News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I think I'm going to really miss the old cars. They have such a distinctive look and I love opening the little windows when the weather is nice. I assume the new ones are mostly shut up tight because of the AC.

I think what ill miss the most is the higher vantage point from the high floors. It wouldve been nice if the new streetcars were partially high-floor. But i guess the higher seats above the wheels and the larger windows will be ok.

I think I'm going to really miss the old cars. They have such a distinctive look and I love opening the little windows when the weather is nice. I assume the new ones are mostly shut up tight because of the AC.

Originally, the CLRV prototypes had no windows that could open. The sliding windows were put in because of the lack of air-conditioning.

I, for one, will not miss the old streetcars. I have had to wrangle a stroller up and down those stairs one too many times.
I've done it a couple of times ... wasn't difficult. Lift up stroller with child inside and carry it up stairs. Strollers aren't difficult. Those massive SUV-like baby carriages are another story, but I can't comprehend why most people would ever use them.

Though a baby carrier on the front is much easier most of the time, until they well over 2.

So the new streetcars will result in a greater system-wide capacity? I always thought they were replacing them so that there would actually be FEWER physical cars, but they would carry more people, albeit with longer wait times.

Also, has anyone estimated what the savings in travel time will be once they roll out all-door boarding? I've heard around 20% faster...

So the new streetcars will result in a greater system-wide capacity? I always thought they were replacing them so that there would actually be FEWER physical cars, but they would carry more people, albeit with longer wait times.

Also, has anyone estimated what the savings in travel time will be once they roll out all-door boarding? I've heard around 20% faster...

Not during the first month or so. Expect to see people waiting at the doors (usually the front door) for them to open, but don't press the button to open them. They have to learn to operate the doors like elevator doors.

IMG_2719C.jpg

Not during the first month or so. Expect to see people waiting at the doors (usually the front door) for them to open, but don't press the button to open them. They have to learn to operate the doors like elevator doors.

I'm imagining something similar to this situation for the first few months :cool: :

[video=youtube;SRZYUyiQMcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZYUyiQMcU&feature=kp[/video]

I've done it a couple of times ... wasn't difficult. Lift up stroller with child inside and carry it up stairs. Strollers aren't difficult. Those massive SUV-like baby carriages are another story, but I can't comprehend why most people would use them.
infants under 6 months are not recommended for lightweight strollers. I managed to get on a 505 with my kid and a folded stroller but then had to divide my attention between him trying to make a break for it and stopping the stroller from falling and hitting another rider. Also, pushing a lightweight through anything more than light snow is difficult. Reality is that while it is fashionable to take shots at strollers in some quarters the vehicles of the future will have fewer (non priority) seats and more open floor because of wheelchairs and other mobility devices as the population ages.

infants under 6 months are not recommended for lightweight strollers.
True. But when they are that tiny, I don't even put them in a carrier. Just a sling. Much easier to settle.

Also, pushing a lightweight through anything more than light snow is difficult.
Until this winter, my comeback to this, but how often does that happen in Toronto :) Though I still think carrying them is far easier. If someone like me, in my late 40's and the start of arthritis can do it with no problem (all the extra exercise has helped actually), then I'd think it's easy enough for most younger, more able-bodied parents. I'll admit the umbrella stroller was a saviour at one point for a few weeks, when I was having a bit of back/hip problems.

I think those big strollers are absolutely absurd. Unless there's health issues ... or twins ... I really think they should be banned from transit vehicles. Half the time, they seem to have 4-year olds in them. Which I also think is absurd.

True. But when they are that tiny, I don't even put them in a carrier. Just a sling. Much easier to settle.

Until this winter, my comeback to this, but how often does that happen in Toronto :) Though I still think carrying them is far easier. If someone like me, in my late 40's and the start of arthritis can do it with no problem (all the extra exercise has helped actually), then I'd think it's easy enough for most younger, more able-bodied parents. I'll admit the umbrella stroller was a saviour at one point for a few weeks, when I was having a bit of back/hip problems.

I think those big strollers are absolutely absurd. Unless there's health issues ... or twins ... I really think they should be banned from transit vehicles. Half the time, they seem to have 4-year olds in them. Which I also think is absurd.

Why stop with only infants?

piggyback-rider-800x400.jpg

Lets piggyback.
ayh-63h-4.gif

Kiddin'.

Has anyone here on UT secured a ride on June 11 via the Twitter trivia contest?

I'm going.

Got 2 personal invites and will be going

Back