40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

4001 in the hood.

Pics taken July 7, 2014
(Bathurst and King)

nufz3RG.jpg

b4sfQJF.jpg

Toronto's new "Caterpillars" being tested: Quite a change...

RM and Everyone: I note the TTC's new LRV "Caterpillars" being tested here...This is going to be a huge
change for the TTC and riders used to the 80s vintage CLRV cars may take time getting used to this new equipment...

I feel that these longer cars are more adaptable to routes with tracks that are in a central reserved space more than
routes sharing busy streets like the Queen Street route...Those shorter vehicles may be better for those type of routes...

LI MIKE

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that these longer cars are more adaptable to routes with tracks that are in a central reserved space more than
routes sharing busy streets like the Queen Street route...Those shorter vehicles may be better for those type of routes...
Is there really much difference between these 30-metre-long vehicles and the 23-metre streetcars currently on Queen? It's only a 7 metre difference.

And how is it worse than the 30-metre long 2-car PCC trains that used to run on some streets?

With 5 segments, compared to the 2 segments on the existing 23-metre long cars on Queen - wouldn't they actually be doing turns easier? They certainly won't stick out into the intersection as much!

I'm not seeing the concern.

Last edited:
Is there really much difference between these 30-metre-long vehicles and the 23-metre streetcars currently on Queen? It's only a 7 metre difference.

And how is it different from the 30-metre long 2-car PCC trains that used to run on some streets?

With 5 segments, compared to the 2 segments on the existing 23-metre long cars on Queen - wouldn't they actually be doing turns easier? They certainly won't stick out into the intersection as much!

The PCC streetcars had 3 (high) steps, while the CLRV streetcars had 4 (regular-sized) steps. The Outlook streetcars have 1 step (or zero iat level platforms). Since the Outlook streetcars will have doors further back from the front of the streetcar, there would be less of a gap between platforms and the step/floor.

I think the new streetcars won't be much of a learning curve to most riders, as most people use metropasses, and they don't actually have to do anything when they board through any door. The learning curve will be with those who pay with cash or tokens, and have to learn not to throw away their tickets or transfers when on or before boarding the vehicle. Presto will be interesting when it rolls out, but everyone will get the hang of it eventually. Aside from technical and accounting issues, I think go transit riders figured out how to use presto fairly quickly.

The new LFLRVs will have a step at platforms, as all current platforms are not level with the doors. I don't think there are plans to add any level platforms anywhere (probably to keep them consistent).

Many CLRVs get bunched up anyway, so two CLRVs in a row are the same length if not longer than an LFLRV, and that's not an uncommon thing, and doesn't really have much more of an effect on traffic than one CLRV. I think the real advantage to the new streetcars that will really speed things up, for passengers and cars, is the all-door, one-step loading, which should mean that they spend much less time at stops.

And how is it worse than the 30-metre long 2-car PCC trains that used to run on some streets?

NF: Good observation here-I am primarily thinking about how these longer LRVs will fare in street traffic-until auto drivers
get used to these longer cars and their sections it will be interesting to note if any LRVs become involved in mishaps caused
by misjudging the length of these new LRV cars being one example...These cars will take getting "used to" for many Torontonians...

LI MIKE

NF: Good observation here-I am primarily thinking about how these longer LRVs will fare in street traffic-until auto drivers
get used to these longer cars and their sections it will be interesting to note if any LRVs become involved in mishaps caused
by misjudging the length of these new LRV cars being one example...These cars will take getting "used to" for many Torontonians...
They've been on the streets now testing since 2012 without a single incident reported for a Toronto driver. It's the Americans who keep running into it. We discussed above at - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...ting-delivery-Bombardier)?p=882590#post882590

14283262990_9391041184_b.jpg

Wasn't there a second fender bender just afterwards with Jersey plates or something like that?

The Americans seem to be notorious getting the biggest hits.

[video=youtube_share;CV2rdGX4JYc]http://youtu.be/CV2rdGX4JYc[/video]

From Star:

Unionized workers at a Bombardier plant that supplies streetcars, subway cars and GO Transit cars to the Toronto area have set a strike deadline for Monday, July 14.

Pension and benefits are the main issues in dispute, said Dominic Pasqualino, president of Unifor Local 1075, which represents nearly 1,000 workers at a Bombardier rail plant in Thunder Bay.

The plant builds light rail and mass transit vehicles, including Go Transit’s green and white bi-level cars, and the Toronto Rocket, Toronto’s next generation of subway cars. It’s also building the city’s new streetcars.

“We build everything that’s rolling in Toronto,” Pasqualino said in a telephone interview.

At issue in the dispute are concessions the company is seeking, mainly in the area of pensions and benefits, Pasqualino said.

Three years ago, the workers struck over Bombardier’s attempt to reduce drug benefits for early retirees. The strike was settled within three days, he said.

Bombardier spokesperson Marc-Andre Lefebvre said the company’s priority is to offer “fair compensation” while also “maintaining competitive operation costs.”

building bi-level trains for GO Transit, light rail vehicles for Metrolinx and Kitchener-Waterloo, and Toronto’s new streetcars. The first of the new streetcars, which are scheduled to go into service Aug. 31, includes air conditioning, wheelchair accessibility and a new proof-of-payment system.

Very excited for our new Streetcars...too bad we're not getting theses :(
Looking at the seating ... and complete lack of hand rails. I'm glad we aren't getting them!

the-overhead-led-mood-lighting-keeps-the-interior-quite-bright-in-the-morning-and-dim-at-night.jpg

This looks more like a concept vehicle, than anything that will be hitting the streets anytime soon.

3 Russians cities are already interested including Moscow and the tram is scheduled to be release next year

3 Russians cities are already interested including Moscow and the tram is scheduled to be release next year
Let's see what the production vehicles look like. I suspect they'll look more conventional.

They do seem a bit narrow! I'm not familiar with the current rolling stock however.

Back