News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you mean? Is it INSIDE the booth?
I havent seen it, but i'll take the guess that its located where the booth is and doesnt not activate an actual entrance - its just simply a reader like at the temporary set ups when stations are getting the gates installed. When there is no one in the booth, there is a full height door/gate that is closed - so tapping would do nothing is my guess.

One problem with pausing gate installation is the half finished stations like College. The northbound escalator was left out of service impacting accessibility for disabled and elderly while extra staff will be required long term to manage everybody walking through the non-functional gates, with the associated fare evasion.

Queebs Park is also half done and the traffic is a joke...
this is becoming a joke. both parties are just blaming eachother and sitting on their hands while thousands shamelessly ride for free at ttc's expense.
are they not concerned about lost revenue? what excuse do they have to either installing temp readers on the lines or just putting back the old turnstyles for now?
just pure laziness and egotistical pride

this is becoming a joke. both parties are just blaming eachother and sitting on their hands while thousands shamelessly ride for free at ttc's expense.
are they not concerned about lost revenue? what excuse do they have to either installing temp readers on the lines or just putting back the old turnstyles for now?

The TTC never had any issues leaving things half-done for extended periods of time - you have to wonder what they're smoking sometimes.

AoD

Osgoode's just sitting half-done as well. It's amazing how many people I see tapping and swiping the readers, not putting together that the gates are powered off and open.

You maybe need to look at the April 2018 TTC Board agenda for an update on what they are doing before getting so indignant? From CEO Report:

"Fare gate supplier Scheidt and Bachmann performed testing of the faregates at Eglinton Station and believe they have a solution to the “tap, no enter” and “ghosting” issues identified. The company will replace computer modules within the gates and we are awaiting a timeline on this work. The corrective action will focus on the gates with the worst availability at our busiest stations. I will keep the board apprised of this critical modernization work as it develops."
and
"PRESTO •
The TTC now meets with Schiedt and Bachmann on a weekly basis to discuss installation, commissioning and improving reliability of the faregate network. • The fare gate construction was put on hold at the end of February to address reliability issues with the existing gates. The programme started again after Easter with all new gates commissioned with the recent hardware and software modifications to ensure better performance from the beginning. • Union Station is the only station of the 10 that are under construction where work remains on track. • No new installations have occurred at the other stations under construction and no new station entrances have gone into revenue service since the pause began. • The TTC is working closely with its gate manufacturer Schiedt and Bachmann to address the issues."

You maybe need to look at the April 2018 TTC Board agenda for an update on what they are doing before getting so indignant? From CEO Report:

"Fare gate supplier Scheidt and Bachmann performed testing of the faregates at Eglinton Station and believe they have a solution to the “tap, no enter” and “ghosting” issues identified. The company will replace computer modules within the gates and we are awaiting a timeline on this work. The corrective action will focus on the gates with the worst availability at our busiest stations. I will keep the board apprised of this critical modernization work as it develops."
and
"PRESTO •
The TTC now meets with Schiedt and Bachmann on a weekly basis to discuss installation, commissioning and improving reliability of the faregate network. • The fare gate construction was put on hold at the end of February to address reliability issues with the existing gates. The programme started again after Easter with all new gates commissioned with the recent hardware and software modifications to ensure better performance from the beginning. • Union Station is the only station of the 10 that are under construction where work remains on track. • No new installations have occurred at the other stations under construction and no new station entrances have gone into revenue service since the pause began. • The TTC is working closely with its gate manufacturer Schiedt and Bachmann to address the issues."

well 1 month of potentially losing millions of revenue via unchecked access points while they sort through the issue already a huge problem. The fact that they didnt even attempt any interim measures for fare collection
is inexcusable. Ive walked by many access points myself and they have maybe 1 reader but the rest of the openings are just there without anyone on the ground to enforce.
How much longer will this delay last until theve restarted and caught back up? They are really just banking on either the ignorance or the goodwill of torontonians to still tap on non functional or gateless access points.
If this was the US this would be a huge scandal in itself.

Construction seems to be back underway now. The hoarding came off at one of the automatic entrances at Sheppard-Yonge tonight and there were a few people working on the remaining fare gates.

I used the Brookfield entrance to Union Station Subway. Love it but I wonder...

Why do they still have a POP machine there?

- It is only a Presto entrance
- you are suppose to get a POP when you board so it should not be a valid transfer for the 6 bus
- You can print off your Presto card summary if you need to get reimbursed from work

I can't think of a rational reason other than it's always been there. Does anyone have any ideas?

TTC resumes installation of Presto fare gates
Motors in the doors weren’t working properly and a separate communication problem between the card reader and the doors caused gates to not open when they should. There was also an issue with “ghost flapping,” which is when the gates open on their own for no apparent reason.

The cost of additional parts and work required to address the gate malfunctions will be borne by Scheidt & Bachmann, not the TTC.

Why do they still have a POP machine there?
If you use Presto on TTC you are still supposed to take a transfer if you are using a TTC Times Two transfer. So if this is the start of a trip, and then (maybe there are train issues at Union) you take the subway to Dundas West. GO to Weston, and change back to TTC, you need to have gotten a transfer at Union.

Unlikely I'll admit - but that is the rule.

Presumably there are no plans to start removing the POP machines until there aren't any need for transfers, and they decided not to cherry pick.

Union Station south gates might be going in:
B38A1871-6C6E-441E-A245-36BD2A56F89A.jpeg

Attachments

• B38A1871-6C6E-441E-A245-36BD2A56F89A.jpeg
    B38A1871-6C6E-441E-A245-36BD2A56F89A.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Back