News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

PS - I have complained before about how operators deal with the float that TTC builds into its schedules, particularly on the 501. If the operator isn't feeling the bathroom urge, they may dog it on the last lap to the loop, rather than race to get there and then sit still for longer - some people like to keep moving, some like longer breaks. It's really annoying to look at Nextbus and know that your connecting bus is leaving in 7 minutes, and the operator is coasting because they are ahead of time. My own preference is that operators not lollygag towards the end of the route, unless they are ridiculously ahead of schedule. That time saved should be shared with the passengers.

The TTC uses two different methods of dealing with this.

The first is run time - the amount of time that the car is actually supposed to be on the street for. In some cases - streetcars especially - the TTC builds far too much of this into the schedule, and in some others, not enough.

The other is recovery time - this is supposed to be the amount of time that the operator and the vehicle have in the loop at the end of the route. This is (supposed) to allow the car to able to leave on schedule, even if they are a minute or two late.

Most operators that I know of don't want to dawdle towards the end of the route, as getting there early is just as much of a benefit to them as it is to you. What's likely happened is that they've previously gotten a message from control to watch his or her timing as they were already too early elsewhere on route or during their shift.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Sometimes it happens because the cars are early. If only 2 new cars fit in the loop, and you are running one every 2 minutes, it's very hard not to have 3 cars there on occasion.
And on that note, I was just at Broadview station. With an ALRV almost ready to leave, the following CLRV barely fit, and the following CLRV was stuck out on Broadview waiting.

So it can't even handle 2 Flexitys. At best the second Flexity is going to have to unload by the front-door only, and at the same time, block traffic.

I really don't know how this is going to work without modifying the tracks at Broadview station.

I'm not sure that's True, Paul.

Spadina Stn? Room for how many Flexities at one time, fully within in the platform?

Then consider service frequency, where service, as scheduled has under 4m between vehicles, that's exceedingly tight to allow for a washroom break, and keeping service flowing.

I think its an entirely reasonable point that large headway services, and/or those with comfortable room for at least 2, and maybe 3 flexities in their loop/platform area don't require
relief crews; many routes fall into a different category (subject to time of day).

Mind you, if relief crews pay for themselves by allowing fewer vehicles to operate the same or more service, then that may merit their application irrespective of congestion.

The maintenance + capital costs per year per car is between $300,000 and $500,000 (300 is based on a 20 year amort with no maintenance....500k is a guess).

If you can save 1/2 a car you have broken even by adding an extra person.

let's look at Spadina. On average the running time is 120 minutes. 4.5 min headways. If you can cut this down to 115 minutes (by eliminating the layover at the end) there is exactly 1 less car required for one more person.

This assumes you are managing based on headways (vs timed)...but with this frequency this is how you should be managing. Becomes forced headway management. You arrive at the station, someone else drives off with your streetcar, you grab some water and a washroom break and in 4.5 minutes you leave the station on the next streetcar.

Reactions: BMO
And on that note, I was just at Broadview station. With an ALRV almost ready to leave, the following CLRV barely fit, and the following CLRV was stuck out on Broadview waiting.

So it can't even handle 2 Flexitys. At best the second Flexity is going to have to unload by the front-door only, and at the same time, block traffic.

I really don't know how this is going to work without modifying the tracks at Broadview station.
That's why I think the TTC needs to get the city to allow them to make the streetcar lights into block signals so they can tell a streetcar driver when the block in front of them is occupied or at least have one just before a loop

I emailed the TTC asking the reason that the Flexties are running on 504, and have yet to get a response. Also, I agree with EastYorkTTCFan. They need to put up separate lights at Bloor and Dundas and Bloor and Danforth so that the operator of a ALRV/Flexity knows if there is a CLRV or bus is laying over.

Exactly the situation which I was describing.

Broadview.PNG

At Broadview, it might be feasible to move the 505-504 track switch further out, perhaps even onto the street, so that the 504 track could take a wider swing with the loading platform moving towards Erindale and the 505 platform could be extended.

Depending on whether the fun police would permit loading while the car is curved *in a new build scenario*, maybe 20-40m could be gained on the 504, 10m on the 505.
Broadview2.PNG

Attachments

• Broadview.PNG
    Broadview.PNG
    435.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Broadview2.PNG
    Broadview2.PNG
    668.7 KB · Views: 280
Ar Broadview they could move one of the streetcar platforms to the other side of the teminal, by looping the tracks the other way around, the other side of the terminal is much longer, probably long enough for two LRV's. Or also lengthen the terminal to the east into the space where the parking lot is.

Ar Broadview they could move one of the streetcar platforms to the other side of the teminal, by looping the tracks the other way around, the other side of the terminal is much longer, probably long enough for two LRV's.
Where do you put the 4 bus platforms?

Or also lengthen the terminal to the east into the space where the parking lot is.
That's the only option I see.

Back