News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

It's logical since they're probably losing a lot of money with the transferable metropass, and demand is most sensitive with the people who occasionally decide to take the TTC instead of the car. Luckily, we won't be losing routes this time. But, the grey clouds are still there since the TTC is still lacking money. Works with the weather too.

The Metropass up by over $9 a month? That's a big jump, way above that psychological $100 mark. I won't be affected until April, where MDP will cost about $100 a month.

Cash fares at $2.75 will stay the same, that's probably fair, but $2.25 per token or ticket starts to sound really pricey. One thing that really fustrates me about fare hikes is how they have increased far faster than the rate of inflation.

That said, it's better than service cuts. The Star reports that the cancelled service improvements will happen now just after the new year, though they are really long overdue.

Stupid Move

The TTC already has one of the more expensive fare structures among major world cities.

Considering the clear need to shift to a more transit-centric city, these price increases are to say the least unhelpful and show something of a hypocritical streak in the Miller-ite camp.

For some reason they are steadfastly resisting tolling the Gardiner and the DVP or imposing a congestion charge or applying a parking tax, or charging for now free parking at various suburban parks and libaries.

While car-drivers get off scott-free, the transit-going population is gouged.

I will agree a fare increase is a better alternative to service cuts, but I think its utterly excessive given the failure to tap motorists for even one more nickel.

The fare hike ends my support of TTC; I'll be choosing the car and feet over it all times once the hike comes into effect. $109 for the fairly limited system that we have is completely inexcusable.

its much cheaper then GO and you can go all you want, wherever you want and when ever you want. :rolleyes:

try taking the GO if your not going to Union.... :p

The point is, they are completely different services. GO is regional transportation, operating over longer distances with less riders. It is a premium service, and you pay a premium for it.

really actually i did some math and if use the TTC everyday twice (5x a week x 4 weeks) and used tokens, you it cost 90 or so dollars!!! Even with the hike!!!

not so bad for me then... :p

really i don't see why some people who use the TTC twice a day during the work week and have a metropass.

A metropass is only good if you use the TTC as your main source of travel (like having no car).

That is an outragous increase. The TTC union is the biggest cancer this city is facing.

Star

Link to article

TTC approves 15¢ fare hike

Sep 12, 2007 05:45 PM
TESS KALINOWSKI
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
You'll pay more to ride the TTC starting in November - 15 cents on tokens and tickets and $9.25 a month more for a Metropass.

But 37 threatened bus routes and the Sheppard subway will remain in service and a plan to alleviate overcrowding on 77 bus routes, that was postponed this fall, will now take place in February - providing council comes up with some money from a new land transfer tax that Mayor David Miller hopes will finally pass in October.

The fare hike will bring the price of a token or ticket from $2.10 to $2.25 and a monthly Metropass to $109 from $99.75. The single cash fare of $2.75 remains the same.

The service improvements, which should make 77 bus routes more tolerable, could mitigate the loss of riders who might leave the system as a result of the higher price, said TTC Chair Adam Giambrone.

More than half the TTC is overcrowded beyond what transit officials consider a tolerable level.

The fare increase should raise about $35 million in revenue for the TTC, money that is essential if the transit system doesn't want to drive away riders who would like seek alternatives if service continues to decline.

â€When we're overcrowded it takes us longer to board and get off the bus and it limits the system's ability to deal with surge loads such as when school or an event lets out and there's an above-average crowd using the system. More than half the routes in the city are already beyond tolerable,†said TTC Chief General Manager Gary Webster.

"It's very important we have enough service on the street to provide tolerable crowding," he said. "It's important to remind ourselves what our customers have been telling us for years -- ''Service is more important to me than a potential fare hike.' "

Although no one wants a fare hike, a survey of 17,500 riders and residents showed most would prefer it or a tax increase to service cuts.

But several speakers, who appeared before the commission at a special meeting at City Hall today, noted that fare hikes hit hardest at the working poor, students and disadvantaged groups.

Higher transit fares are forcing low-income families to choose between buying shoes for their children and being able to pay their way to work, said Katrina Miller, campaign director of the Toronto Environmental Alliance.

"This isn't a one-time thing," she said. "This will be the third fare increase in three and a half years."

The TTC decided to look at a fare hike and service cuts earlier this summer after the city ordered it to cut $30 million from this year's budget and trim almost $100 million from its expectations for 2008.

But Giambrone said the TTC still needs the city to give it more money to grow the service.

does this also mean that university students who have a discount on their metropass will also be affected by the hike on the MP?

Back