News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This in TTC CEO Report for Board next week...

Over the last several months, significant reliability issues have occurred with the new fare gates. The TTC has recently completed the installation and commissioning of new gates at Union Station and will complete that project. However, in consultation with Chair Colle, installation at the remaining 10 stations has been paused until the TTC is satisfied that the contractor, Scheidt and Bachmann, has addressed the reliability issues.
Earlier this month, TTC staff met with our contractors and agreed to implement remedial measures. We know this will push our timelines for completion of the project out, but is more important to me that we fix what we know is broken and improve the performance of the existing gates before we proceed with final installation at very busy stations such as Finch and Sheppard-Yonge.

Also, on p 16. " Scheidt & Bachmann have a technician at Union Station for all service hours until we are assured the operation is stable and reliability is at a high level. A plan to correct the issues we are experiencing with the operation of the faregates is in development. "
So they say having long line ups due to fare lines being blocked off and limited Presto readers is better than having kind of reliable fare gates? Unless they will need to replace some of the hardware in all the fare gates, I don't see how waiting to install will be better in the long run.

So they say having long line ups due to fare lines being blocked off and limited Presto readers is better than having kind of reliable fare gates? Unless they will need to replace some of the hardware in all the fare gates, I don't see how waiting to install will be better in the long run.

Not to mention all the people (often including myself) who are taking the TTC for free because automatic entrances are left open but unattended during construction, with the farebox locked so they can't pay even if they want to.

Geez, because it is such a brilliant move not to stress test how the system functions at very busy stations during the first phase of the initial rollout, and now they are feeling it at the very tail end of this conversion process instead. Bunch of buckets of bolts.

Im surprised it took them that long to realize there was a problem. Why didn't they trial 1 station and implement fixes before rolling it out to the rest if the line. This just makes everyone look dumb

Because we need to have Presto at all stations, whatever form it is in, instead of prioritize replacement on the basis of usage. <rolleyes>

AoD

Why didn't they trial 1 station and implement fixes before rolling it out to the rest if the line. This just makes everyone look dumb

They did trial two stations - Wellesley and Main Street. I'm not sure what changes were made after those trials.

Because we need to have Presto at all stations, whatever form it is in, instead of prioritize replacement on the basis of usage.

This isn't unreasonable. Using the TTC with Presto was way too complicated, so it should've been a top priority to get Presto rolled out system-wide as soon as possible. Obviously this means leaving the stations that already had Presto access towards the end.

Bring remote, and also using Presto when I visit Toronto I had just assumed the TTC had at least joined the 20th century since I haven't used cash on the TTC in ages.
Your brought a remote? Was someone pulling your leg? You just need a card, not your TV zapper ...

Quite frankly - if you don't know nothing - why comment and cause confusion?

But there's still no explanation of what happens to cash users on the bus.
There's been tons of explanation of what happens.

There's a box. It's called a fare box. You put your cash fare, in the the fare box.

Just for my own curiosity, did they prep the gates for eventual zone or distance pricing? When they were purchased, the TTC was pretty adamant about not having such a system, that changed (or you could say was overruled by Metrolinx) much later
Nothing was overruled by Metrolinx. Metrolinx doesn't have that power.

The gates can handle tap off. As to what software runs behind that, and decides to open/close the gate, or charge a fare ... that's nothing to do with the gates.

Wonder if a pair of the PRESTO gates could be installed on the Queens Quay Portal?

img_2141.jpg.size.custom.crop.867x650.jpg

From link.

lol

Later than the rest, but the Union entrance at Brookfield is now Presto Only.
0826AD76-8EF8-4FE5-8340-A690A1D0ECD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 0826AD76-8EF8-4FE5-8340-A690A1D0ECD6.jpeg
    0826AD76-8EF8-4FE5-8340-A690A1D0ECD6.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 696
There's a box. It's called a fare box. You put your cash fare, in the the fare box.

I meant transfers which are 1800's style as you pointed out, not how do you pay on the bus and you know it. Since there's going to be no ticket collectors, that matters. And as a person who lives outside of Toronto and an occasional user of the TTC, it's probably more relevant to me than locals who will have a pass making it moot for them.

Anyone know why the presto fare gates at St. Andrew haven't been "turned on" yet? They've been there for about a month now if not longer collecting dust. Its such a bad system now where there is that one presto reader that you just tap that people have to crowd around. Tons of fare evasion going on since the TTC employee manning the entrance doesn't do anything.

Anyone know why the presto fare gates at St. Andrew haven't been "turned on" yet? They've been there for about a month now if not longer collecting dust. Its such a bad system now where there is that one presto reader that you just tap that people have to crowd around. Tons of fare evasion going on since the TTC employee manning the entrance doesn't do anything.

Perhaps this has something to do with it?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...tion-due-to-mechanical-software-problems.html

This has been a colossal failure.

The gates are physically installed though. I'd think it would be better to have gates that malfunction occasionally than the current set up at St Andrew.

Back