing room. Articulated or double decker buses could be used on the heaviest routes.

At least they fixed the seating in the back of the first gen Orion VIIs. Seats with barely enough leg room for a god damn midget!

Question:

With 54 Lawrence East the longest route with a 2 min frequency, why do they have 40+ buses? 39 Finch East has 60 buses with a 60 sec frequency in peak periods.

The TTC has a captive customer base without alternatives. They're the lowest level of transportation in the city, anyone who can takes their cars, GO Transit, taxis, scooters/motorcycles or bicycles. The TTC knows that no matter how bad their customer service is, the customer will always come back.

The proletariat don't make 6 figures a year. Just because they don't wear suits, and they're jobs aren't that important (or in the case of TTC booth workers, aren't even close to necessary), doesn't make them the proletariat.

Also, are you trying to say we've got good service compared to the Ukraine? Really? That's going to be your point of comparison?

I agree, there is no reason why TTC fare collectors need to be paid well. It is a rather low skill job that anyone with a few days of training can easily do. The pay for driver is perfectly normal and that job can be stressful.
People get angry at me because they say "what is wrong with somebody making a decent earning?"
There is nothing wrong with that, however paying the fare collectors is just plain pointless and a waste of money. IMO they should either be replaced by machines or by younger people.
Imo you could find many people who would work that job for 14-16 dollars an hour instead of 25+...

With all that money saved, the TTC could keep their stations cleaner.

I think the reason why so many are mad at the TTC is because they are facing increasing fares, to pay for the same service.

The TTC has a captive customer base without alternatives. They're the lowest level of transportation in the city, anyone who can takes their cars, GO Transit, taxis, scooters/motorcycles or bicycles. The TTC knows that no matter how bad their customer service is, the customer will always come back.

Except that the TTC has some of the highest choice ridership in the country. Still, I will agree that it is run like their entire ridership is transit reliant though...

The reason why many take the TTC out of choice, is because they are actually people living in the core going in and across the city. In many cities in North America, the transit system is just used for ferrying people from the Suburbs to the Downtown and no one uses it during the day or on the weekend.

I think the TTC mentioned that peak ridership has not grown much at all, but there has been a massive increase in transit use at night and during the day. Also, unlike other system the TTC has very frequent service (normally) even during the day.

TTC is attractive in some parts however it still has poor customer service.

The reason why many take the TTC out of choice, is because they are actually people living in the core going in and across the city. In many cities in North America, the transit system is just used for ferrying people from the Suburbs to the Downtown and no one uses it during the day or on the weekend.

I think the TTC mentioned that peak ridership has not grown much at all, but there has been a massive increase in transit use at night and during the day. Also, unlike other system the TTC has very frequent service (normally) even during the day.

TTC is attractive in some parts however it still has poor customer service.

GO Transit and the TTC both get the lowest subsidy from any kind of government in North America. If the TTC got the kind of subsidy that Montréal or New York City gets, we would get better customer service.

The TTC also has a very large choice customer base. Leaving the well publicized incidents aside, the TTC customer service is not that terrible. Drivers are friendlier, you have SMS text for streetcar arrival times, and the TTC is implementing a major service increase in September. You can make blanket assumptions, but the TTC is still the best value in the city, other than biking, and walking.

GO Transit and the TTC both get the lowest subsidy from any kind of government in North America. If the TTC got the kind of subsidy that Montréal or New York City gets, we would get better customer service.

Why is customer service so much better on the GO, I rode the system for 3 years and only was I faced by a rude employee.

The stories for the TTC however, are numerous.

Like when you see like 20-30 people standing around at Bloor Station with their red jackets and thier Russian hats in the winter time. Makes me feel like I am at some Communist meeting lol!!

Last edited:
The TTC also has a very large choice customer base. Leaving the well publicized incidents aside, the TTC customer service is not that terrible. Drivers are friendlier, you have SMS text for streetcar arrival times, and the TTC is implementing a major service increase in September.
Hardly a big deal. That happens every September.

Except that the TTC has some of the highest choice ridership in the country. Still, I will agree that it is run like their entire ridership is transit reliant though...
I've already listed all those who have transit options. What I'm referring to is that core group of riders that have no choice.

Back