News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ottawa is using the maintenance facility to assemble vehicles. Once assembly is complete, it's the maintenance facility. I don't think there's any plans to utilize it as an Alstom assembly facility - particularly as Alstom won't own the facility.
I see. That puts a very different spin on it. I'm obliged for that info.

The basis for you saying this is... ?

The facilty and company as a whole has a history of slow starts and good performance once the order becomes routine. The subway cars we have now were delayed as well for first delivery with supplier problems. Now there is little concern with subway car delivery. Same is true for many products Bombardier has created including new CRJ models and the current CSeries delay. Hopefully Bombardier can figure out how to either better estimate delivery timelines or improve performance on delivery of new products but once the units start to come out they trend not to have later further issues.

If this order is to be completed by 2019, Thunder Bay is going to have to push 4 cars a month out the door and I will believe that number after 2 years of delivery. Thats for TTC alone, let alone Kitchener and Metrolinx orders.

I am sure this will be on TTC agenda next week along with the issues with the current fleet.

TTC is going to have to step back and look at how they going to order the other 60 cars as well what they will do with the next generation of 7 cars TR for line 1. Better to built an equal 7 car train than try to add a 50' car.

By the time the Line 2 needs a 7th car train, TTC will be on the 3rd generation for line 1.

Time to find another supplier.

Maybe they can continue supplementing the streetcar fleet with buses. Do whatever it takes to provide the service, it doesn't matter whether it's buses or streetcars.

I was surprised the first time a 504 bus pulled up to the stop instead of a streetcar, but hey, it works, it got me where I was going.

Maybe they can continue supplementing the streetcar fleet with buses. Do whatever it takes to provide the service, it doesn't matter whether it's buses or streetcars.

I was surprised the first time a 504 bus pulled up to the stop instead of a streetcar, but hey, it works, it got me where I was going.

Where do you (TTC) plan to find the buses and drivers to do this on a daily base?? TTC can only put x buses out there on as needed based without stealing from other routes.

If the mayor wants the cancel bus service reinstated, how is TTC going to do this as well replace the streetcar routes?

The dark days of TTC has caught up to it now and will take years for TTC to fix the problem as well having the funds to do so. That $3 billion subway can buy a lot of buses and garages, as well putting more LRT out there.

Where do you (TTC) plan to find the buses and drivers to do this on a daily base?? TTC can only put x buses out there on as needed based without stealing from other routes.

If the mayor wants the cancel bus service reinstated, how is TTC going to do this as well replace the streetcar routes?

The dark days of TTC has caught up to it now and will take years for TTC to fix the problem as well having the funds to do so. That $3 billion subway can buy a lot of buses and garages, as well putting more LRT out there.

I have no idea where they'll get the buses. However, it certainly seems easier for them to buy buses than new streetcars.

They're currently supplementing the streetcar lines with buses now, so clearly, it's happening! And it's improving service on those lines.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the replacement buses are being pulled off other routes rather than being spares. If that's the case riders are taking a hit somewhere. Also, many of the replacements have been announced as 1:1 which clearly does not replace the lost capacity.

Agree with Drum118, we should start talking about taking the 60 car order that we won't see until after 2019 (even in a best case scenario) and giving it to someone else and they can start pumping them out as soon as possible...

The uptown cars could be delivered by several manufacturers since the spec is close to many other modern LRTs. The downtown order (if green lighted) is way less portable - it makes less sense to try and move that one.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the replacement buses are being pulled off other routes rather than being spares. If that's the case riders are taking a hit somewhere. Also, many of the replacements have been announced as 1:1 which clearly does not replace the lost capacity.

So, are you guys saying we should not be using buses to supplement the streetcar system, as they are currently doing?

If our current streetcars are failing left & right and we can't get new ones, it seems like the only option to me, given how busy the King line is, even if a less busy line is "taking a hit".

The buses are pretty useless in the east end. Sometimes they've been feeding them in on Gerrard, but then they were running down Broadview not going into service until Queen. They seemed to have sorted that out, but the last couple of days, they were all sitting on King East, and went into service at Parliament - which means they don't cover most of the route east of Yonge! Not much better eastbound ...

Can't wait for the streetcars to be back - at least when they short-turn they get you to Broadview, and you can catch a 505. What are you supposed to do at Parliament?

Agree with Drum118, we should start talking about taking the 60 car order that we won't see until after 2019 (even in a best case scenario) and giving it to someone else and they can start pumping them out as soon as possible...

This would be horribly expensive. Remember it's a heavily customized design for the TTCs rather unusual specs (turning radius being one of the more challenging).

You mean other than the fact they've got about 12 on the go up in Thunder Bay right now?

I was asking for information. I do not have information. You provided some (I'm assuming it's true, because I don't know who you are). Thank you.

12 on the go seems to be a good number. How will this translate into delivery - do we expect 4 out the door per month?

Also thanks to EnviroTO for the background on Bombardier.

Back