News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

College Station project moving along, but not breaking any speed records...... - photo taken yesterday, June 16th, 2023:

View attachment 486048
Its real hard to shot the site and looks the same like I saw it months ago. Do see some rebar at the north end that has been there the last time I shot it. If that the case, forming of the walls underway that will support the road over the box.

June 25
The first 2 beams to support the roof of TTC College Subway Station Second Exit/Entrance + Easier Access Project are form and pour at the the south end. Various rebar for other beams and walls in various stages of being put in place and to be form.
53013423180_b2195a29fb_b.jpg

53013208404_8258c1a5fa_b.jpg

53012452872_f7016e8e43_b.jpg

53013522448_608fd01e50_b.jpg

Last edited:
July 24
TTC College Subway Station Second Exit/Entrance + Easier Access Project
53070037505_99c827bb8e_b.jpg

53069833084_70166d9ef5_b.jpg

53069640641_a663b2df5e_b.jpg

53070037705_2a93f1dc7e_b.jpg

53069057962_1c018b490a_b.jpg

53069640751_dbe3c098f1_b.jpg

Cross post

TTC piloting two new accessibility features

August 9, 2023

As the TTC continues to work towards increasing accessibility for all customers, it has begun piloting two new technologies across the system.

The first, a subway-style, rear-door exit chime on new hybrid-electric buses, gives customers who experience low vision an audible cue that doors are about to close. The second pilot is the Contactless AccessTM elevator app at select subway stations, which allows customers to control elevators at certain stations, providing a quick, sanitary, and touch-free experience.

Beginning this month customers will hear a three-tone rear-door exit chime on select buses, similar to the chime heard on subways. This sound will be embedded in all New Flyer hybrid-electric buses, purchased as part of the TTC’s transition to a zero-emissions fleet.

The TTC has begun taking deliveries of 134 forty-foot, and 68 sixty-foot, New Flyer hybrid-electric buses, which will operate from the TTC’s Mount Dennis Division, serving customers in North York.

After testing the effectiveness and performance of the rear-door exit chime system, the TTC expects to make it a standard feature on all future new vehicles in its bus fleet.

The Contactless Access™ elevator app pilot project allows customers to use their smartphone to control elevators, providing a touch-free experience, especially for customers with disabilities, seniors, and those who may be carrying large objects or pushing strollers.

Stations included in the pilot project are Finch, Kennedy, Kipling, Union and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre stations. Customers will need to download the free Contactless Access™ app from the Apple App Store or Google Play, either before getting to the station, or by using the TCONNECT Wi-Fi network, available at all subway stations. They can also scan the QR code posted at any of the elevators included in the pilot.

The app uses Bluetooth Low Energy technology to allow wireless control of elevator buttons from up to 10 feet away, and does not require customers to be connected to WiFi or a data network to use the app. No personal data will be collected or stored by the app. Use of the app is optional, and customers can also continue to use the existing buttons to control elevators included in this project.

The pilot will run until Sep. 30, 2023. Customers can provide feedback by completing a Suggestion Form in the Customer Service section on ttc.ca, by calling 416-393-3030 or emailing accessibility@ttc.ca.

September 4
Just added another 260 shots to my backlog including for Collage Station.

The roof slab will be pour this month as all the rebar is in place for it and installing ducting for hydro service as well other service now.. One way or another, Young St should return normal in Oct.

Depending on other interior work, this new connection maybe open by year end
133A8674.JPG
133A8671.JPG
133A8668.JPG

Sept 16
The College Station roof is now 100% pour

Too dark for photos

I assume the extra space at each end was for working space and will be fill in when backfilling takes place.

No idea why there is a column frame at the north end other than for a sign support base.

The removal of the bracing can now be remove that will follow by the cutting of the shoring beans. Once that is done, backfilling can take place with the pouring of the road and sidewalk slab. Paving and stripping will be the last thing to be done.

End of Oct could be the timeframe when Yonge St return to normal.

No idea what still has to be done for the tunnel work,

Sept 16
The roof is now 100% pour

I assume the extra space at each end was for working space and will be fill in when backfilling takes place.

No idea why there is a column frame at the north end other than for a sign support base.

The removal of the bracing can now be remove that will follow by the cutting of the shoring beans. Once that is done, backfilling can take place with the pouring of the road and sidewalk slab. Paving and stripping will be the last thing to be done.

End of Oct could be the timeframe when Yonge St return to normal.

No idea what still has to be done for the tunnel work,

Where?

A report to next week's TTC meeting shows significant slippage in the Easier Access Program.

For those interested in the delays at different stations, many are addressed in the appendix of the report, too many to copy/paste them all.
Significant slippage indeed - the TTC is going to miss the 1 Jan 2025 deadline by quite a margin!

Of the 16 remaining stations to become accessible, three stations are scheduled to be completed in 2024: Donlands, Glencairn, and Castle Frank stations. By the end of 2024, 81% (57 of 70) of TTC stations will be completed. Nine stations are scheduled to be completed within 2025, at which time 94% of stations (66 of 70) will become accessible. Spadina, King, and Warden are due to be completed within 2026 and Old Mill is expected to begin construction by early 2024 ...
So 2027 for full accessibility? I can see some activist groups easily winning a lawsuit to be honest - there's not a lot of legal wiggle room for the TTC...

If I was the board, I'd be crucifying the CEO on why they are only just finding out that so many construction projects are way behind schedule. They've certainly been aware of issues at a couple of stations - but this is far more than that.

If I was the board, I'd be crucifying the CEO on why they are only just finding out that so many construction projects are way behind schedule. They've certainly been aware of issues at a couple of stations - but this is far more than that.
It been known for years that Islington and Warden wouldn't meet the 2025 deadline and not surprised with the 2026 date now. Both stations were subject to redevelopment of the exist lands for housing and still hasn't happen yet.

As for Old Mills, who responsible for the expropriation of the land and that has flown under the radar??

Everything was subject to funding with a number having no funds to start with.

One needs more info as to why a number of these stations are running 3 months to 2 years behind schedule to say this is the reason for it. Some has to do with the engineering drawings, contractors and supply chain.

At the end of the day, the CEO should had informed the board members that there was a major slippage in meeting the deadlines over a year ago, not now. Another example of poor management on the CEO end and why he needs to be shown the door along with a few mid and upper management personnel.

Also, this isn't a 6 month slippage here, a 4 month slippage there - King and Spadina seem to have a 2 year delay! (Q4 2024 to Q3/4 2026).

Back in 2015, I do remember Byford warning that trying to construct a large number of station accessibility projects close to the 2025 deadline could cause issues - better to "smooth" out the construction over a longer period (i.e. 2015 to 2025). But that ship has now sailed.

Back