News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There's less than a week until our iconic new streetcars enter service on 510 Spadina. I'm more excited about this than I should be ;)

You're not the only one!!

I want to be on that first streetcar. Does this sound right? It will be leaving Spadina Station at 9 am on Aug. 31?

Last edited:
I wonder what the chances are of seeing the new streetcar on Aug 31st? I'm showing a visitor to Toronto around that day in the area, who happens to be interested in transit, but I'm not sure we'd stand around waiting for a huge amount of time to see the new ones.

I wonder what the chances are of seeing the new streetcar on Aug 31st? I'm showing a visitor to Toronto around that day in the area, who happens to be interested in transit, but I'm not sure we'd stand around waiting for a huge amount of time to see the new ones.
On Sunday afternoon, there'll be 18 streetcars in service, of which 2 (probably) will be new. So your odds are 1 in 9. Though if they take 40 minutes to do the round trip, then on average, if you stand somewhere in the middle (say Dundas and Spadina - Chinatown), you should see a new one on avereage every 10 minutes or so going one direction or the other. Even if they only ran one car, it would have to pass you every 20 minutes.

It would be great to know when every streetcar serving 510 Spadina is a Flexity Outlook.

probably late in the year, decemberish. Depends on when the Bombardier strike ends really, and how much, if any Bombardier can catch up on their delivery schedule. We were supposed to see the 510 completely replaced by the end of the year and to have Bathurst beginning its replacement, but that seems all but impossible right now.

probably late in the year, decemberish. Depends on when the Bombardier strike ends really, and how much, if any Bombardier can catch up on their delivery schedule. We were supposed to see the 510 completely replaced by the end of the year and to have Bathurst beginning its replacement, but that seems all but impossible right now.
I honestly doubt Bombardier will ever catch up. Ultimately, they'll have to be delivering 3 streetcars a month. Well more than that, when they start delivering the Flexity Freedoms in 2016.

I think they'll be hard pressed to deliver the Flexity Freedom's at 3 a month. And then they'll have another 202 Flexity Freedoms to deliver in the 5 years from about 2016 to 2020. That's about another 3 a month.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The TR production line will be ramping down around the time they need to ramp up production of the Flexity Freedoms, I'm not too concerned about that. It will free up some space at the plant, and the first few will be going to Kitchener anyway by the looks of things.

One of our new streetcars at Spading Station (Reddit)

1TUxXxM.jpg

Only two new low-floor streetcars on the 510 Spadina. Wonder if the PCC streetcars are able to be used for revenue service until after the Bombardier strike is over and we are able to get enough of the new streetcars to fill all the requirements of the 510?

4400%26PCC.JPG

Maybe even draft a Peter Witt streetcar.
spadina-473x315.jpg

Bombardier workers reject contract

From this link:

Bombardier Transportation has lost a bid to break the impasse with Unifor local 1075 that has seen the Thunder Bay plant idled by a strike for six weeks.

In a vote supervised by the Ministry of Labour on Tuesday, 81% of workers who voted turned down the company's last contract offer.

Union local president Dominic Pasqualino said 751 of the approximately 900 workers on strike participated in the vote.

"I think they were trying to drive fear into our workers. But our workers stood up to that and I think they tried to intimidate them by saying that they would not get a better offer," he said.

Pasqualino said by law, the company cannot request any more supervised votes. He said Bombardier tried to do something similar at a plant in Quebec.

"I knew they were doing tactics like this in La Pocatiere. And we verified this morning that they'd done this in La Pocatiere and their vote was 80 percent as well to vote no," he said.

Pasqualino said after that vote, the company made another offer and the two sides settled.

Company disappointed

In a statement, Bombardier vice-president Aaron Rivers said the company is "obviously disappointed." He said he will now shift his focus from fighting to get the Thunder Bay work force back to work "to ensuring that Bombardier's customer contracts and commitments are met."

The statement said the company would use its multiple resources to do that and that it is going to make "tough necessary decisions."

Sarah Buchan, a welder at the plant, said the vote shows how members are backing the union.

"We have so much money and so much great workers that know what they're doing at this plant," he said.

"It would be unintelligent of them to move it, or do anything drastic."

Back