News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the replacement buses are being pulled off other routes rather than being spares. If that's the case riders are taking a hit somewhere. Also, many of the replacements have been announced as 1:1 which clearly does not replace the lost capacity.

With the Pan Am Games coming this summer, their plan is to use buses to transport athletics, staff, and the public between venues. What kind of buses will they be using during the games? Wouldn't they be receiving them before the games? Can't the TTC make use of them before (and after) the games? Will the "paint" or configuration of those buses not allow them to be used by the TTC until the summer? Or are those buses just rusting away as they come in and put into storage someplace? I would ask to "borrow" those "Pan Am" buses.

TTC is going to have to step back and look at how they going to order the other 60 cars

Is it possible/plausible/likely that the TTC tack on more cars and pay for it out of the penalties for Bombardier's late deliveries, i.e. get freebies for the penalties instead of money/change orders?

With the Pan Am Games coming this summer, their plan is to use buses to transport athletics, staff, and the public between venues. What kind of buses will they be using during the games? Wouldn't they be receiving them before the games? Can't the TTC make use of them before (and after) the games? Will the "paint" or configuration of those buses not allow them to be used by the TTC until the summer? Or are those buses just rusting away as they come in and put into storage someplace? I would ask to "borrow" those "Pan Am" buses.
If it's like the ones that were in Vancouver for the 2010 games, they'd come from an American leasing company - presumably just in time.

I'd think that it would be simpler for TTC to make their same arrangements with the same (or similar) company.

I believe the company was http://www.sblbus.com/

I had assumed the province would be contracting coach bus services for Pan Am staff and athletes.

12 on the go seems to be a good number. How will this translate into delivery - do we expect 4 out the door per month?

That's a good question. 4405 should be pretty much ready to go by now. The others will be in various states of completion, but if it takes them 4 months to assemble a car, the 12 cars is only going to net us 3 cars a month - and that's provided they are approved by the TTC for delivery. If they aren't and need to be reworked, than that could delay things even further.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They could ask Olivia Chow. She seemed to have a line of new busses and drivers ready to roll.

This would be horribly expensive. Remember it's a heavily customized design for the TTCs rather unusual specs (turning radius being one of the more challenging).
That ended up being smoke and mirrors. Less engineering was found in designing an off the shelf model for the current fleet than expected, but TTC hasn't seen that cost saving nor will since it was part of the bid package.

Altson stated in written form to me and presented to TTC in 2005 that they could have 2 prototype cars in Toronto by 2007 that met most of TTC needs, but the chair of TTC wouldn't have it since they weren't coming from Thunder Bay in the first place.

If TTC went with another supplier for the other 60 cars, TTC will still recover the back charge easy.

There are Trams out there that have the same turning radius as TTC and new cars have no issues dealing with them let along gauge different.

From January CEO Report:

Streetcar Procurement and Implementation
There are currently three (3) TTC owned revenue service LFLRVs operating well on the 510 Spadina line.
Transfer of technology and manufacturing from Europe to North America, including Mexico, has led to quality, design and process issues that have caused significant delays in new car shipments from the Carbuilder. Delay impacts have led to layoffs in the Bombardier Thunder Bay plant due to part shortages from Mexico and from external suppliers.
TTC continue to work with Bombardier to expedite deliveries while ensuring that all quality and safety objectives are met. Shipment of the next car (4405) from Thunder Bay is anticipated before the end of January, 2015, with commissioning and entry into service occurring before the end of February, 2015. The fifth revenue service car (4406) is anticipated to ship before the end of February, 2015 with commissioning and entry into service expected before the end of March, 2015. Production in Thunder Bay is currently impacted beyond car 4406 due to the supply chain issues.
TTC is anticipating a detailed schedule commitment from Bombardier before the end of February, 2015. Bombardier has stated through the media that it remains committed to delivering all 204 vehicles of the base LFLRV contract order to the TTC before the end of 2019.

Back