News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Spadina has never really had ALRVs as they can't fit in Union loop. However, with the current short-turn (at King or Queens Quay) it could be conceivably possible that there may be the odd one.

I think I also read somewhere that they stopped using them on Spadina because if an ALRV became disabled within the Spadina/Union Station tunnels, it is too heavy for a CLRV or another ALRV to push out of the tunnels and up the ramps - and considering how unreliable the ALRVs are, the chances of this happening were probably quite high

I think I also read somewhere that they stopped using them on Spadina because if an ALRV became disabled within the Spadina/Union Station tunnels, it is too heavy for a CLRV or another ALRV to push out of the tunnels and up the ramps - and considering how unreliable the ALRVs are, the chances of this happening were probably quite high

A TTC employee told me the exact same thing.

The problem is multi-fold.

First off, as was written above, was the issue with the operator not being able to watch the tail-swing of the car. When the TTC ran ALRVs on Harbourfront, they had to station someone on the platform at Union.

Second, in the event that an ALRV failed while in the tunnel at Union Station, a CLRV could not push it up the hill. An ALRV can do it, but only with much difficulty. The ramps at Spadina are much less steep, and don't have the issue of a sharp curve at the base of the exit ramp, preventing a build-up of speed.

Third, if an ALRV needs to have its brakes cranked off, they are done on the closed-side of the car at each truck. Because of how the equipment is located, there are locations in the tunnels where it is simply impossible to access the location on the truck. CLRVs have their brakes cranked off at each truck as well, but is done in a different manner which allows staff access regardless of where the car is located.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Third, if an ALRV needs to have its brakes cranked off, they are done on the closed-side of the car at each truck. Because of how the equipment is located, there are locations in the tunnels where it is simply impossible to access the location on the truck. CLRVs have their brakes cranked off at each truck as well, but is done in a different manner which allows staff access regardless of where the car is located.

What do you mean by "cranked off"? Do the brakes occasionally become locked and need to be unlocked manually? Also, what is the "closed-side" of the car?

What do you mean by "cranked off"? Do the brakes occasionally become locked and need to be unlocked manually? Also, what is the "closed-side" of the car?

If the brakes or air system fail, the brakes will automatically apply, and thus need to be manually cranked off before the vehicle can be towed or pushed.

Closed side refers to the left-side of the vehicle. Open side - where the doors are - is the right.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Word is, 4403 is to arrived by Friday depending CP delivery it as the First official production car. There is no word when the other 5 needed for the Aug 31 will be here.

The first 60 cars will come with pole and pan while the remaining order will be pan only.

All of the new cars will be store at Roncesvilles Yard for the routes that operate of there now starting with 510.

All the 510 cars remove from the line as the new cars go into service to start the retirement of the ALRV's on 501. 3 CLRV will replace 1 ALRV.

Come 2016 and depending on Leslie carhouse being in service, the current route storage will change. Nothing is written stone at this time, but the current yards will handle none main routes like 510, 511, 512 509 from Ronc well 505, 506, 502 from Russell. Russell can only store 3 cars per track in the yard. Rest from Leslie.

Most people like the car, but surprise to learn they have to open the door to get on or off. The lack of height was an issue with some as they were over 6'-4 and hitting their head on the stop signs and other things. Others wanted to know how they could get around it when the doors or some them were close and good luck trying to do that.

4401 pass me on Collage before 9 and wasn't sure if it was going to Russell or out testing and it was flying. Should shot a video in place of photo as the camera wasn't fast enough to get the one shot.

Folks love the PCC ride around the yard as well having the 2nd one on display including the Witt.

Last edited:
good to see that the ALRV replacements will still see an overall capacity improvement on the network instead of replacing it at a 1:1 ratio until you start to build capacity later in the decade, at least for the ALRVs they are replacing them at a close to 2:1 capacity ratio. This means that for every ALRV they retire they will add the equivalent of roughly 2 ALRVs in capacity to the network.

good to see that the ALRV replacements will still see an overall capacity improvement on the network instead of replacing it at a 1:1 ratio until you start to build capacity later in the decade, at least for the ALRVs they are replacing them at a close to 2:1 capacity ratio. This means that for every ALRV they retire they will add the equivalent of roughly 2 ALRVs in capacity to the network.
TTC is saying now, 501 to be 100% new car by the end of 2016.

There is a need to maintain existing headways for the new cars as well reduce the headway since there a lot of pent up for better service so people can get on a car as well the accessibility community finally to ride a streetcar for the first time, people with stroller that cannot get on as it too hard and then the bike community.

I wish TTC stop saying these cars will carry 250 rider as you will be lucky to see 200. I have already place the bets on those numbers and no one wants to take my bet as they know I am right. Unless you are buck naked, thin, small and carrying nothing, you may get 240 at best. Since we don't travel this way, numbers are lower.

All of the new cars will be store at Roncesvilles Yard for the routes that operate of there now starting with 510.
Come 2016 and depending on Leslie carhouse being in service, the current route storage will change.

510 is currently stored at Russell, not Roncesvalles. Current storage would have to change in 2014 if 510 is going to be run with the new cars out of Roncesvalles.

510 is currently stored at Russell, not Roncesvalles. Current storage would have to change in 2014 if 510 is going to be run with the new cars out of Roncesvalles.

Since both yard service the 501 & 504, Less cars will come out of Roncesvalles to allow 510 to operate out of it. Russell would then having more cars for the main routes. In 2016, they would be move to Leslie.

That is why the new maintenance house at Roncesvalles was built there. TTC will be lucky to see 20 cars this year and 36 in 2015. That will be the max for that yard if I remember correctly.

CLRVs pushed out by the LFLRVs are to be stored at the CNE siding, until the Leslie carbarns are ready. Then the LFLRVs would be shifted to the Leslie carbarns, in the short term.

Back