News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I can't wait till I heard the news that the next batch is delayed cause BBD is having trouble having LCD screen communicating with VISION and USB plugs being overvoltage!
You mean Alstom

Reactions: rbt
I would expect we will see some changes in the next batch of cars based on what TTC has learn so far. Some will be out of sight. You may see USB plugs.
Unless they order more than the proposed small order that was before the TTC board and city counsel I doubt we will see USB plugs on the streetcars anytime soon.

Don't forget that USB ports can become obsolete.
Exactly for example Google phones only come with a cable that has USB-C connections on both ends which means that if someone who has one would have to buy a separate cable that has both a USB-A and a USB-C connections on it. Also a lot of people don't like to connect their phones to a USB port that they aren't sure if it's been tampered with. Plus also the locations on Buss that have them aren't really all that convenient to get too.

I would expect we will see some changes in the next batch of cars based on what TTC has learn so far. Some will be out of sight. You may see USB plugs.
USB plugs on public transit. That sounds like a really bad idea from a maintenance perspective. It would become something that everyone points to as an example of the fleet being poorly maintained and in disrepair. It will have gum and dirt in it, it will be damaged from physical wear and yanking. On an airline you hope to collect enough revenues to cover this kind on maintenance, but for transit you would be going to the taxpayer to fix this, and to other people's point the technology is far from future proof.

USB plugs on public transit. That sounds like a really bad idea from a maintenance perspective. It would become something that everyone points to as an example of the fleet being poorly maintained and in disrepair. It will have gum and dirt in it, it will be damaged from physical wear and yanking. On an airline you hope to collect enough revenues to cover this kind on maintenance, but for transit you would be going to the taxpayer to fix this, and to other people's point the technology is far from future proof.

TTC and GO have had USB plugs on some of their vehicles for several years now and continue to order equipment with them, and they seem to suffer no more or no less damage than the "standard" outlets as also equipped on a large proportion of the GO fleet.

And I'm sure that there are other agencies that have had them installed for far longer, too. If if was that much of a problem, I suspect that the TTC and GO (and others) would have heard about it and taken steps to mitigate any issues - or remove them from use entirely.

Dan

TTC and GO have had USB plugs on some of their vehicles for several years now and continue to order equipment with them, and they seem to suffer no more or no less damage than the "standard" outlets as also equipped on a large proportion of the GO fleet.

And I'm sure that there are other agencies that have had them installed for far longer, too. If if was that much of a problem, I suspect that the TTC and GO (and others) would have heard about it and taken steps to mitigate any issues - or remove them from use entirely.

Dan

They are becoming obsolete though Dan much like the Micro USB cables from the early cell phones.

USB-A which WAS the standard for years (and is what the ports are designed for) are giving way to USB-C. Even my new charger is dual ended USB-C

They are becoming obsolete though Dan much like the Micro USB cables from the early cell phones.

USB-A which WAS the standard for years (and is what the ports are designed for) are giving way to USB-C. Even my new charger is dual ended USB-C
Many of the newer phones can charge wirelessly based on Qi standards.

It strikes me that trying to keep pace with industry/manufacturing specs in consumer electronics on publicly-funded platforms that live for decades is a fool's errand.

Back