News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's interesting that the consensus about crowding on vehicles is - people should suck it up and expect to stand. We've habituated to very heavy loads on transit. I'm feeling nostalgiac for the days when G, M, and H1 cars had 3-2 seats and nobody was bothered by the narrow aisles because the standee crowds were so much smaller. Same thing with the wonderful library-quality calm and quiet that one found at the rear of a PCC car. ;-)

The leaning pads are a great compromise - folding seats are great too. After reflection I concluded that diaphragms with narrow openings are the ones that bother me most, the wider the opening the better - in part because that affords the best arrangement of handrails.

- Paul

there are seats.... they just face eachother and take up less space. I take transit so I want to be comfy to and it is not about sucking it up. But there is a reality of you need to set your priorities. I guess the question is how much extra space is added by this configuration. Also it should be noted that the aisle configuration for whatever reason (probably because seats are divided into twos or threes) encourages one person to sit down and then put their bag on the other seat wasting more space. This does not happen as much on a bench.

I propose that someone creates a separate thread for "other" streetcar news/opinions/ideas/examples etc.
we have mods which intervene when we go way off topic. In my opinion this isnt but thats not my job to say. I dont think we can have threads for everything tho.

I'm also guilty of going off topic, but it is inconvenient to go through several pages before finding an update as to the location and delivery timing for the new streetcars.

Yup! One of the first things I noticed.

A bit off topic, but here are Calgary's new Siemens 'Series 9' S200 LRVs. Their appearance is quite striking, inspired by a Calgary Flames goalie mask. I don't envy the interior though. Very open, but not many seats. The seats are also simple moulded plastic.
sacramento32.jpg

1297794334658_ORIGINAL.jpg

Wow, that looks pretty sweet. If anything I think they borrowed some of the concept for the livery from Toronto. Obviously the high-floor wouldn't work here, but this is still a very nice looking car. Bikes, strollers, wheelchairs, standees... there's room for everybody.

I know it's been discussed before, but I still think it may've been a good idea to split the new streetcar order to two bidders. Yes it would've cost more. But one we'd get more streetcars faster. And two, we'd get variety. People could say: "nah, I'll wait for the next streetcar. I prefer the openness of the Variobahn vs the cramped Outlook".

I'm also guilty of going off topic, but it is inconvenient to go through several pages before finding an update as to the location and delivery timing for the new streetcars.

I agree. The title of this thread makes it explicitly clear what should be the focus should be.

Wow, that looks pretty sweet. If anything I think they borrowed some of the concept for the livery from Toronto. Obviously the high-floor wouldn't work here, but this is still a very nice looking car. Bikes, strollers, wheelchairs, standees... there's room for everybody.

I know it's been discussed before, but I still think it may've been a good idea to split the new streetcar order to two bidders. Yes it would've cost more. But one we'd get more streetcars faster. And two, we'd get variety. People could say: "nah, I'll wait for the next streetcar. I prefer the openness of the Variobahn vs the cramped Outlook".

What if we'd gone with different suppliers for different streetcar lines?

We would have been seen as being remarkably stupid? Having several models to maintain would probably mean that all streetcar mechanics (and operators?) could not fix (drive) all the cars and the TTC would need to maintain a far larger inventory of spare parts.

I'm not sure about that being a good idea, might be a bit much. Though I think two separate rolling stocks for the future legacy network isn't too much to ask. Rollout could've been done in half the time, and the A/CLRVs would've been retired twice as fast.

Back