News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Automation Gallery is not imagining things. It was mentioned somewhere at some time that a certain number of the streetcars for the downtown routes might be a shorter version. But I haven't seen anything on that for months, and I can't locate it now.

The 204 new (30m long) single-end low-floor LRV's will eventually replace the 196 (15.4m long) CLRV's and 52 (23.2m long) ALRV's. These will carry 260 passenger crush load (CLRV = 132, ALRV = 205).

Transit City will need 364 additional double-ended low-floor LRV's. These will be even larger in size than the 204 initial order.

100 to 132 of the TTC's current CLRV/ALRV's could be over-hauled (with air-conditioning) for another decade of service, for use during rush hour. That leaves the remainder for scrap, museum pieces, restaurants, or for sale.

Thank you for that info :)

I will definately miss riding high on a street car :(
I wish they would keep it the same height, but ad a hydro left for wheelchairs and strollers... I know it would take more time, but the funner the ride, the greater the impulse to take it instead of walking or biking... the new rides look bland and boring... subway cars on the streets.

Well, I am looking forward to the new streetcars. I was in the French Riviera last month and I fell in LOVE with their LRT, they put grass around some of the tracks and it looked sharp! Hopefully Toronto can learn from the Nicoise :)

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 274
Nice LRT

Nice, France - great LRT.

I think the coolest LRT I saw in Europe was in Amsterdam - it's on a one track alignment except at stops where it switches to two, then back to one. The cars are pretty old school looking but they fit right in with the city.

Also, check out the Athens LRT -similar concept but with overhead wires.

View attachment 497

Attachments

• Athens tram.jpg
    Athens tram.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Athens tram2.jpg
    Athens tram2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Athens Tram3.jpg
    Athens Tram3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 211
Nice, France - great LRT.

I think the coolest LRT I saw in Europe was in Amsterdam - it's on a one track alignment except at stops where it switches to two, then back to one. The cars are pretty old school looking but they fit right in with the city.

This single track section of LRT is not the norm in Amsterdam, though it IS cool and if one had greater faith that the TTC could avoid head-on crashes might be useful here for a few tight spots - like the promised link under the rail bridge on Cherry Street.

The other thing I liked in Amsterdam was to see lift bridges - over a few major canals - with steeetcar tracks on them. The tracks AND the overhead wires just all lifted up. VERY cool. :)

re: Athens LRT pic

I think if Toronto gets grass on its streetcar ROW, the grass might look even worse than in that photo if not properly maintained.

I also wonder about winter maintenance. Will the grassy ROW survive the winter, or do we have to lay down new sod every spring?

I personally think grass would be an excellent way to help green the concrete jungle :) and make it more aesthetically pleasing; thus making the ride more enjoyable for commuters!

re: Athens LRT pic

I think if Toronto gets grass on its streetcar ROW, the grass might look even worse than in that photo if not properly maintained.

I also wonder about winter maintenance. Will the grassy ROW survive the winter, or do we have to lay down new sod every spring?

There are grasses that are drought resistant and slow growing. I think the TTC should at least experiment with it on the Queensway right-of-way, just to see the results over a couple of years.

There are grasses that are drought resistant and slow growing. I think the TTC should at least experiment with it on the Queensway right-of-way, just to see the results over a couple of years.

ABSOLUTELY! Id love to see this type of thing... any chance we can get to incorporate some green in our city, Im all for it!

With cars driving on the tracks, you'd be lucky if the grass lasted a week... nevermind the winter.

It's assumed that grass would only be installed on streetcar Right of Ways which are, which we have. Also, Transit City lines are supposed to only use ROWs or tunnels.

I'm guessing that tracks installed with grass would be far more suceptible to the freeze-thaw cycles of winter. The Queensway doesn't seem to be the smoothest ride in the city.

Back