News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have a question about the Waterfront streetcar line. Do you think it is possible for the streetcar line to ever expand deeper into the CNE grounds. Right now it essentially stops the back of the main convention hall, but it is still quite a walk away from BMO Fields. Can't they just tunnel under the GO entrance, then come up from the other side, and have a designated ROW on the northern side (behind the building) all the way to Duffern Gate? Add a stop in between for BMO fields.

I'm eager to hear how the new streetcars sound. The current ones have a very distinctive sound which I'd miss.

I have a question about the Waterfront streetcar line. Do you think it is possible for the streetcar line to ever expand deeper into the CNE grounds. Right now it essentially stops the back of the main convention hall, but it is still quite a walk away from BMO Fields. Can't they just tunnel under the GO entrance, then come up from the other side, and have a designated ROW on the northern side (behind the building) all the way to Duffern Gate? Add a stop in between for BMO fields.

Really? You find the streetcar stop to be too far from BMO Field? It is 350 m walk along Manitoba Street to Nova Scotia Avenue then turn left and walk 150 m to gate 1 of stadium. For 500 m you think tunneling is a good idea?

I was in Seattle on the weekend....they have an LRT station in the parking lot of their stadium...it is 475 m from the closest gate of the stadium to the bottom of the stairs up to the trains (elevated LRT at that point).

So our old streetcar loop and relatively new stadium are roughly the same distance apart as the purpose built situation in Seattle....I say that's not bad.

Last edited:
I'm eager to hear how the new streetcars sound. The current ones have a very distinctive sound which I'd miss.

The new ones have a distinctive quiet hum to them, more of a low hovering sound than the current wheels-on-rails sound.

I was around the TTC building just north of the tracks near Hillcrest one night last fall when I heard it coming south on Bathurst and I knew what it was before I could see it.

The new ones have a distinctive quiet hum to them, more of a low hovering sound than the current wheels-on-rails sound.

I was around the TTC building just north of the tracks near Hillcrest one night last fall when I heard it coming south on Bathurst and I knew what it was before I could see it.

OOO hovering eh? Sounds futuristic.

Yeah, that's what I would call it too.

This video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9KhHutEoY

has more of the usual wheelset rumble that we're used to, but you get a sense of it as it speeds up near the end.

I know many people don't think this is important, but the sound, looks, and riding experience on that vehicle is far nicer than a bus. And I experience it daily since there are many many buses speeding down Eglinton all the time, loudly accelerating & braking.

I can't wait to actually see one in person.

I can't imagine there'd ever be a stop much closer to BMO Field, it's not that far.

But essentially you just described the Waterfront West LRT line. Extending west from Exhibition loop, along the railway tracks, over a new bridge west of Dufferin to King Street, on dedicated ROW to Queensway.

Presumably it would literally go through the existing GO station buildings, and the stop might get shuffled a bit.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfront_West_LRT and https://web.archive.org/web/2011110...nvolved/projects/waterfront_transit/index.htm

I can't imagine there'd ever be a stop much closer to BMO Field, it's not that far.

But essentially you just described the Waterfront West LRT line. Extending west from Exhibition loop, along the railway tracks, over a new bridge west of Dufferin to King Street, on dedicated ROW to Queensway.

Presumably it would literally go through the existing GO station buildings, and the stop might get shuffled a bit.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfront_West_LRT and https://web.archive.org/web/2011110...nvolved/projects/waterfront_transit/index.htm

Even taking it to Dufferin doesn't get it close to BMO.

If the 1990's EA plan along the Lake Shore had taken place for the Waterfront West LRT line, it would be a little more closer to BMO, but not as much as the other person wants it.

The whole entrance to GO would have to be rebuilt as well the CNE as a underpass is needed to keep TTC at current level.

Look at the colour of the traffic lights.

There's no way to tell from a still photo whether the streetcar entered the intersection on a red, green or yellow light. Plus traffic facing the green still has to check that the way is clear before proceeding - green doesn't mean 'go no matter what'.

Intersections get blocked (momentarily) like this all the time when streetcars aren't even involved.

Back