News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

stupid unions...

i doubt the TTC can really be short 100 million dollars due to not enough riders or such.

stupid unions...

i doubt the TTC can really be short 100 million dollars due to not enough riders or such.

As much as I dislike ATU 113 (specifically, thanks to Bob Kinnear and that union's strike-happy mentality, legal or otherwise), you can't blame unions for the faults of the province and short-sighted city council budgets.

Well I don't like to pay more for anything, I'd much prefer to put in an extra $0.15 per ride than see any service cuts. It's the lesser of two evils, I think.

As for the metropass, it's never made economic sense for me, because I don't ride the TTC every day - mostly just weekdays, and even then not every day (joys of working from home).

The City of Toronto is overflowing with money, however most of it is wasted on redundancy and inefficiency. There is no excuse for this fare hike, and no excuse for the other service cuts.

I would love to use the TTC more often given that I almost live ontop of a subway station. But because I have a car for work and am financing and insuring it anyway, the incremental cost of driving really is cheaper than the TTC. Therefore I usually end up walking for short trips, and driving for everything else.

Star

Link to article

â€When we're overcrowded it takes us longer to board and get off the bus and it limits the system's ability to deal with surge loads such as when school or an event lets out and there's an above-average crowd using the system. More than half the routes in the city are already beyond tolerable,†said TTC Chief General Manager Gary Webster.

"It's very important we have enough service on the street to provide tolerable crowding," he said.

If drivers actually enforced courtesy, crowding could be much more tolerable than it is now, and the whole service would be more efficient. The majority of passengers do not move to the very back of the bus/streetcar, nor do they take a seat when one is available and the driver's rarely, if ever, advise people to move to the back (on many occasions, I've been the one passenger to tell the others proper courtesy).

really actually i did some math and if use the TTC everyday twice (5x a week x 4 weeks) and used tokens, you it cost 90 or so dollars!!! Even with the hike!!!

not so bad for me then... :p

really i don't see why some people who use the TTC twice a day during the work week and have a metropass.

A metropass is only good if you use the TTC as your main source of travel (like having no car).

Actually, once you factor in the tax credit, having a monthly metropass is only marginally more expensive than buying 10 tokens or tickets per week. With the pass, you have the freedom of paperless transfers as well as additional trips at no extra cost.

There are certainly times that there's plenty of room at the far back and some dolts can't be bothered to move all the way. But the Orion VIIs really don't encourage standing back of the rear doors, and this is not the fault of passengers. The drivers can only do so much in these cases.

There is also the problem of poor line management and even a minority rump of lazy drivers, who on a crowded route do not relieve crowding by intentionally "soaking" the first bus in a convoy.

Big plan-and-half in getting people to use transit over cars.

Pretty crappy, but better than the other options. I'm glad that the cash fare was unaffected though.
PS: The topic title kinda threw me off.

thats a fair question...VIP isn't based on an annual contract like MDP is, rather just the number of passes sold. I can see a rush to join MDP nnow to lock in the $90/month for a year

I'm sure it'll be three bucks before we know it. That's what a single fare is now in Ottawa.

if transit expands rapidly for the next coming years, i will be happy with the increase.

I do like the TTC is doing somethings to make the service marginally better unlike in the mid 90's.

However if this happens year after year something is wrong.

I accept the fact that more riders does not = tons of more money but if things are even remotely efficient they should lead to massive losses....

Lord Mandeep's math points out something very interesting: the TTC is wildly out of line internationally in that you can't even cover the cost of a Metropass with a commute to work and back every work day. That's virtually unique. Look at Brussels, for example. Cash fare is, if I recall correctly, 2 euros. That's actually a bit higher than the TTC. The pass, however, is 500 euros for a year.

Back