News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Weird. I don't see Queen St. @ Victoria listed as one of the stops to be removed. Originally it was one of the stops discussed to be axed.
That Toronto Star graphic only seems to include the ones that are recommended for immediate removal. If you look at the actual TTC report - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...n_Safety_andvCustomer_Journey__Times_Tran.pdf - you'll see on page 5, there are a further 11 stops, including Queen/Victoria which were proposed for removal, but will be subjected to further study because of nearby schools, community centres, hospitals, and senior's homes.

Clearly none have de-railed and I have not seen reports of them losing poles either so I assume they are training drivers and doing fine tuning to the kinds of things we (as passengers) do not see and checking things like whether a truck can push (or pull) a disabled car.

Don't assume that it doesn't happen just because you don't hear about it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

StreetcarTO ‏@StreetcarTO 1h

@GTAMOVEnetwork the test vehicles will be sent back to Bombardier. Not 100% sure how many yet for Aug 31.

Retweeted by GTA MOVE Network Urban_Railor ‏@Steelweelhusler 1h

@StreetcarTO @GTAMOVEnetwork the word through the grapevine is there will only be 2 on Spadina for August 31.

Don't assume that it doesn't happen just because you don't hear about it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
My assumption was based on fact that I have seen not reports or photos of either - the new streetcars are the most photographed and reported on things in Toronto after the Ford family so I think that a derailing would have been front-page news.

That Toronto Star graphic only seems to include the ones that are recommended for immediate removal. If you look at the actual TTC report - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...n_Safety_andvCustomer_Journey__Times_Tran.pdf - you'll see on page 5, there are a further 11 stops, including Queen/Victoria which were proposed for removal, but will be subjected to further study because of nearby schools, community centres, hospitals, and senior's homes.
Ya, that's where I saw it originally. I understand due to the hospital being at this intersection. It probably won't be removed.

Ya, that's where I saw it originally. I understand due to the hospital being at this intersection. It probably won't be removed.

Next, they'll be moving the Queen Subway Station east to Victoria because the current location of the subway station is too far.

StreetcarTO ‏@StreetcarTO 1h

@GTAMOVEnetwork the test vehicles will be sent back to Bombardier. Not 100% sure how many yet for Aug 31.

I guess this means that they've finally figured out how to deal with the accessible modules of 4401 and 4402 - specifically, how to integrate the new ones into the two units. I had been told that if they do go back it wouldn't happen until a good-sized fleet is on hand however.

My assumption was based on fact that I have seen not reports or photos of either - the new streetcars are the most photographed and reported on things in Toronto after the Ford family so I think that a derailing would have been front-page news.

There have been lots of tests that have happened away from the public eye. They have had a couple of derailments - some purposefully, some not. It's all part of testing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

oh, forgot those patients and hospitals workers who are too sick or tired to walk 90 meters. I mean if a Yonge is too far from St Mikes, what about patients at Toronto General, Mt Sinai? Those poor patients have to walk a whopping 190 meters from Queen's Park station!

it would be ridiculous for TTC to keep both Yonge and Victoria st. Maybe get rid of the Yonge East bound and Victoria West bound. The Victoria stop EB is right in front of 1 Queen East with direct subway access. There is no point to have a stop in front of the HBC; Move the Yonge st stop WB eastward a bit so that it is sufficiently close to the hospital that nobody will whine about walking for 90 seconds.

I just don't understand why in all other cities bus stops at 500 meters apart or more (among 50+ cities I have visited), while in Toronto people somehow think the existence of a hospital makes it necessary to have two stops 90 meters apart and can find all kinds of justifications. Can we name one city in the WORLD with 90 meter spacing? Not even in central Paris or Manhattan, and definitely not in highly dense Tokyo or Shanghai either.

Last edited:
I'd love to see one of those derailment tests for my own curiosity.

I would have too. Unfortunately, they happened while I (like most here) was at work.

Suffice to say that the result of all of the tests - purposeful and not - is that the crews know what they need to do in the even of a derailment.

What was wrong with the accessible modules, smallspy?

The biggest issue was the height of the door threshold relative to the ground. With the ramp deployed to the ground, it was felt that the angle of the ramp was too steep.

They have redesigned it to bring the threshold down closer to the ground (although by what amount, I don't know). This coupled with a redesigning of the installation of the ramp mechanism allows for a substantial decrease in the angle of the ramp when it is fully deployed.

The downside of all this is that the module is now structurally different than that installed on 4401 and 4402. It now looks as if they will send those two cars back to have a new module installed in them at some point in the future.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Where in Toronto is that? I'm tempted to say Hillcrest since that's the only streetcar yard I know of that's beside a rail corridor. But I don't recognize those buildings or the street.

Edit: Never mind, it's Hillcrest :) are the tracks in the photo specifically designed for LFLRV delivery? And if so, does it allow for delivery straight from freight to the yard? It looks like the LFLRV is on one of those flatbeds used on freight trains.

Last edited:
Where in Toronto is that? I'm tempted to say Hillcrest since that's the only streetcar yard I know of that's beside a rail corridor. But I don't recognize those buildings or the street.

Edit: Never mind, it's Hillcrest :) are the tracks in the photo specifically designed for LFLRV delivery? And if so, does it allow for delivery straight from freight to the yard? It looks like the LFLRV is on one of those flatbeds used on freight trains.

A new siding was built last year to off load the new cars at Hillcrest.

Once the track is place between the flat and the new landing, an exist streetcar will use its draw-bar by connecting to the new car and pull it off the car to the inspection area. Once everything is done, it will power put on and be put through all the testing including moving on its own. TTC will then sign on the doted line for the new car after everything has pass with no issue. It then will become the official first new car own by TTC.

With luck, some of us may get it to ride on June 11.

Being a day or 2 late than plan is a lot better than Maybe next month that has being on going since last fall.

Now when is 4400 and 4404 going to show up next if 4400 is to be a TTC car or will the numbers start at 4403?
8471612290_152edf4f49_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back