News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Perhaps there's something in a funding contract with one of the governments, that utilizes all the advertising space.

Is the advertising space the same dimension of any existing vehicles? If it's different, they might not have enough vehicles yet, to be worth anyone's while.
It's been about a month since I rode an LFLRV, but I believe they require the use of adhesive ads. It's like the closed side of the new Nova buses.

The only discussion of trains in Episode 4 is the retirement of the '67 stock and the sensitive door edge issues... and one slightly angry British conference call (in other words, a conference call) with Bombardier. Hardly a war and certainly the whole documentary isn't focused on this. It is a great series, though - one I highly recommend.

The only discussion of trains in Episode 4 is the retirement of the '67 stock and the sensitive door edge issues... and one slightly angry British conference call (in other words, a conference call) with Bombardier. Hardly a war and certainly the whole documentary isn't focused on this. It is a great series, though - one I highly recommend.

I found them on youtube and I think it would be really cool if the TTC and the CBC could maybe do a series like it.

The only discussion of trains in Episode 4 is the retirement of the '67 stock and the sensitive door edge issues... and one slightly angry British conference call (in other words, a conference call) with Bombardier.
There was media coverage at the time as well.

Though, I haven't seen it since BBC broadcast it - but I thought I recalled scenes on a train up to Derby, and scenes at Derby as well.

Hardly a war ...
It's Britain. A slightly angry conference call is bleeding Armageddon! :)

It is a great series, though - one I highly recommend.
There was an earlier series of the same name, that ran for 3 years on ITV as well, which is similar - and one episode is particular interesting, as they had just by chance been shooting for it during the 7/7 attacks on the tube.

Also of interest from BBC was their 3?-part Crossrail documentary a year or two ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7h1w

That seems more like a TTC design/spec issue than a Bombardier issue.

Mostly. The report I read said the TTC felt the prototype stage was rushed. In future tenders they're going to require an additional year or so of actual service during the prototype stage.

Bombardier takes some blame simply for not bringing it up. They know what features are standard on all trains. Keep in mind this contract went straight to Bombardier without a public tendering process, but even then lots of companies provide bids of $N for your exact request and $N + 1 for this variation.

If I forgot to spec a pair of switches in a rack order, I'd be pissed if my HP sales rep didn't mention it and shipped a rack with 40 boxes without any switches, particularly when the last rack I ordered included the switches. One of the jobs of the vendor (IMO) is to upsell me on obvious additions. If they let me make that mistake too often, I'd be looking for a new company (one that better covers my ass).

Last edited:
How have the new FLEXITY Outlook trains been operating in the snow? Any problems with snow building up and lifting them up? These are the first low-floor trams in Canada.

I have a dim racial memory that Steve Munro stated that LFLRVs have exactly the same ground clearance as {A|C}LRVs, but cannot find any such reference now.

That's great to hear. Although I suppose the roads are much more thoroughly ploughed in downtown Toronto where the streetcars run than in other areas.

That's great to hear. Although I suppose the roads are much more thoroughly ploughed in downtown Toronto where the streetcars run than in other areas.

Not the streetcar right-of-ways, such as on The Queensway. The streetcars just plowed on through.

They tend to be priority routes for snow clearing. The big difference to Waterloo and Kitchener however is salt usage. Years ago living in Waterloo, I used to find that salt usage in Waterloo was much better than in Kitchener, but more recently, it appears if salt usage in Waterloo is much lower than it used to be, and even the regional roads don't get enough.

Toronto however sprays all the roads frequently, and normally before the snow comes, including the side streets. You don't see snow building up on side streets in the winter.

Though the streetcars routes tend to work better in the storm than bus routes, as the buses have problem, especially with hills, that doesn't cause the streetcars any issue. Occasionally in particularly heavy storms, they simply run a couple of streetcars on the lesser used routes overnight (4 of the 8 current routes with streetcars on them run 24 hours now), and that stops the snow building up.

And for the moment, pretty much the entire "fleet" fits in the new barn at night......

It simply hasn't been cold enough this year to build up any ice on the car undersides or on the roads.

Flexities have a little added weight per axle, but I'm not sure if it's enough to make it less likely to ride up over ice buildup.

- Paul

The problem remains to be people who park their automobiles without thinking that there are other users on the street, such as streetcars.

^^^ man those are some pretty tight tolerances. He looked to be parked pretty responsibly. The way most of us would have parked.

The problem remains to be people who park their automobiles without thinking that there are other users on the street, such as streetcars.

Easy. Summon Tow Truck! Impound offending vehicle! Fine owner a few thousand dollars and/or add a few demerit points!

Back