News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Go to Spadina and stand around for a little while. A third of the streetvars (three of nine) are LFLRVs. If you're feeling particularly sluethy, you can use NextBus to track the location of the new streetcars. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of waiting to find one.

We were talking after TTC meeting today and its very possible we may not see any new streetcars until Feb or Mar next year.

TTC is also cocking this up by not talking publicly about it...it wasn't in the CEO's report, and no public discussion by the commission...and they haven't updated the previously released schedule from before the strike...

There needs to be public pressure on Bombardier by the TTC....not public pressure on the TTC by the Toronto Sun...by not getting out ahead of this Tory and Byford are going to look like morons...

What's the issue then? Sounds clear and simple.

Most of the time when I tap my Presto card I'd like to know what my balance is. Others may be interested in how much money was deducted from their card. Given the size of the screens you'd think it would be feasible to at least convey some valuable info.

Most of the time when I tap my Presto card I'd like to know what my balance is. Others may be interested in how much money was deducted from their card. Given the size of the screens you'd think it would be feasible to at least convey some valuable info.

Like every other Presto reader in existence already does.
And this issue was raised when they did testing panels for it in the summer, but they obviously didn't listen.

I don't understand why, because it will eventually at least need to show at least the transfer times in 5-10 years...once the whole system has Presto. (I mean, that double tapping for a transfer is just temporary...right, right?)

And have people stand there blocking the doors trying to read the screen? It's annoying enough when people in GO stations are lingering after they tap instead of moving on, but it would be even worse at streetcar doors.

It sounds like they've done the sensible thing here. Anyone who wants to check their balance, can do so online. If it's not up-to-date, they can mentally deduct what they've tapped that day.

Like every other Presto reader in existence already does.
And this issue was raised when they did testing panels for it in the summer, but they obviously didn't listen.
Or they did something sensible for once, to discourage people from lingering. Or worring what the numbers mean.

I don't understand why, because it will eventually at least need to show at least the transfer times in 5-10 years...once the whole system has Presto.
Presumably if one is concerned, one can then tap the other machine to check it, during the trip. I suspect most people aren't going to be worrying about it.

And have people stand there blocking the doors trying to read the screen? It's annoying enough when people in GO stations are lingering after they tap instead of moving on, but it would be even worse at streetcar doors.

I have never seen any people taking excessive time at GO Presto machines. As you mentioned, there are also balance checker machines for those who need more time or detail. Most people do not look at all, while most of the remainder (including myself) simply glance down as we tap and read the screen within a fraction of a second.

It's possible that Torontonians are bumbling fools that will stand around blocking traffic as they struggle to make sense of three digits and a decimal point, but my guess is that TTC riders will behave exactly the same as everyone else.

Last edited:
Not to mention every other system displays the balance with each tap already, and on a smaller screen. Hold ups are not a problem.

I have never seen any people taking excessive time at GO Presto machines.
I've seen many who stop in front of the machines to tap, instead of simply walking and tapping at the same time. Makes no sense to me ... but I seldom pay much attention to the display. Easier to check at home later if I'm curious.

Go to Spadina and stand around for a little while. A third of the streetvars (three of nine) are LFLRVs. If you're feeling particularly sluethy, you can use NextBus to track the location of the new streetcars. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of waiting to find one.

Nine? There's 21 cars out on Spadina every weekday and Saturday.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I have never seen any people taking excessive time at GO Presto machines. As you mentioned, there are also balance checker machines for those who need more time or detail. Most people do not look at all, while most of the remainder (including myself) simply glance down as we tap and read the screen within a fraction of a second.

It's possible that Torontonians are bumbling fools that will stand around blocking traffic as they struggle to make sense of three digits and a decimal point, but my guess is that TTC riders will behave exactly the same as everyone else.

I am not worried about that, but rather folks who don't have their token/coins/pass ready and end up fumbling all their pockets and bags when boarding the streetcar, with 10 people behind them unable to get in. Torontonians are nice and most just wait in patience (and people say it is a fast paced city, LOL). I normally just storm in front of them in an angry (excuse me). I never understood how come people could be so lazy and so inconsiderate and why the hell they can't have their payment ready while waiting at the stop. They'd rather stare at their phones than finding the money/pass. There should be a fine for doing that. It is like a car stopping in the middle of the flowing traffic.

This happens at subway stations as well. Why can't they find the money first before going through the entrance and asking for a token? Instead, they go straight to the fare booth asking for whatever they need, and then start to look for money all over the place, not caring there are 12 passengers waiting behind to drop the cash fare or buy tokens. This happens very often.

Last edited:
I am not worried about that, but rather folks who don't have their token/coins/pass ready and end up fumbling all their pockets and bags when boarding the streetcar, with 10 people behind them unable to get in. Torontonians are nice and most just wait in patience (and people say it is a fast paced city, LOL). I normally just storm in front of them in an angry (excuse me). I never understood how come people could be so lazy and so inconsiderate and why the hell they can't have their payment ready while waiting at the stop. They'd rather stare at their phones than finding the money/pass. There should be a fine for doing that. It is like a car stopping in the middle of the flowing traffic.

This happens at subway stations as well. Why can't they find the money first before going through the entrance and asking for a token? Instead, they go straight to the fare booth asking for whatever they need, and then start to look for money all over the place, not caring there are 12 passengers waiting behind to drop the cash fare or buy tokens. This happens very often.

That 1st scenario you described is exactly what POP solves: one person can't hold up the whole train while paying anymore, since they'll pay either before or on the train while its moving.

Lol.. ksun, no offence: but I imagine you pushing your way past old ladies getting on the streetcar while angrily screaming "Toronto sucks compared to the rest of the world!! Get out of my way, you slow North Americans!"

Back