News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The exterior design is great. The interior is overkill for a heavy duty LRV. Those would need extensive modification inside to be viable on our streets.

Very excited for our new Streetcars...too bad we're not getting theses :(

Russia

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-russias-futuristic-new-tram-2014-7?op=1

2Diolsi.jpg

xxQNrdj.jpg

r8Wme5F.jpg

3JoyikU.jpg

AmgXvJV.jpg

l7D6JTm.jpg

6ed5tnS.jpg

SS: These Russian concept LRVs look like something right out of "2001: A Space Odyssey"...
There's definitely something "SYFY" about these LRVs...LI MIKE

Thoughts about autos sharing streets with LRVs...

The Americans seem to be notorious getting the biggest hits.

[video=youtube_share;CV2rdGX4JYc]http://youtu.be/CV2rdGX4JYc[/video]

WKL,NF and Everyone: After reading these replies I thought some more about this subject and I think that Toronto city and
area drivers are used to dealing with streetcars as compared to suburban and rural drivers that have no clue about sharing
a street with a LRV - this has nothing whatsoever in my mind to do whether the driver is from the US or Canada...

There are drivers out there that do not (or can't) comprehend that a couple of thousand pound automobile will not fare well
with any encounter with a much larger and heavier vehicle no matter if it runs on rubber tires or steel wheels...

I remember viewing that Houston (Texas) Metro video about LRV/auto collisions on YouTube and knowing that Houston is a
highly auto-dependent city it has taken time for those motorists to get used to "sharing" their streets with LRVs...

It will be interesting to see the TTC's "Caterpillars" get placed into service ...LI MIKE

I noticed with the new streetcar lines on Cherry and Queens Quay that they're building them to one side of the road rather down the middle. What's the thinking behind this? Is that how they'll do the Eglinton LRT?

I noticed with the new streetcar lines on Cherry and Queens Quay that they're building them to one side of the road rather down the middle. What's the thinking behind this? Is that how they'll do the Eglinton LRT?
We wanted this way. Its a follow up to what taking place on Queens Quay.

The crossing the street is a short walking distance without worrying about a car passing you. You could use the ROW as a special event area and still have traffic passing it.

The Eglinton will not be done that way. If there are long blocks with no driveways in them, you could use one side vs the centre.

I proposed this idea as well a single lane idea for Mississauga back in 2003. There are places around the world where you will find all 3 ideas. Detroit is going to build curb ROW for their new line on both sides of the road.

When Cherry St proposal went before both the TTC commission as well council, they were falling all over the place calling for this to be done for new routes. TTC staff doesn't support it then as well now, but not sure what the CEO thinks of it as it never been brought up. Parts of Finch was looked at for this idea and believe its off the table now.

Side of the street makes for tighter turns in some directions where lines connect. Cherry-King works presumably because they intersect at an angle.

Side of the street makes for tighter turns in some directions where lines connect. Cherry-King works presumably because they intersect at an angle.

I would like to do the tight turns on the new streetcar at a good speed.
[video=youtube_share;XHFfUmGLo7w]http://youtu.be/XHFfUmGLo7w?list=FLw5_RQJJi_4AkDW9v6ZJxKQ[/video]

To those who complain that the new streetcars are too long, 30.2m is not long compared with other streetcars/trams in the world.

The Siemens Combino Supra NF12B is currently the world's longest tram, located in Budapest Hungary, at 54m in length. It has eight doors (double) on one side.

800px-Combino_Supra_2036_in_Budapest.JPG

4269f4a0106943cf14d84b4e7ff.jpg

[video=youtube_share;JIgOahf3AfE]http://youtu.be/JIgOahf3AfE[/video]

Seen them, been on them and they are packed all the time.

They have order 61m cars now.

45m is becoming the standard for cars now.

Wroclaw is pronounced "Vrotswahf" not "Breslau" and definitely not "rock law" or "war claw."
Who mentioned Breslau? Breslau is the German name for the (now) Polish city of Wroclaw.

Breslau is between Kitchener and Guelph.
And like most town in the area was named for a German town. In this case, the German town of Breslau - which the Poles call Wroclaw.

Did I miss something? It's a wonderful video.

Back