News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^more like...1 per month for the next two months...then, "we know, but you're not gonna be happy when you hear it..."
sadly... probably true.

However, if that is true, then a couple of things flow from that

1. TTC shouldn't have to make a decision on the 60 downtown cars quickly since the assembly line is likely to be working over a longer timeframe.
2. A saving on capital payments due to fewer cars accepted into service. TTC can either spend that on a refresh of the ALRVs (better air dryers for a start) or on other capital projects to reduce the call on City capital funds. At this point I suspect the latter rather than the former.

sadly... probably true.

However, if that is true, then a couple of things flow from that

1. TTC shouldn't have to make a decision on the 60 downtown cars quickly since the assembly line is likely to be working over a longer timeframe.
2. A saving on capital payments due to fewer cars accepted into service. TTC can either spend that on a refresh of the ALRVs (better air dryers for a start) or on other capital projects to reduce the call on City capital funds. At this point I suspect the latter rather than the former.

1. Presumably there's a chance that the price would go up if the option lapses should Bombardier feel that the Flexity's are costing more to produce than expected. That's what happened with the TR's when we placed subsequent orders.

The TTC will be "overhauling" (rebuilding?) 30 ALRV cars.

New peak-period services require a larger fleet. When mayoral candidate Olivia Chow touted better bus service as a plank in her campaign, the TTC’s response was, essentially, “We can’t get any buses.” Its story has now changed. According to the Operating Budget Analyst Notes (page 60):

In August of 2014 … there appeared to be no opportunity to procure additional buses in 2015. Through continued discussion with various Bus Vendors, an opportunity arose to procure up to 50 buses with delivery commencing in late 2015.

Storage space, another of the TTC’s problems, will be obtained on leased property until a new bus garage can be built later this decade.

As for streetcars, the TTC has changed its plans for its 52 “ALRVs,” the two-section cars that operate mainly on Queen Street: rather than retiring them as new cars enter service, it will now be overhauling 30 in order to provide an additional decade’s worth of life. Deliveries of the new cars are expected to ramp up from 27 vehicles in 2015 to 40 per year by 2018 to get Bombardier back on schedule.

For both bus and streetcar service planning, this represents an important change from “We can’t run any more service” in 2014 to an aggressive “We will run as much service as we can” in 2015.

Source: http://torontoist.com/2015/01/reading-the-fine-print-the-ttcs-2015-budget

If this is at all related to Bombardier, I hope that they're going to be paying the bill for this.

Given the timeframe for the delivery no. It seems to be in lieu of the 60 additional new streetcars that they have once again failed to fund.

Hmm... I wonder how much this will push back the retirement of the ALRVs. Are we talking about a handful of years, or decades?

Hmm... I wonder how much this will push back the retirement of the ALRVs. Are we talking about a handful of years, or decades?
It's a 10-year life extension, to occur from 2015 to 2017. So 2027?

Or until someone funds more Flexities I suppose is the realistic answer. Shades of the 1987-1992 19-car PCC rebuild, which were retired in 1995.

Last edited:
The current goal is to make Ontario accessible to people with disabilities by 2025.

The ALRV's (and CLRV's) are not currently accessible. To extend them beyond 2025, they'll maybe need some sort of wheelchair lift or a change in legislation to make the rebuilt streetcars exempt (historical exemption?).

The current goal is to make Ontario accessible to people with disabilities by 2025.

The ALRV's (and CLRV's) are not currently accessible. To extend them beyond 2025, they'll maybe need some sort of wheelchair lift or a change in legislation to make the rebuilt streetcars exempt (historical exemption?).
You can achieve accessibility requirements without making every vehicle or entrance accessible. Only some subway entrances are being made accessible - not all of them.

They can easily run those ALRVs only rush-hour as every 3rd or 4th car on a couple of frequent routes and still meet Ontario's accessibility requirements.

Though with the 10-year extended lifetime ending between 2025 and 2027, presumably they'd be looking at another order of new streetcars in that time frame.

The question is how extensive will the refit be? A coat of paint and LED lighting or new control modules and air dryers?

Given that Thunder Bay have supply chain issues beyond 4406, one wonders if the parts issues relate to anything which would be involved in bringing 4401 and 4402 to service spec. Previously I had thought TTC should hang onto them as long as possible for operator training but I never thought the line would be grinding so much by this point.

It's a 10-year life extension, to occur from 2015 to 2017. So 2027?

Or until someone funds more Flexities I suppose is the realistic answer. Shades of the 1987-1992 19-car PCC rebuild, which were retired in 1995.

Why get rid of them even then?

204 Flexities, plus an additional order of 60, and the 30 ALRVs = 294 extra long streetcars.

2025, the year of the streetcar!!!

Those extra 60 Flexities can't tendered to someone else?
Bombardier is the only company that can build a Flexity.

I suppose they could retender ... but given that Bombardier came in at about $5 million a unit, and the next lowest bid was $7.5 million, then probably better just to take up an option if they order these anytime soon. Keeps the maintenance simpler as well. I'd guess they will have to retender if they don't order until the 2020s.

Even if the ALRVs are life extended, they are loud, suck for accessibility and have poor performance characteristics. If they survive to 2025 and 264 Flexities are in service I think they will have done their part. They could have been fitted with a middle section like some other systems have done (e.g. Dallas) but I suspect TTC did not want there to be an impression that anything other than replacement was possible for that fleet.

The question is how extensive will the refit be? A coat of paint and LED lighting or new control modules and air dryers?
The budget is $23.5 million (plus another $1.3 million in 2020/2021). So $0.8 million per vehicle.

Not sure what's involved, but that should give some people a good idea of what's going to happen.

They could add a low-floor middle section to the ALRV's?

Tallinn_Tram_Mere-pst-02.jpg

bvb680-4.jpg

04300015.jpg

It's been done.

[video=youtube_share;xZp_hcmLbm8]http://youtu.be/xZp_hcmLbm8[/video]

Attachments

• Tallinn_Tram_Mere-pst-02.jpg
    Tallinn_Tram_Mere-pst-02.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 522
  • bvb680-4.jpg
    bvb680-4.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 561