News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

well by that logic all of the current gates have voided warranty. Im sure that the warranty period covers defects under normal usage.
I'm just kidding. of course they will be replaced, but what happens to the old motors after?

I don’t understand why the TTC would halt the installation schedule at this point. According to the story, they’re about 80% done anyways and the failure rate is about 5%. Why not just continue and get it done, with additional technical oversight and an understanding that the faulty motors are going to be replaced? Why prolong this even more?

Additionaly, wouldn’t it be better to get the infrastructural work done across the system? Even in the event that a worst-case scenario occurs and the gates have to be completely replaced, a simple swap out of the gate has to be easier if the initial ground work is already done. I don’t know this, but at this point wouldn’t gates from another manufacturer still make use of the same or similar underground work/circuitry etc.?

Last edited:
I don’t understand why the TTC would halt the installation schedule at this point. According to the story, they’re about 80% done anyways and the failure rate is about 5%. Why not just continue and get it done, with additional technical oversight and an understanding that the faulty motors are going to be replaced? Why prolong this even more?

I can think of 2 reasons: a). It may have been direction from the legal department. Ceasing installation of a product shown to be faulty gives a lawsuit for failed delivery a whole lot more teeth, or b) the vendor issued the stop-work request or recall in which case new installations may not be under warranty (with a special exemption for Union).

I'd place bets on TTC Legal giving this order.

I can think of 2 reasons: a). It may have been direction from the legal department. Ceasing installation of a product shown to be faulty gives a lawsuit for failed delivery a whole lot more teeth, or b) the vendor issued the stop-work request or recall in which case new installations may not be under warranty (with a special exemption for Union).

I'd place bets on TTC Legal giving this order.
I could also be that the remaining station entrances require major work done on them (for example Yorkdale) and they want to fix the issue before they have to go back and do all of the stations again.

It's sad that they still don't even know when they'll START construction at St George, let alone when it'll be done. I'm calling it, that'll be the last entrance in the system to even have Presto, never mind gates.

This entrance finally has a Presto reader. Still, it is only available when the booth is staffed.

I could also be that the remaining station entrances require major work done on them (for example Yorkdale) and they want to fix the issue before they have to go back and do all of the stations again.
Surely the major disruption is to get power and communications to the gates? If a new gate needs a better motor it should be a fairly easy replacement that requires no real construction.

What do you mean? Is it INSIDE the booth?

The St George Street exit from St George Station is not completed. They had the old style automatic entrance gates while only having an open collector booth during rush hour.

Think of it like the Cumberland exit from Bay Station and the 2 St Clair East entrance at St Clair Station prior to the conversion to Presto. Unless there is a person in the booth, the only entrance at St George with a presto reader is closed as there is a door preventing entry.

Surely the major disruption is to get power and communications to the gates? If a new gate needs a better motor it should be a fairly easy replacement that requires no real construction.
No I meant other projects that will be occurring at the same time for example with Yorkdale they are redoing he main entrance to allow easier access into the station. Power and communications for presto got ran at the same time that WiFi was being installed to all of the stations it was the same company that did both.

How much do these barriers actually cost?
IMG_2943.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 345

Back