News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which if I recall, was the reaction from many, when TTC first opened the Harbourfront LRT, exclusively using PCCs.

I vividly remember being a teenager visiting TO in the early 90's, and discovering the new LRT tunnel in Union, and being kind of blown away to discover such a whiz-bang thing I'd never heard about. It said "Harbourfront LRT" right on the wall! So I went down into the tunnel and waited, until a mighty roar came from the portal, and soon there arrived... a clanky old Red Rocket.

I told that story many times in the year to come, even as a guileless transit-loving teenager. So yeah, I could see how others would make hay too, today.

It would be amusing to return to PCCs on Harbourfront. By December, you could wait in the Union streetcar loop, and catch a Flexity for Spadina, or a PCC for Harbourfront.

One of our new streetcars at Spading Station (Reddit)

That picture is so exciting...really. I know there is a lot of knoweledgable people here who can (hopefully won't) remind me of the difference in vehicles, and station design, etc......but to this transit-interested laymen what I see in that pic is that a modern LRT vehicle in a purpose built station with platforms and weather protection looks a lot like a subway car.......string enough of those stations together so that those LRT vehicle's can move quickly between them....and the Crosstown will be accepted/perceived by most as just the Eglinton subway with a slightly different feel to it than the other subway lines.

That picture is so exciting...really. I know there is a lot of knoweledgable people here who can (hopefully won't) remind me of the difference in vehicles, and station design, etc......but to this transit-interested laymen what I see in that pic is that a modern LRT vehicle in a purpose built station with platforms and weather protection looks a lot like a subway car.......string enough of those stations together so that those LRT vehicle's can move quickly between them....and the Crosstown will be accepted/perceived by most as just the Eglinton subway with a slightly different feel to it than the other subway lines.

Yes, except the underground Eglinton Crosstown parts will have trains double or triple the length of one of the new streetcars. Maybe someone can photoshop that as a rendering of what it might look like :)

Yes, except the underground Eglinton Crosstown parts will have trains double or triple the length of one of the new streetcars. Maybe someone can photoshop that as a rendering of what it might look like :)
With a train length of 90 metres for a 3-car train, it will look very much like those 92-metre subway trains on Sheppard (at least in terms of length!).

So there's only going to be 2 of them in service. I guess you'd have to be lucky to catch one unless you wait there for like an hour to catch one.

We've had one analysis already:
On Sunday afternoon, there'll be 18 streetcars in service, of which 2 (probably) will be new. So your odds are 1 in 9. Though if they take 40 minutes to do the round trip, then on average, if you stand somewhere in the middle (say Dundas and Spadina - Chinatown), you should see a new one on avereage every 10 minutes or so going one direction or the other. Even if they only ran one car, it would have to pass you every 20 minutes.

So there's only going to be 2 of them in service. I guess you'd have to be lucky to catch one unless you wait there for like an hour to catch one.
On Sunday afternoon, a trip from one end to the other is only 20 minutes. At worst then, you'd only have to wait 40 minutes for the one you were waiting for to return. Or only 20 minutes, if you stand in the middle (Dundas) and are willing to catch it no matter which way it goes.

If there's 2 running, and they are equally spaced, there would be one passing Dundas and Spadina every 10 minutes.

We've had one analysis already:
You've got two now. :) Now, I wrote this from the point of view of the observer. Perhaps I should recalculate it to take into account relativistic effects of the velocity of the vehicle, from the point of view of the driver.

Back