News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A raft of new tenders are out in service of Easier Access.

Specifically tenders are out for elevators at Rosedale, Summerhill and Castlefrank

Of note, the Summerhill contract includes total reconstruction of the existing station entrance.

Castlefrank:

Rosedale:

Summerhill:

A raft of new tenders are out in service of Easier Access.

Specifically tenders are out for elevators at Rosedale, Summerhill and Castlefrank

Of note, the Summerhill contract includes total reconstruction of the existing station entrance.

Castlefrank:

Rosedale:

Summerhill:

I wonder how they will do the work at Summerhill without closing the station?

New TTC agenda is up for the May 12 mtg.

In said agenda is the annual accessibility plan (report)

That item is linked here:

Items of note from said report:

1620317376069.png

1620317396859.png

1620317454957.png

1620317598100.png

1620317648808.png

1620317767322.png

1620317818497.png

Not enoug sapce for them on the streets of Toronto plus they are overbuilt many standards. Even in Edmonton, they aren't building one that masive.
I am not sure why they are overbuilt, I am also not sure why Edmonton a city with a fraction of our per capita ridership should be seen as a model.

I am not sure why they are overbuilt, I am also not sure why Edmonton a city with a fraction of our per capita ridership should be seen as a model.
I'm just saying that no one is building shelters like the ones that YRT built for VIVA. I also don't really see what population of a city has to do with the type of shelters being built for an LRT.

I'm just saying that no one is building shelters like the ones that YRT built for VIVA. I also don't really see what population of a city has to do with the type of shelters being built for an LRT.

What I am wondering is why they don't build miniature covered stations. I am not talking concrete with full facilities, I am thinking more along the lines of an enclosed space above ground at the stops like the walkway from the Enercare Centre to the Streetcars at Exhibition Place.

What I am wondering is why they don't build miniature covered stations. I am not talking concrete with full facilities, I am thinking more along the lines of an enclosed space above ground at the stops like the walkway from the Enercare Centre to the Streetcars at Exhibition Place.
Space on the platform so that people can walk around it as well as for wheelchairs, strolers and other mobility aids. Having a roof like that would mean having multiple support posts that there may not be space for on the platform.

I managed to get out for a walk today, and started at Chester Station.

So I grabbed a couple of pics of the new second exit.

Taken May 19, 2021.

They really are a good illustration of quality design.

*note the series of large rocks used to create a protected pedestrian space along the new structure.

One found use, as seen below as someone's table for a lunch al fresco.

1621464784834.png

Also of note to me, was the fence along the walk way on the northern side of the building, dividing same from an adjacent private property.

Not merely utilitarian. A wood and stone selection that works with the adjacent building, conveys a positive aesthetic and some warmth.

Notice also how the height scale progresses from the front yard to the back.

1621464975129.png

Those are some amazing pictures. By far this is among the most thoughtful and well executed projects the TTC has done in the past 20 years.
I was pretty happy with the results of the Woodbine second exit and elevators too. In particular the use of the original wall tiles for the new walls. I didn't even think that was possible any more.

Those are some amazing pictures. By far this is among the most thoughtful and well executed projects the TTC has done in the past 20 years.

I suspect that's partly because there are a bunch of detached houses right by it, and the sheer amount of blowback the residential second entrances had received.

AoD

Back