News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The problem remains to be people who park their automobiles without thinking that there are other users on the street, such as streetcars.

^^^ man those are some pretty tight tolerances. He looked to be parked pretty responsibly. The way most of us would have parked.

Easy. Summon Tow Truck! Impound offending vehicle! Fine owner a few thousand dollars and/or add a few demerit points!

I see the main problem with it is putting the streetcars in the curb lane rather then the middle of the road like we have her in Toronto. I get that it saves money and having to build islands for passengers to get on and off on. I couldn't imagine what it would be like her if cars could park that close to the tracks here.

Washington DC has major clearance issues and one reason its streetcar line hasn't open up. Cincinnati & Kansas streetcar divers call for a tow truck when they come upon a driver over the white line while testing. Edinburgh has had a number of cases where tow trucks had to be call since they couldn't find the driver parked over the line.

All the places have warn drivers that their car will be tow if over the line to the point they are bylaws in place now for some of them.

There are other places that are having this issue including TTC during the winter months when snow gets pile up at the curb.

The new cars will take longer to pass cars getting too close to them compare to the old fleet.

As for modifying the production schedule for Sheppard 6 cars has to do getting more shop space to build more streetcars and has very little effect on TTC bottom line, other being a few months early.

Well, if you have enough people... :)

I saw a clip recently of something similar to this with a Volkswagen up! that I was looking for, but found this one instead.

Last night I was riding a new car the 510 SB on Spadina to Union, but the operator announced at Bremner that it was short-turning at QQ & Spadina because "the car has to be reset". I've never heard of this, so I tweeted about it, and someone responded that this is a fairly regular occurrence on the new cars. I also have it on fairly good authority that this reset takes about 5 minutes, which is why the car is taken out of service.

Can anyone expand on what this is, why this is required, and if this is something that BBD expects to resolve?

The TTC website is not reporting any diversions/delays so it may be a false alarm or nothing major. BUT the TTC tweeted a short diversion 3+ hours ago at King/Queen.
13 of the 14 streetcars are in service right now; all except 4415. 11 are on 510, with 3 additional ALRVs. So nothing missing. Either 4415 got hit, or more likely, it was minor enough that they continued into service.

Edit - Monday. And 4415 is in service now. So nothing major.

Last edited:
Maybe we should tell Bombardier to make their streetcars in Vienna, Austria, instead of Mexico.

London's trams were made in Vienna. And they were from Bombardier.

Too bad London is not a world class city, since it also has streetcars/trams.

Last edited:
No sign of nothing. I haven't even seen any mentions of 4416 testing - which seems odd, as it was supposedly delivered to Hillcrest just before New Years.

I think I remember seeing on CPTDB a while ago that at least 4417 was in the Thunder Bay yard testing. Would have guessed that it could have been on the way by now.

It's possible it's slipped into town on a different flatbed than usual; but I'll put my money on a problem.

Possibly. BBD may have acquired a few more flatbed cars from CP that you aren't aware of, if they plan to eventually speed up delivery.

That being said, I would assume they will be getting different flatbed cars for the crosstown/waterloo vehicles, since they are a different track gage.

Maybe we should tell Bombardier to make their streetcars in Vienna, Germany, instead of Mexico.

London's trams were made in Vienna. And they were from Bombardier.

Too bad London is not a world class city, since it also has streetcars/trams.

Vienna is in Austria, not Germany. My god.

Back