News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Tender for Easier Access (Elevators) for Christie Station is out.

1631654517496.png

Renders of the new building for Summerhill Station (surface building must be replaced as part of the Easier Access Project)

1631654684047.png

1631654710360.png

We really must talk about the new default ceiling finishes and box lights...........yuck!

Also, the red tile is..........umm....cheerful...........not what I would have picked, but looks ok..........

But this......

1631654800179.png

Egads that's awful!

Photos taken Sept 28, 2021:

Just a couple of the Donlands Stations work site(s).

1632859438125.png

The above is on Donlands, immediately outside the station. Below is looking down the street towards the Second Exit site at Dewhurst.

1632859492480.png

Side not, seeing as Spot Northern Light appears to have become a recent UT pastime...........you might have seen my on my ~9km walk today from just this spot to Union Station, assuming you were somewhere in said area between Noon'ish and 3pm.

This is the first of many project updates to come.

With construction of Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown LRT coming to completion by 2022, the workers will shift over to Line 1 and 2 to help speed up on the completion for the accessibility target of 2025. Just in time to tear up Islington and Warden for a complete rebuild of those stations.

I can confirm from my travels today that Sherbourne Station is now accessible. The barriers are down and I 'called' one elevator just to see if it worked, LOL

Pictures aren't terribly interesting, but I may add some when I d/l the camera.

Edit: Picture added below:

1640580464361.png

Observation: Its par for the course for the TTC not to try to match station finishes when it does second exits and/or elevators. Nor does it usually manage a good contrast either........

Here, they tried to match the existing wall finish......and its, close'ish........

Of all the stations..........why would you try to match Sherbourne........one of the most unattractive, depressing tile jobs in the entire system..........?

(for clarity, accessibility is far more important than aesthetics here.........but really, for the same $$ never mind a paltry sum more, much better could have been achieved)

Last edited:
I can confirm from my travels today that Sherbourne Station is now accessible. The barriers are down and I 'called' one elevator just to see if it worked, LOL

Pictures aren't terribly interesting, but I may add some when I d/l the camera.

Edit: Picture added below:

View attachment 371675

Observation: Its par for the course for the TTC not to try to match station finishes when it does second exits and/or elevators. Nor does it usually manage a good contrast either........

Here, they tried to match the existing wall finish......and its, close'ish........

Of all the stations..........why would you try to match Sherbourne........one of the most unattractive, depressing tile jobs in the entire systems..........?

(for clarity, accessibility is far more important than aesthetics here.........but really, for the same $$ never mind a paltry sum more, much better could have been achieved)
Sherbourne station is so depressing, the Photo ID booth moved to Bathurst station.

I don't see it describing where, but is still expected at the very north bit of Queen's Park?

To the best of my knowledge, that is correct; the project page is not yet up on the TTC site.

However, given that the existing exit is at the north end of the platform, and that the platform here is directly under Queen's Park Circle, there really aren't many other choices.

In theory, they could go cut and cover and then put additional entrances off to each side, however, so far as I know, that is not the plan.

We shall have to wait for confirmation.

It is worth adding at this juncture that I am aware of talks going back a long time ago on incorporating something into the redevelopment of the Planetarium site.

In that case, I believe there were 2 primary purposes, one was simply to take all the stair accesses on the west side of QPC and taken indoors; the other was to incorporate an up escalator to the surface;
as it is/was TTC policy to have such a path wherever possible.

However, I believe that was entirely in respect of replacing the existing exits, not second-exit compliance.

To the best of my knowledge, that is correct; the project page is not yet up on the TTC site.

However, given that the existing exit is at the north end of the platform, and that the platform here is directly under Queen's Park Circle, there really aren't many other choices.

In theory, they could go cut and cover and then put additional entrances off to each side, however, so far as I know, that is not the plan.

We shall have to wait for confirmation.

It is worth adding at this juncture that I am aware of talks going back a long time ago on incorporating something into the redevelopment of the Planetarium site.

In that case, I believe there were 2 primary purposes, one was simply to take all the stair accesses on the west side of QPC and taken indoors; the other was to incorporate an up escalator to the surface;
as it is/was TTC policy to have such a path wherever possible.

However, I believe that was entirely in respect of replacing the existing exits, not second-exit compliance.
I appreciate that at least in this case, the second entrance actually feels somewhat meaningfully distant from the primary one. Chester comes to mind. . .

Back