News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

4412 has been out the last 2 days doing on street testing.

The future Is starting to arrive, but not the first to do this. Once these start to come main stream, time TTC to move to it with the next fleet as well adding more cars to the fleet. Once the last car is remove or converted, time to remove the eye sore overhead system that will save TTC money yearly both on powering the system, maintaining it as well the equipment on the fleet. Most likely will have charging stations along the route like what been plan for TTC buses as well other systems using battery power trams today.

First battery-powered tram successfully tested by Hitachi Rail
I highly doubt we are going to see battery powered streetcars ordered any time soon unless suddenly the TTC is given a large amount of money to specifically but them or a manufacturer wants to use Toronto as a pilot project for them.

I highly doubt we are going to see battery powered streetcars ordered any time soon unless suddenly the TTC is given a large amount of money to specifically but them or a manufacturer wants to use Toronto as a pilot project for them.
I would say 15-20 years would be the earliest when we may see battery power cars.

Alstom is replacing BBD and until we can get another manufacture to built TTC next cars, it will remain a single sole supplier to TTC. The next subway cars needs to be open marketed since they will be needed in the next 10 years.

There was another one in the yard tonight (as seen from St. Clair). Wasn't able to catch the number unfortunately.
1612225331183.png

I would say 15-20 years would be the earliest when we may see battery power cars.

Alstom is replacing BBD and until we can get another manufacture to built TTC next cars, it will remain a single sole supplier to TTC. The next subway cars needs to be open marketed since they will be needed in the next 10 years.
I think the next order of subway trains will be very interesting to see what happens with it. I think that whatever process they go through they will probably most likely want to have assembly done in Canada.

Even then we could very easily seed Alstom getting the contract and using Thunder Bay to build them as everything is already set up with TTC gauge tracks where as anyone else would have to build a brand new facility with test tracks.

I think the next order of subway trains will be very interesting to see what happens with it. I think that whatever process they go through they will probably most likely want to have assembly done in Canada.

Even then we could very easily seed Alstom getting the contract and using Thunder Bay to build them as everything is already set up with TTC gauge tracks where as anyone else would have to build a brand new facility with test tracks.
You're making a bunch of assumptions here: (ie: Alstom will get the order for the next order, Alstom will keep the Thunder Bay and or/Kingston plants open, etc...).

Let's walk first, before we start chewing gum at the same time.

Reactions: DSC
4427 was reported in Lambton on Sunday after arriving from QC and is to be off loaded this week. This is in the timeframe I said sometime ago we would see 4427. Been 159 days so far for 4427 and we should be seeing 4413 (133 days so far) this month as well.

4416 will be the next ones to return around March 9 and 4419 around March 14 unless 4471 (671 days) and 4479 (741 days) every show up by then.

Would say off hand 4420 or 4422-25 could be the next car to go to QC, but TTC may send X instead.

The other car is for Metrolinx as noted.

You're making a bunch of assumptions here: (ie: Alstom will get the order for the next order, Alstom will keep the Thunder Bay and or/Kingston plants open, etc...).

Let's walk first, before we start chewing gum at the same time.
That's true too but I think if they do make a bid they would probably use an existing facility rather than building something brand new. I could see them get rid of one of them if surpluses to others. If they do get rid of one I would guess it would most likely be Kingston being made redundant as thunder Bay has test tracks already in place that are TTC gauge tracks, where as Kingston is all standard gauge tracks for its test loops.

That's true too but I think if they do make a bid they would probably use an existing facility rather than building something brand new. I could see them get rid of one of them if surpluses to others. If they do get rid of one I would guess it would most likely be Kingston being made redundant as thunder Bay has test tracks already in place that are TTC gauge tracks, where as Kingston is all standard gauge tracks for its test loops.

I'd think dealing with the gauge of track is about 2 orders of magnitude less of an issue than moving production from one to the other.

If only one to close, my guess would be Brampton or Kingston. In the long term, I'd expect them to try and move to one facility in Ontario. And I very much doubt it will be the current facility in Brampton. At the same time, they've had issues hiring speciality trades in North Bay. None of the three locations seems ideal.

The speed that it happens is going to be a function of things like the next subway car order and the next GO Transit car.

Perhaps they can make Quebec, Ontario, and New York all happy, and move all production to Akwesasne! :)

http://www.akwesasne.ca/overview/

Looks like 4413 was off loaded today as it tracking at Hillcrest, but not in the normal location after being off loaded. If off loaded, a quick 136 day turn around compare for the 159 days for 4427.

4434 took 4427 place on the flat yesterday and looks like 4425 took 4413 place today. Expect to see both cars return about the 2nd week of July.

4427 finally made its way to the service yard track this afternoon as it was still at Hillcrest this morning, considering it was off loaded Tuesday. May see it back in service between the end of March to end of April as well 4413.

Edit: Can not be 4425 taking 4413 spot as it was ship Dec 23/20. If it has return, that will be the fastest turn around to date at only 44 days and 47 days if off loaded Monday.

Last edited:
Looks like it 4434 that was loaded on Feb 4 at Hillcrest.

The tracker for 4413 shows its at Hillcrest in a wrong location and has been not seen for a few weeks. 4425 is tracking on a flat at Hillcrest consider it was loaded on Dec 23 and cars have been off loaded since then.

4427 was out testing today and did in service testing on Dundas. It only arrived Feb 2. 4412 is out on the service yard track.

We are about a week or so away from seeing 4413 been return after been loaded 141 days ago. Could see 4416 and 4419 by the end of March at the earliest but more like mid April, as they were loaded 111/107 days ago.

The tracker for both 4413 and 4425 are still tracking even though both were off site at the time at the time of my last posting. They are a few cars were the tracker hasn't turn off like most of them that after leaving TTC site..

The tracker 4413 is correct now as it been sitting at Hillcrest over the weekend and could be off loaded today. 4436 will take 4413 spot on the flat. Looks like they are reducing the current turn around time compare to the past, but not close to what it should be,

Looks like 4427 has done all its burn in by the look of the amount of days and nights it was out testing last week as an in service car. We may see the car back in before the end of the month or early March. 4412 has been spending a lot of time out on the service yard that there maybe a possibility of return to service late March, but more likely June.

The tracker for both 4413 and 4425 are still tracking even though both were off site at the time at the time of my last posting. They are a few cars were the tracker hasn't turn off like most of them that after leaving TTC site..

The tracker 4413 is correct now as it been sitting at Hillcrest over the weekend and could be off loaded today. 4436 will take 4413 spot on the flat. Looks like they are reducing the current turn around time compare to the past, but not close to what it should be,

The trackers on the cars only work for a couple of minutes once power has been removed. If the tracker is for 4413 is showing at Hillcrest, that is because it was last tracked there several months ago before leaving for its upgrades, and hasn't been updated since then.

Dan

Back