News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

They keep talking about the $121 being based on 48 rides instead of 50. Last time I checked 48 x $2.50 = $120. That would be a lot simpler ... On the first day of the month, I wonder how many times the collector will have to break $140!

I don't get the logic behind giving a lower fare to university students. The TTC has a captive customer base that has a huge cost of switching away from your business, i.e. university students have no choice but to use the TTC; so why give them a discount, as it only reduces revenue? The TTC was complaining just last week that the recent increase in ridership was pushing up costs above revenue, so why would they want to increase ridership of low paying fares, which just adds to this same problem of more riders paying below cost?

You've already got the students and seniors, they don't have cars, so they're for the large part not going anywhere, and those few that quit the TTC will enable services to be reduced to save costs. You can safely ignore these folks, as they're stuck using your service.

What the TTC needs to be doing is going after the full fare-paying discretionary rider. These are the folks that pay the most for their seat, and give the most per ride in revenue.

I don't get the logic behind giving a lower fare to university students. The TTC has a captive customer base that has a huge cost of switching away from your business, i.e. university students have no choice but to use the TTC; so why give them a discount, as it only reduces revenue?

I think this is because the TTC wants to establish long-term transit loyalty in university riders. Not all of them are from Toronto - some may never have relied on transit before. If the TTC gets them on cheap, and they stay in the city, the theory goes that they'll continue relying on the TTC after they graduate and start paying full fare.

Also known as "the first one's free, but the rest'll cost ya."

I'm sorry folks ... there's no solution whatsoever ...

Sure we can improve somethings / increase efficiencies but in the end that'll amount to minimal savings - from a budget perspective.

To our senior citizen friend, what bus route do you use? Like it cut?
I'm sure if it was "your" bus route being effected you'd be up and arms again.
People have no decency in this world and all mainly self centered ...
Do you think transit workers get paid more then other similar agencies accross the world? They don't, so unless your planning on driving the bus for us please be considerate of others.

The only solution here is simple, take your pick:
1) expect more and more transit increases, we'll always be the most expensive - the metropasses are the ones hurt MOST by a lack of government subsidy.
2) Stop complaining to the TTC and start complaining to the other levels of government at fault here.

No tokens at the convenience store near work
No tokens at Union Station
No tokens at King Station
Limit of 1 token at all machines

At Union and King, customers were going to the booth to buy tokens and the collectors were just waving them through, letting them on the system for free.

gee, its just like the Queen streetcar..:rolleyes:

From here:
TTC introduces temporary adult ticket. Token sales halted until new year.

November 22, 2009

The Toronto Transit Commission is introducing a temporary adult ticket starting tomorrow, November 23, and suspending all token sales until Jan. 3, 2010.

The measure is designed to ensure the TTC has sufficient tokens to meet normal demand in January after the recently approved fare increase comes into effect. The TTC also has a financial responsibility to ensure revenue losses are stemmed whenever possible. Without taking these steps today, the TTC could lose more than $5 million in 2010 revenues due to token hoarding.

“TTC riders have been understandably frustrated by the current token restriction. By issuing temporary tickets, the TTC has found a way to allow customers to buy bulk fares in the short term,” said TTC Chair Adam Giambrone. “This announcement today alleviates customer frustrations, and also allows the TTC to ensure it doesn’t lose, potentially, millions of dollars in much-needed revenue.”

While the TTC will not limit the number of temporary tickets people can purchase at one time, this temporary adult ticket will not be sold after Jan. 2, 2010. Customers with temporary adult tickets after that date will be required to add 25 cents to the farebox with their temporary ticket to match the new 2010 adult fare of $2.50. After Jan. 31, 2010 the temporary adult ticket will not be accepted as fare. The TTC will neither refund nor exchange temporary adult tickets.

Temporary adult tickets will cost the same as the current token price of 5 for $11.25 or 10 for $22.50.

Tokens will continue to be accepted as fare, and single tokens can still be purchased at token vending machines throughout the subway system. The TTC will also supply authorized ticket agents and institutions that purchase large quantities of tokens with temporary adult tickets until Jan. 2, 2010.

Brad Ross has noted on his twitter feed that token dispensers at automatic entrances will still be kept supplied so as to permit cash-carrying users to gain access there. I presume those will be set to $2.75 = 1 token, otherwise their whole cunning scheme falls apart.

Last edited:
^ This token-hoarding trend is just one more reason why TTC should switch to a smart fare card system ASAP.

Apparently one of the reasons why the Octopus Card in Hong Kong was introduced in 1997 was because transit operators at the time anticipated people hoarding British colonial "Queen's Head" coins as souvenirs after the city's handover to China (coins were required for fare payment on buses and for buying subway tickets from machines).

Presto is coming to a handful of stations early next year but TTC is too incompetent to install it on the buses / streetcars.

gee, its just like the Queen streetcar..:rolleyes:

Only if they don't have to transfer onto another bus, though fare prospectors just might be in luck next to someone's discarded gum. :p

Presto is coming to a handful of stations early next year but TTC is too incompetent to install it on the buses / streetcars.

:( No need to resort to name calling.

Besides, staff have endorsed a full roll-out.

Brad Ross has noted on his twitter feed that token dispensers at automatic entrances will still be kept supplied so as to permit cash-carrying users to gain access there. I presume those will be set to $2.75 = 1 token, otherwise their whole cunning scheme falls apart.
All TTC has to do is simply start selling tokens at the new $2.50 price right now. That will end hoarding; and it could be implemented very quickly.

All TTC has to do is simply start selling tokens at the new $2.50 price right now. That will end hoarding; and it could be implemented very quickly.

...but this way, they get to gouge us for an extra month or two.

...but this way, they get to gouge us for an extra month or two.
If the choice is between not selling any tokens, or starting to sell them at the new price now, then your not being gouged.

Besides, there is only 5 weeks until the fare goes up. Surely everyone has already purchased enough tokens to last them until January already! With the restricted sales, I simply started buying 5 every time I passed an agent, and by the time I counted what I had this weekend, I realized I'd already got more than what I needed ... perhaps I should go out an buy some tickets now, and use those in December, and save the tokens until January!

If the choice is between not selling any tokens, or starting to sell them at the new price now, then your not being gouged.

Tokens are $2.50 each, since no one has any for sale, one is forced to pay the $2.75 cash fare. This is called gouging their customers.

Surely everyone has already purchased enough tokens to last them until January already!

How can you be so sure? Are you one of the hoarders that is causing this mess?

With the restricted sales, I simply started buying 5 every time I passed an agent, and by the time I counted what I had this weekend, I realized I'd already got more than what I needed

Oh, you are. Bravo for you. :rolleyes:

perhaps I should go out an buy some tickets now, and use those in December, and save the tokens until January!

They stopped ticket sales a year ago....so that they can gouge their customers...pay attention.

Back