News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Question: when the overhead wire has been adapted for pantograph use, will the heritage fleet need to have pantographs installed? New Jersey Transit put pantographs on their PCCs on the Newark Penn Station line when they switched; they looked horribly out of place.

I'm a fan of transit vehicles and have always loved streetcars. Not so much the ones here but more the ones in Europe. But I can't say I've ever noticed or cared about this middle light until people on here have brought it up.

Though I acknowledge that it's important for some of you, just as it's important to me if 2 seconds of footage from Season 1 of Star Trek The Next Generation are missing.

That said, I won't miss this light.

A lot of people think of certain features of streetcars as integral to the experience of having them in a city. For some, it's the middle headlight. For others, it may be the lounge-like rear seats of the CLRVs. For me, I'd be quite disappointed not to hear the clang of a streetcar gong--even if electronic. There's a certain romance to gongs clanging amidst Victorian streetscapes like on Queen Street. I think that the lack of a gong would detract from the atmosphere of a street with streetcars.

You will hear the clang on these cars if they follow the ones in Europe that I have heard. It will not sound the same as what we have heard in the past, but a clang. You can hear the clang on one or more videos shot in Nice as well else where.

As for the headlight, have to change with time just like having no open windows anymore like the PCC or the current fleet. Not a fan of the blue light and they can be replace with Green light since very thing is now accessibly except for the current streetcar fleet. When one sees the new cars, they will know it's an accessibly car.

Prefer to see another colour on these cars as well the seating.

A lot of people think of certain features of streetcars as integral to the experience of having them in a city. For some, it's the middle headlight. For others, it may be the lounge-like rear seats of the CLRVs. For me, I'd be quite disappointed not to hear the clang of a streetcar gong--even if electronic. There's a certain romance to gongs clanging amidst Victorian streetscapes like on Queen Street. I think that the lack of a gong would detract from the atmosphere of a street with streetcars.

The middle light is integral to the streetcar experience? Really? I'm sorry but that's just insane.

The middle light is integral to the streetcar experience? Really? I'm sorry but that's just insane.

It makes it much easier to see when a streetcar is coming. Nothing else on the road has a light in the centre like that. I guess the blue lights on the new cars will serve the same purpose, if they're bright enough.

TTC service alert at 5:14 am, Saturday, Sept 29:

512 St Clair Streetcars replaced by buses between Gunns Loop & St Clair West Stn due to scheduled power cut for arrival of new LRV.

So, did anyone see any of its arrival?

I think these are quite handsome but as I said earlier these is conditional upon them not being ruined by tons of advertising over the body of the train.
I still think the Phoneix LRT are the most attractive in N.A.

From the National Post, at this link:

to1115-street-cars.jpg

Please note that the Bombardier Flexity Outlook mentioned in the above image is NOT the new streetcar prototype delivered for the TTC to be used downtown NOR the Bombardier Flexity Freedom to be used on the Transit City LRT lines such as the Crosstown. The new streetcar will be tested to make sure they can handle the 10.973 m curves downtown.

Noticed on Steve Munro's blog that they are going to build a small ROW on Dufferin from King to the Dufferin loop. Anyone else know if there are other parts of the TTC streetcar route that will add a ROW lane or at least middle curb stations?

Noticed on Steve Munro's blog that they are going to build a small ROW on Dufferin from King to the Dufferin loop.
I think you might have misinterpreted Steve's use of the word right-of-way.

Anyone else know if there are other parts of the TTC streetcar route that will add a ROW lane or at least middle curb stations?
The only thing that jumps to mind is Bathurst from Lakeshore to near Front, when they rebuild that bridge over the tracks - which isn't much, but there often seems to be more congestion there, than anywhere else on Bathurst when I use that route.

TTC service alert at 5:14 am, Saturday, Sept 29:

512 St Clair Streetcars replaced by buses between Gunns Loop & St Clair West Stn due to scheduled power cut for arrival of new LRV.

So, did anyone see any of its arrival?

Yep i saw 4400 when it was about to turn into hillcrest. stood at the gates for four hours on saturday morning waiting for them to unload 4400 onto the tracks!!:)

Back