News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've seen many who stop in front of the machines to tap, instead of simply walking and tapping at the same time. Makes no sense to me ... but I seldom pay much attention to the display. Easier to check at home later if I'm curious.

On Miway buses, people tap and stare at the screen all the time. It's really annoying.

That 1st scenario you described is exactly what POP solves: one person can't hold up the whole train while paying anymore, since they'll pay either before or on the train while its moving.

Lol.. ksun, no offence: but I imagine you pushing your way past old ladies getting on the streetcar while angrily screaming "Toronto sucks compared to the rest of the world!! Get out of my way, you slow North Americans!"

Yelling at the driver, "nooo skip this stop, we're not even 300m from the last one. keep going, keep going. Okay stop here. Open the back doors and get them on through the back."

To the passengers: "Okay people SQUEEZE onto the bus. I know this bus is rated for 70 people, but we can comfortable fit 200. Hurry up we've been sitting here for 10 seconds you slowpokes!"

On Miway buses, people tap and stare at the screen all the time. It's really annoying.

At Union station, some people tap the balance checker at least five times to see their balance, not knowing that they can simply tap and hold if they need a few more seconds to read the screen. But to be fair, I never knew that I can tap and hold until I accidentally discovered that.

Lol.. ksun, no offence: but I imagine you pushing your way past old ladies getting on the streetcar while angrily screaming "Toronto sucks compared to the rest of the world!! Get out of my way, you slow North Americans!"

NO. I have no issue with old and handicapped people moving slowly, because that's not something they can control.

However, I do get angry when people block the bus door looking for changes or passes, when they should have had it ready while waiting for the bus to arrive. It doesn't matter if they are old or young. If you are 89, you still have the ability to find your money/pass at the bus stop. It has nothing to do with age or mobility (unless the bus arrives immediately after you arrived at the stop). It is simply being lazy, irresponsible and wasting everyone else's time.

People would get the hang of it on the TTC. It was never a problem when using my Oyster card, either in the station or on a bus.

NO. I have no issue with old and handicapped people moving slowly, because that's not something they can control.

However, I do get angry when people block the bus door looking for changes or passes, when they should have had it ready while waiting for the bus to arrive. It doesn't matter if they are old or young. If you are 89, you still have the ability to find your money/pass at the bus stop. It has nothing to do with age or mobility (unless the bus arrives immediately after you arrived at the stop). It is simply being lazy, irresponsible and wasting everyone else's time.
You stated one of the major issues related to loading of vehicles for all transit systems.

One of my biggest bitch is riders not having their fare ready to board once the vehicle shows up when they being standing there for a few minutes or more. How many time do we see riders looking for their transfer let alone any fare media once on board?

If the person is carrying a lot of items that is preventing them from having fare in hand, they are allow some leeway as well having a child in tow. The rest are too lazy and fail to understand that they are holding up service on the line as well causing delay in moving everyone.

Watching riders using the new cars is unreal as why are they buying their fare on the car when they could do it on the platform in the first place? This would prevent the log jamb trying to pay their fare on the car. In some cases, its fraud as they are trying to not have to pay their fare as they are going into a free transfer point where they can get a free transfer for the rest of their trip.

Even riders who have the Presto card cause delays as they go looking for it once on a vehicle.

Riders who arrive at the stop as the vehicle arrives have some excused in not having fare ready, but only to a point if transferring from one line to another line.

Every age group has their slow rider and some is because they don't care. Others have good reasons, but not many.

I watch a old couple today that held the bus up and it was the fault of the driver. The driver didn't pull up to the stop correctly, not kneeling the floor for them and waiting until they pay their fare. Both had canes and bags and took the women a minute or so to put the bags down and go into her purse to get the fare. The bus was at peak load.

There is no excuse for this but people do it all the time. I have seen people stand at a stop for up to 10 minutes waiting for a bus or streetcar, only to see them board, and THEN start rifling through their pockets or wallets for a token or change, like they didn't think of it until the door of the bus or streetcar opened for them to get on.

People not exiting by the centre doors is another problem. In years past, drivers used to routinely ask people to exit by the back doors at busy stops, and the PCC streetcars even had "LEAVE BY CENTRE DOORS" plastered up behind the driver. A lot of time is lost by people waiting to board while others get off at the front, while sometimes no one is leaving by the centre door. Very frustrating.

Many stops don't have fare boxes on the platform.
There are none north of College, and the northbound one at College was out of order this past week.

Presto...the readers are all normally sensitive enough to pick it up when I can just wave my wallet.

Most of the issues I've found is people asking the driver questions, which is perfectly reasonable, although they don't always move aside to let other riders on.
That, or not knowing the cash fare...which although can be easily found online is not always displayed on the vehicles.

There is no excuse for this but people do it all the time. I have seen people stand at a stop for up to 10 minutes waiting for a bus or streetcar, only to see them board, and THEN start rifling through their pockets or wallets for a token or change, like they didn't think of it until the door of the bus or streetcar opened for them to get on.
Everyone keeps saying this, but I can't say I've observed it too much delaying stuff. Normally they stand off to the side finding their change while the other's pass, and the vehicle gets moving again.

What always get me, are those who have been standing at the stop with a lot of other people, then get a couple of steps onto the streetcar, and start asking the driver where the streetcar is going, and asking for directions. Like you couldn't have asked all the people at the stop, who likely know the area better than the driver!?!?

Something we'll no longer see on the new streetcars!

Mind that a lot of the time, people are just getting to the stop when the vehicle arrives, or they're carrying lots of items in their hands. They may not have enough time to find their fare.

People not exiting by the centre doors is another problem. In years past, drivers used to routinely ask people to exit by the back doors at busy stops, and the PCC streetcars even had "LEAVE BY CENTRE DOORS" plastered up behind the driver. A lot of time is lost by people waiting to board while others get off at the front, while sometimes no one is leaving by the centre door. Very frustrating.

1975! EXACT FARES please! Before that year, passengers would be buying tickets from the driver. Even longer wait times.

Couldn't find the year when conductors were eliminated in place of PAY ENTER. Likely with the opening of the Yonge Subway in 1954.

1975! EXACT FARES please! Before that year, passengers would be buying tickets from the driver. Even longer wait times.

Couldn't find the year when conductors were eliminated in place of PAY ENTER. Likely with the opening of the Yonge Subway in 1954.

It was smart of them to combine EXACT FARES with selling tickets and tokens at convenience stores (Beckers and Macs).

oops, they weren't smart.

Before the PAY ENTER, it was PAY AS YOU PASS.

Passengers entered at the front of the streetcar, the driver only drove. They did not pay until they exited at the center or rear doors, passing the conductor as they did. They bought tickets from the conductor, if they needed to. When you paid, you got a transfer. The rear of the streetcar (with most of the seats) were for passengers who paid.

Interior_of_a_Peter_Witt_streetcar_of_the_TTC,_showing_the_pay_upon_exit_system.jpg

With the new low-floor streetcars, the machines have basically meant the return of the conductor and the PAY AS YOU PASS, but renamed PROOF-OF-PAYMENT.

Attachments

• Interior_of_a_Peter_Witt_streetcar_of_the_TTC,_showing_the_pay_upon_exit_system.jpg
    Interior_of_a_Peter_Witt_streetcar_of_the_TTC,_showing_the_pay_upon_exit_system.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Concerns raised about TTC fare inspectors carrying batons & handcuffs

Read More: http://www.citynews.ca/2014/12/11/c...tc-fare-inspectors-carrying-batons-handcuffs/

A Toronto city councillor says he’s disturbed that the TTC’s new fare inspectors will be armed with batons and handcuffs. Coun. Gord Perks says arming the inspectors is “inappropriate” and sends the wrong message to commuters.

“Right now the TTC is putting staff onto transit vehicles that are armed with batons and carry handcuffs that don’t have any supervision or public accountability through the police service. That’s just wrong.” --- Since August, some fare inspectors have been carrying what the TTC calls “self-defence” tools, as they inspect proof-of-payment on streetcar routes that allow all-door boarding.

Back