News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Unfortunately, any new mixed-traffic streetcar operations are a political non-starter, and Dufferin doesn't have room for a ROW. There's a reason why every streetcar project in the past ~30 years has been a semi-exclusive ROW streetcar. The mixed traffic streetcar network as is big as it's ever going to get.

I wish that wasn't true. Too many missed opportunities imo, such as this one we're talking (Dufferin N of Bloor). The only info I've ever really seen disproving new mixed-traffic operations has come from here. So I'm wondering if there is in fact official reports claiming that new mixed-traffic routes are unbuildable. If it is true I'd think high insurance costs might be the leading reason, and not so much a lack of political will.

And I guess an overall problem - and one which has been debated on here and by the City/TTC/Metrolinx - is where the legacy streetcar system should stop, and more modern standard gauge LRT should start.

There was about 100 metres of track on Dufferin between Hallam and Lappin until 1947, part of the Harbord Line. That was the only non-seasonal, regularly-scheduled streetcar service ever to operate on any part of Dufferin Street.
True - though it's closer to 50 metres - and less than 50 metres from the property line for Hallm to Lappin! Though reading through the Dufferin history, there seemed to be a regular afternoon car service to Dufferin loop during both wars - but never seemed to be AM.

Unfortunately, any new mixed-traffic streetcar operations are a political non-starter, and Dufferin doesn't have room for a ROW. There's a reason why every streetcar project in the past ~30 years has been a semi-exclusive ROW streetcar. The mixed traffic streetcar network as is big as it's ever going to get.
With current politics, though things can shift. And there is almost a kilometre of new mixed-traffic streetcar tracks down Leslie from Queen to Commissioners.

I believe that the TTC generally tries to avoid new mixed traffic trackage, I believe they originally wanted the leslie tracks to the new barns to have their own ROW, even though it wasn't even in service track. Took a bit of a fight from the locals to get what actually happened, which was mixed traffic trackage.

Like anything, its not IMPOSSIBLE, just that the TTC probably wouldn't be very happy if they were stuck with a new streetcar service with no ROW.

This was Bloor Street showing its streetcar tracks with its cobblestones.
201252-duffys-bloor-margueretta-1960s.jpg

Automobile drivers avoided these tracks because of the rough ride these cobblestones gave them. Repeat, "avoided" and "cobblestones". Want automobiles to stay off the streetcar tracks, use cobblestones. Unfortunately, the automobile lobby wouldn't like that.

I believe that the TTC generally tries to avoid new mixed traffic trackage, I believe they originally wanted the leslie tracks to the new barns to have their own ROW, even though it wasn't even in service track. Took a bit of a fight from the locals to get what actually happened, which was mixed traffic trackage.

Like anything, its not IMPOSSIBLE, just that the TTC probably wouldn't be very happy if they were stuck with a new streetcar service with no ROW.

Though having streetcars (or buses) in their own ROW is likely to allow faster or more reliable service the TTC seems to refuse to accept the evidence put forward by many observes (Steve Munro does many analyses) that show the major problems with TTC reliability are caused by poor or non-existent route management not conflicts with other traffic.

This was Bloor Street showing its streetcar tracks with its cobblestones.
Automobile drivers avoided these tracks because of the rough ride these cobblestones gave them. Repeat, "avoided" and "cobblestones". Want automobiles to stay off the streetcar tracks, use cobblestones. Unfortunately, the automobile lobby wouldn't like that.

Not to mention how much cheaper and easier it was to dig up the tracks and fix them, compared to pouring the whole thing in concrete and having to jackhammer all that back up some day. And the stones themselves were reusable.

- Paul

My dream for transit in this city would be the rebuilding of a number of streetcar routes. I should frame this as idle dreaming but the idea of rebuilt routes on Roger's Road, Dundas north of Bloor, Bay/Dupont, Church, Mount Pleasant and Sherbourne, as well as an Ossington service, the extension of the Bathurst car to at least St. Clair, St. Clair to Jane, service on Dufferin and Coxwell would just be amazing. Maybe streetcars on Woodbine and Main Street too? Obviously there are issues with mixed-traffic streetcars and we likely require other transit projects well before considering routes such as these but damn would it be nice.

edited out the Gunn's loop thing, shows how well I know the current network lol

Last edited:
I thought I saw somewhere that plowing them in deep snow was an issue as I think the TTC is responsible for them if they aren't part of a street.

That's what those rotary sweeper work cars were for. Maybe Bombardier could rustle a few of those up for us.

- Paul

Though having streetcars (or buses) in their own ROW is likely to allow faster or more reliable service the TTC seems to refuse to accept the evidence put forward by many observes (Steve Munro does many analyses) that show the major problems with TTC reliability are caused by poor or non-existent route management not conflicts with other traffic.

Route management is not the cause of the reliability problem, it is merely a solution to the reliability problem (and a half-assed solution at that).

In my experience, poor reliability is caused by large crowds plus lack of all-door boarding.

If a streetcar or bus falls behind schedule, for any reason, the crowds waiting at the forthcoming stops continue to grow, and so the time it takes for the streetcar or bus to let passengers on also grows, causing even more delays, which cause even larger crowds and so on in a neverending cycle. Having all-door boarding solves this problem, because the larger crowds at stop no longer delay the streetcar or bus. Of course, ROWs also help to prevent delays.

Lack of reliability isn't a problem that is unique to the streetcars. Bunching of buses is pretty common in Mississauga too. Any high ridership route, especially those served by longer articulated vehicles, will have that problem, unless they have an all-door boarding scheme.

I once saw 4 articulated buses in a row bunched together going northward along Hurontario near Fairview Rd several years back. How does that happen? Traffic congestion, large crowds, long vehicles, front-door boardng policy. Those are the cause. Route management was not the cause, merely a possible solution.

Fourteenth new TTC streetcar enters service

January 14, 2016

The TTC's newest low-floor streetcar, car number 4415, entered service this morning on the 510 Spadina route, bringing the total number of new streetcars in service to 14.

New accessible streetcars are equipped with PRESTO machines and ticket validators to allow customers to pay their fare. The machines will also allow customers without a smart card to purchase a single-ride Proof-of-Payment (POP) ticket using coins or tokens.

The new car joins the other 13 accessible, low-floor streetcars in service on the 510 Spadina and 509 Harbourfront routes. The new streetcars feature a higher passenger capacity, air conditioning, and are fully accessible for customers using mobility devices.

All TTC streetcar routes are POP, allowing customers with a transfer or valid TTC pass to board at any door.

The TTC's low-floor streetcar project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada Federal Gas Tax Fund, the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto.

Back