News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that there are a lot of small things (fastener shipments, etc) and stuff that will all get disrupted. There are a lot of parts that go into each train. All of a sudden they're out of M8 X 20 bolts. Now what? Oh, the shipment got delayed so we have to call up another supplier. Oh, they're all screwed up too because of the bridge. Yeah we have a train almost complete but can't proceed in putting the farings on because a door isn't bolted on, etc - that kind of stuff.

Yeah, that stuff happens all right. All I can say is, if I were the new project manager at T Bay whose job is to get this order back on track, and my supply guy admitted that they had less than a month's worth of *anything* in inventory, down to and including the transfer cutter - it would be an ugly meeting.

- Paul

Yeah, that stuff happens all right. All I can say is, if I were the new project manager at T Bay whose job is to get this order back on track, and my supply guy admitted that they had less than a month's worth of *anything* in inventory, down to and including the transfer cutter - it would be an ugly meeting.

A month is far too short for parts sourced from overseas. It can take 8 weeks just for transport via boat if the Chinese factory has it in stock; containers rarely take a direct route unless you can fill most of the ship yourself. 1 month means shipping by airmail which is a pretty expensive way to move an LRV even when it is in tiny pieces.

The bridge was closed for less than 24 hours. There have been longer snow storms. The bridge is not an issue.

Bridge is only open one way at a time (alternating) and each truck is inspected on a case-by-case basis if it can cross.

Glad to hear it's not an issue, though! Thanks for the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

- Paul
I think the ugly meetings are Finance regarding any parts contracts priced in USD...

There has never, ever, ever been a finite plan to pursue an EA for the streetcar extension past Gunns Rd. The TTC has had it on its "wants" list for many years, and the roadway allowance has been kept intact all the way to Scarlett (and beyond) enough to allow it to be built. But a plan to produce an EA, with money allocated? Never.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I guess you better tell TTC Manger of Planning & Service he full of shit since he was the one making the presentation to the Commissioners in the first place to do so.

Why has the city being buying up property on St Clair for years as they come up for sell???

Why is there an ROW being built in the New CP Scarlett Rd Bridge schedule to get underway in 2017 if things are still on track?? TTC has visions of the line going to Kipling as well a branch line on Scarlett Rd and on Dundas back to Dundas West Station. A new EA will have to be done for Dundas since the existing tracks have been removed.

The commission felt it was best to delay the EA until there was 1 year or more of continue service on the new ROW once it was fully completed. It was also defer to allow the backlash to settle down, as well having real data to show why it was better to built the ROW than run mix traffic.

The new Sheriff arrived and the EA never surface. Still on TTC books, but down the list these days.

Last edited:
I guess you better tell TTC Manger of Planning & Service he full of shit since he was the one making the presentation to the Commissioners in the first place to do so.

Why has the city being buying up property on St Clair for years as they come up for sell???

Why is there an ROW being built in the New CP Scarlett Rd Bridge schedule to get underway in 2017 if things are still on track?? TTC has visions of the line going to Kipling as well a branch line on Scarlett Rd and on Dundas back to Dundas West Station. A new EA will have to be done for Dundas since the existing tracks have been removed.

The commission felt it was best to delay the EA until there was 1 year or more of continue service on the new ROW once it was fully completed. It was also defer to allow the backlash to settle down, as well having real data to show why it was better to built the ROW than run mix traffic.

The new Sheriff arrived and the EA never surface. Still on TTC books, but down the list these days.

How would an extension of St. Clair along Dundas to Kipling station go in its own ROW? There's not enough room.

A branch line on Scarlett? In a ROW? To go where?

Installing tracks along Dundas through the the Junction? In mixed traffic?? I thought the TTC was clear that they had no intention to expand any streetcar routes in mixed traffic. I just don't see how they'd sell that idea. The car obsessed denizens of Toronto, which remains a powerful lobby despite Rob Ford's downfall, remains a disturbingly powerful force that politicians fear. Ain't gonna happen I say, as much as I'd like it to.

How would an extension of St. Clair along Dundas to Kipling station go in its own ROW? There's not enough room.

A branch line on Scarlett? In a ROW? To go where?

Installing tracks along Dundas through the the Junction? In mixed traffic?? I thought the TTC was clear that they had no intention to expand any streetcar routes in mixed traffic. I just don't see how they'd sell that idea. The car obsessed denizens of Toronto, which remains a powerful lobby despite Rob Ford's downfall, remains a disturbingly powerful force that politicians fear. Ain't gonna happen I say, as much as I'd like it to.
Dundas was in mix traffic before it was removed and was to be again. Parts of Dundas can support an ROW, but most would have to be mix traffic if on street parking was to remain.

Scarlett is an unknown with a thought going to the airport or what. I don't think there is a real plan as to what will happen once the line reach Scarlett Rd, other than going back to Dundas West Station to allow the 512 to get into/out of service faster than the current route. It would be nice to go to Kipling, but may never happen.

As much as TTC may want its own ROW, it knows it cannot be done 100% in various places. Any thing beyond Scarlett Rd is at least 20 plus year down the road, if at all.

There was talk taking the line straight across the Hunber River and connecting to Islington.

Read my post again Drum. I know about the property purchase. I even know about the approved EA and completed construction project to widen St. Clair West. I know about the Scarlett Bridge. I know about the planned tracks on Dundas back to Dundas West Station (and that they were shot down). Yes, the TTC (and by extension the City) wants to make this happen. The problem is that it is planned to happen eventually.

Never has any money been planned to be put aside to start the EA process, ergo, there has never been planned to be an EA.

Will there eventually? I sure hope so.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Is the TTC still sticking with the 505 Dundas for the first east-west route to have the new streetcars?

I would imagine a significant amount of stops have been made accessible by now across the network, so maybe at this point it would make more sense to run them on a busier route first such as King?

How have the new FLEXITY Outlook trains been operating in the snow? Any problems with snow building up and lifting them up? These are the first low-floor trams in Canada.

How have the new FLEXITY Outlook trains been operating in the snow? Any problems with snow building up and lifting them up? These are the first low-floor trams in Canada.
They apparently worked fine last year, better in the cold than the old ones too.

They apparently worked fine last year, better in the cold than the old ones too.
I don't recall any issues last winter with snow or cold - though most of the cars were CLRVs. We've hardly had enough this year to comment. Seems to be a complete non-issue though.

Just saw the link from Steve Munro's site to streetcar fleet planning for the year:
https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/streetcarfleetplan_201601.pdf
This lays out the revised schedule per line per year. They also finally updated the TTC's own webpage for the roll-out. It was starting to get a bit embarrassing telling us that Dundas was going to be converted fully by last year:
https://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/New_Vehicles/New_Streetcars/index.jsp

Notable, the plan for 2016 requires 50 deliveries. That's pretty daunting given that we're around 2 weeks out from the last one.

Back