News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just got back from downtown and I came up with a new TTC complaint. The guy in the booth at Union station (Asian man with big glasses) needs to be fired! The line was HUGE and the guy was taking his time with giving change. I heard the sound of 3 trains pass below before I finally got change to pay my fare.

The TTC has a monopoly within the price range that it charges. Regardless of the service it provides, most people have to take it, and therefore it has a huge obligation to provide top notch customer and transportation service.

If you have a bad experience at the Bay, you'll go to Sears next. If you don't like coke, you'll try pepsi. But if your trip was wrecked by a rude driver, the lack of alternative means you'll be back on that same route the next day, the day after, and the day after.
What the TTC loses are the optional trips. For example, if I'm taking my wife and two kids to High Park from Cabbagetown, I can either take the Streetcar at the bottom of Sumach Street or take the mini van. Parking is free in High Park, and we already own the vehicle, so the only reason I'd take TTC is for the convenience and novelty of the trip for the kids. If the experience is negative, well then, next time I'll take the van.

Just got back from downtown and I came up with a new TTC complaint. The guy in the booth at Union station (Asian man with big glasses) needs to be fired! The line was HUGE and the guy was taking his time with giving change. I heard the sound of 3 trains pass below before I finally got change to pay my fare.
I recommend buying tokens, you only need to see this pillock once a month or so, and you get to sail right past the tourists asking all the questions or old ladies searching for exact change.

I recommend buying tokens, you only need to see this pillock once a month or so, and you get to sail right past the tourists asking all the questions or old ladies searching for exact change.

I only went to sign a contract and needed change. I wont be heading back downtown until September unless im doing something there, but ill most likely just drive. During the school year I use a metropass.

Parking is free in High Park, and we already own the vehicle, so the only reason I'd take TTC is for the convenience and novelty of the trip for the kids.

Well, depending on weather and events, another reason might be anticipated scarcity of parking...

Well, depending on weather and events, another reason might be anticipated scarcity of parking...
Having travelled and driven in London (UK) and throughout many dense European cities, I must say that Toronto is never lacking for places to park. With my family of four, plus a friend or two in the van it costs less to park at most of the expensive downtown lots than the cost of transit fares.

2005's expansion of the TTC Day Pass, good for Saturdays and Sundays for 2 adults and 4 children should help in cases like yours, Admiral - though weekends, it's not typical to see parking prices more than $8, except around Skydome on game days, perhaps, or Clubland after 6.

Though it doesn't work for weekdays, even when parking rates go above $20 in many places.

just to get the thread back on track, here's one of my top gripes (out of hundreds)

given that we don't have fare cards like most big transit systems in the world, why can't the TTC get more than 1 or 2 token machines per station, have them actually work, and have them take cash, (ie all cash, not just $10 and $20 bills), credit and debit cards. the ones now are so laughably bad it's embarrassing. if i want to get 10 tokens i have no choice but to line up for the surly idiot in the booth. what other transit system anywhere makes it so difficult to actually pay your fare?

Guess what...on Friday evening, had dinner in chinatown with friends...took the Spadina street to Union.....at King...the driver changed sign...and I was like...oh no.....and yup, at Queen's Quay, he said, U turn...so we had to get off AGAIN....wow unbelieveable. 2 out of 2 in 2 days, lol

Even the TTC's new MetroPass machines don't take credit cards, only debit. Yet, you can pay credit or debit at the booth (in selected stations). It often seems nobody is looking after the big picture of customer satisfaction when it comes to the TTC.

Even the TTC's new MetroPass machines don't take credit cards, only debit. Yet, you can pay credit or debit at the booth (in selected stations). It often seems nobody is looking after the big picture of customer satisfaction when it comes to the TTC.

It would be cool if they took university student cards too! Load your student ID with money, swipe it and get the discounted metropass without having to wait in the huge line at school.

Meanwhile, I paid for a LA Metro $3 day pass with a credit card. Even GO's less than worthwhile fare machines allow you to purchase single ride tickets with a credit or debit card (but only allow cash payments by coins, which is stupid!). Brampton's 4 terminals (and Mississauga's Square One and Islington booths) lets you buy tickets with debit - York's machines did take credit cards, but now only take debit.

It would be cool if they took university student cards too! Load your student ID with money, swipe it and get the discounted metropass without having to wait in the huge line at school.

Most of the compulsory student bus passes are just built in to the student card. Laurier, Nipissing, and others come to mind.

Back